Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 691 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 146398 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1095 on: March 23, 2013, 02:04 PM »

In 2003 we had a massive power outage which affected the Northeast and Mid West. Over 55 milllion people were affected. We had no power for 2 days, but what was really scary was finding out our cell-phones wouldn't work, you had to have a land-line. Also, it originated in New York so initially there were rumours abound that it may be a terrorist attack (post 9/11 just 2 years earlier) but you couldn't find out anything because no phone/computer/tv. It was just like you see in the movies. You don't realise how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it.
Have you seen the programme Revolution?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1096 on: March 23, 2013, 02:09 PM »

A few matches to watch today. And a few players to keep an eye on.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1097 on: March 23, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Have you seen the programme Revolution?
[/quote

It starts here soon think the end of this month, seen it advertised im looking forward to it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1098 on: March 23, 2013, 02:53 PM »

We do have coverage starting from today at 3:30pm this afternoon; I am not sure though if that will be live or they will just start from two hours behind.
Yeah, noticed that thanks Emma. Probably delayed tho'.
The coverage is all over the place.. some live, some delayed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1099 on: March 23, 2013, 03:05 PM »

MH & Angie.. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Revolution, but didn't really get into it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I'm thinking back to those 2 days. Anything that required electricity was inoperable, ie: getting gas for your car (the pumps wouldn't work), some stores opened but you needed cash (no credit/debit) and everything had to be calculated (no checkout facilities). No fridge/freezer/stove (unless gas, and even then you would need something to ignite it with). I'm trying to remember if we could even flush our toilets. I don't think we could.

Luckily it happened in the summer so we had warmth and light, but it would have been catastrophic if it had been in winter.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1100 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13 PM »

^ am not a fan actually, don't like anything about him, but am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
No, didn't offer it as an excuse but said some days it was worse than others and I did read somewhere that he was icing it after every match.
Could be a precaution, might not.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1101 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19 PM »

...what about teenagers who post information on FB giving details of a forthcoming party, something which is intended only for their friends to see - yet in no time it's gone viral and hundreds of strangers turn up, very often at their unsuspecting parents' homes and trashing the place in the process?

Oh yeah, like most things in life, you have to be responsible in how you use it.  A car in the wrong hands can be a killer, for example.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1102 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04 PM »

I actually didn't hear about Delpo mentioning his wrist much-according to a journo on twitter, he wouldn't cite fatigue as a reason for the loss,and said he hadn't had any wrist pain during the day either.He said he just a bad day and Kamke played really well.
I suspect it was a combination of things, whether he was prepared to mention them or not.  He could have been concerned in case his wrist flared up again (and he definitely mentioned it during IW). Also I thought he looked a bit jaded in the first set, which I suppose was to be expected so soon after IW.  Stamina isn't one of Delpo's best attributes.  I had hoped the rain break might help him but, although I didn't see the second set, it obviously didn't.

I'm certainly not trying to denigrate Kamke's performance because from the way I saw him playing I think he could have posed a bit of a problem for any of the top players. It'll be interesting though to see how he fares against Jurgen Melzer.

You don't realise how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it.
I know, and it's quite scary really.  Back in Jan/Feb1972 electricity had to be strictly rationed in the UK because of a national miners' strike.  We had rotas in place to make sure that each area took it in turn to be switched on or off and householdlers and businesses were given supplies of candles. It seemed like a bit of fun to begin with, especially as the office had to close early because by 3 pm it was getting too dark to see, but after a couple of weeks it began to get decidedly wearing.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 23, 2013, 05:21 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1103 on: March 23, 2013, 06:21 PM »

Bellucci takes first set 7-6(7-5) against Janowicz.  6 DFs and 31 UEs from Jano.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1104 on: March 23, 2013, 06:28 PM »

For anyone on twitter, RD_Tennistalk is worth a follow. Quite entertaining.

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk1h
Cilic's shirt has a giant ice cream cone on it

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk53m
Janowicz botches an easy drop shot. Brazilian fans celebrate like Bellucci won the calendar year grand slam.

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk46m
Nouni just gave Bellucci a time violation for no reason. Time for Nouni to get demoted back to WTA matches.

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk39m
Janowicz DFs on BP, Brazilian crowd goes apeshit

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk21m
oh GOD Janowicz has lost his mind

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk4m
Klizan loses 6 games in a row. Ends set by hitting a second serve as hard as he can. DF.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1105 on: March 23, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Bellucci takes first set 7-6(7-5) against Janowicz.  6 DFs and 31 UEs from Jano.
A lively atmosphere here in 1st set. JJ was 4-2 up, then did 5 DFs in 2 games, got a bit cross, Brazilian fans jeering, JJ encourages them, then starts complaining about noisy crowd...

Also in Andy's corner of the draw  -Seppi through v Bedene 7-5 5-7 7-5 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1106 on: March 23, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk1h
Cilic's shirt has a giant ice cream cone on it

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk53m
Janowicz botches an easy drop shot. Brazilian fans celebrate like Bellucci won the calendar year grand slam.

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk46m
Nouni just gave Bellucci a time violation for no reason. Time for Nouni to get demoted back to WTA matches.

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk39m
Janowicz DFs on BP, Brazilian crowd goes apeshit

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk21m
oh GOD Janowicz has lost his mind

Ricky Dimon‏@RD_Tennistalk4m
Klizan loses 6 games in a row. Ends set by hitting a second serve as hard as he can. DF.
lol

A lively atmosphere here in 1st set. JJ was 4-2 up, then did 5 DFs in 2 games, got a bit cross, Brazilian fans jeering, JJ encourages them, then starts complaining about noisy crowd...

Also in Andy's corner of the draw  -Seppi through v Bedene 7-5 5-7 7-5 
I only watched the TB but it did sound a bit of a zoo out there.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1107 on: March 23, 2013, 06:43 PM »

David Law quite entertaining in last few minutes as well! Not tennis, but has gone from

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis 20m
Miami Heat streak exposes another clear difference between Britain and America. In UK we would cheer for the underdog. Not here.

to
DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis 13m
Haha. I've been well and truly slapped down about my Heat streak view. Apparently everyone in the country despises them and their streak.

Glad to see a daft generalisation quickly squashed!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1108 on: March 23, 2013, 06:53 PM »

God damnit Jerzy get your anger issues sorted PLEASE!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1109 on: March 23, 2013, 06:55 PM »

God damnit Jerzy get your anger issues sorted PLEASE!

He's pissing around today. Not good.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 691 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »