Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 743 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 167991 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1260 on: March 27, 2013, 03:07 PM »

Does Ferrer swear? I don't think so. Not on a regular basis I don't think so.

Anyway, as boring as his game can be, I thought he played very well against Nishi the other day and at the AO.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1261 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08 PM »

Like you I can respect Ferrer for what he has achieved - he has certainly made the most of his talent. I just think he is a bit dubious. He's a similar age to Federer, but showing no signs of slowing down. Makes me suspicious, but as I say my likes and dislikes are completely irrational.

He peaked at a much later age than Federer though, as well as having a slump around late 2008 to 2010, so hasn't played anywhere near as many matches. But Federer's doing fine imo, still getting to the SFs of most slams (with some exceptions). I don't think he's slowed down that markedly, it's just that Rafa, Djokovic and Andy have improved so much and made the game more and more physical.

I don't think Raonic is arrogant - just ambitious. He wants to maximise his talent. Janowicz I don't think we know enough about yet to judge his character - he's relatively new to this level of the tour so probably just needs time to cope with his new status and to become more PR-savvy.

The beauty of tennis though is that there are lots of different styles for different people to enjoy. I personally really enjoy watching Ferrer and don't find him boring to watch at all  - but I can appreciate why some people don't enjoy watching his style of tennis.

I don't really dislike any player though. I have my favourites, and those I'm not keen on I tend to not bother watching their matches unless they're playing someone I'm a fan of. The style I like the least are the big servers, so I tend not to watch their matches very often.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1262 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12 PM »

Anyway, as boring as his game can be, I thought he played very well against Nishi the other day and at the AO.

Some times but not much.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1263 on: March 27, 2013, 03:15 PM »

He does from time to time, but he's improved a lot on this over the last few years. I definitely heard him say the f word in Spanish yesterday though! Though of course our commentators are oblivious to other players' swearing and only pick up on Andy's language...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1264 on: March 27, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Haas gave Nole a run for his money in Toronto last year. 6-3 3-6 6-3.

So he did, I'd forgotten all about that.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1265 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15 PM »

More than most, when things aren't going his way.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1266 on: March 27, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Ferrer threw a bit of a wobbler in Indian Wells and did swear. I remember Andrew Castle apologising (sort of) for it. I don't bother about things like that, they all do it from time to time.

I think the thing with Ferrer is that he is predictable. You know exactly what he is going to do. That's what makes him relatively easy for the top players to get through, and a nightmare for most of the lower ranked players.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1267 on: March 27, 2013, 04:21 PM »

Ferrer is apparently a chain smoker. That's not uncommon among Spanish players, but I wonder how he can sustain that type of running game when his lungs won't be in A1 shape.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1268 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Ferrer is apparently a chain smoker. That's not uncommon among Spanish players, but I wonder how he can sustain that type of running game when his lungs won't be in A1 shape.
Wow - that's something I never would have suspected.  Maybe it's the difference between where he is, and where he could be.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1269 on: March 27, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Start typing 'David Ferrer' into Google and you'll notice the first auto-suggestion is 'David Ferrer smoking'.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1270 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26 PM »

He peaked at a much later age than Federer though, as well as having a slump around late 2008 to 2010, so hasn't played anywhere near as many matches. But Federer's doing fine imo, still getting to the SFs of most slams (with some exceptions). I don't think he's slowed down that markedly, it's just that Rafa, Djokovic and Andy have improved so much and made the game more and more physical.

I don't think Raonic is arrogant - just ambitious. He wants to maximise his talent. Janowicz I don't think we know enough about yet to judge his character - he's relatively new to this level of the tour so probably just needs time to cope with his new status and to become more PR-savvy.

The beauty of tennis though is that there are lots of different styles for different people to enjoy. I personally really enjoy watching Ferrer and don't find him boring to watch at all  - but I can appreciate why some people don't enjoy watching his style of tennis.

I don't really dislike any player though. I have my favourites, and those I'm not keen on I tend to not bother watching their matches unless they're playing someone I'm a fan of. The style I like the least are the big servers, so I tend not to watch their matches very often.

'A lot of matches depend on me.'

'It's him adjusting himself to me, not me having to adjust myself to him'

Not arrogant?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1271 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26 PM »

I thought he'd stopped smoking? I seem to remember one of the comms a while back (can't remember where or when) saying that he'd stopped and eventually his ranking had gone up, because his results were better. I might be wrong, but it rings a bell.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1272 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34 PM »

I thought he'd stopped smoking? I seem to remember one of the comms a while back (can't remember where or when) saying that he'd stopped and eventually his ranking had gone up, because his results were better. I might be wrong, but it rings a bell.

He may have now. He's mentioned in this article as a smoker, along with a few others: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/27/athletics.golf?INTCMP=SRCH
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1273 on: March 27, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Not arrogant?

He could have phrased what he said better, but I don't perceive what he said as being arrogant - I don't think that was his intention. Certainly nowhere near the level of some of the things Fed has said over the years, where he's openly criticised Andy's game (especially in the early days). Hasn't Andy said before that he has to adjust how he plays when he faces a big server? The question was about whether Milos adjusts his game when he plays Andy - the truthful answer to this is 'no' as Milos's game lacks variety, so there's not really much he'd do differently facing Andy. The serve is key and that was what he was talking about here - he does use it to control many of his matches, though of course at the USO Andy's return was key. In turn, the fact Milos lacks a good return really limits him as a player.

Apart from this instance, I've not come across any more examples of Milos saying the wrong thing. In what I've seen of him, he always comes across as a down-to-earth yet very ambitious player, but I wouldn't call him arrogant.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1274 on: March 27, 2013, 05:03 PM »

Not arrogant?
Now this is either him being arrogant or being clever and creating hype, I'm not sure which it is... Now he can suck  up to his elders and be boring, or he can throw comments like that in, to create media hype around the match and build the tension. In my eyes tension around the match is always good. As long as he's willing to suck it up and accept defeat when he loses, like he did in the USO against Andy, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I kinda like his attitude compared to the likes of Dimitrov, Goffin, and the other ones in the young crop. Milos is confident, he has ATP titles and is not a born choker like the rest of the new crop.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 743 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »