Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 688 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 141670 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1305 on: March 28, 2013, 04:03 PM »

He did apologise to Andy for the comments if I remember correctly. So that's good - I doubt Virginia Wade has done the same!

His comeback is a great story though - a year ago he was ranked 145; now he's closing in on the top 10 - and only days away from his 35th birthday too!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1306 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42 PM »

He did apologise to Andy for the comments if I remember correctly. So that's good - I doubt Virginia Wade has done the same!

His comeback is a great story though - a year ago he was ranked 145; now he's closing in on the top 10 - and only days away from his 35th birthday too!
I agree Katie.  Haas managed to redeem himself by apologising.  Hopefully though he'll think before he comes out with remarks like that in future.

I didn't realise though that Haas's ranking had been so low.  Given what he's come through he's certainly an inspiration.

I just hope that the problem with Andy's leg/hip has been fully resolved.  I know he didn't seem to be concerned about it, but ... nervous
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1307 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Haas a fantastic record against Simon and frankly I would've been amazed had he lost. In-fact, he could be ranked above him next week. Not even an upset. Very under-rated player, will probably get back into the top 10 soon, at Tipsarevic's expense.

Got to fancy his chances against Ferrer, who has looked quite poor this year.

Yes, I agree. This win over Simon wasn't too surprising given that he already has a great H2H against him. However, he could have gotten a bit carried away after the big and convincing over Nole the previous day. So in that sense it's a great victory. Hopefully he'll get one more win over Ferrer. These two haven't played in a while, so it will be interesting to see how this goes as Ferrer seems vulnerable this year and perhaps, a bit jaded. Ferrer still leads 2-0 over Haas but it would be justified if Haas could make the final here. I'll take Haas any day over Ferrer because as consistent as Ferrer is, he doesn't have the game to pull a big upset as Haas and some others are capable of doing; plus, Haas has a very attractive game and can offer much more variety. Still, I am not sure if he'll be able to break through Ferrer's defense unless he has a specific game-plan going into the match tomorrow.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1308 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18 PM »

Usually a very interesting match  when a good defender plays a good offensive player so was surprised Simon didn't give Haas a better run for his money
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1309 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28 PM »

Facebook post from Jerzy Janowicz about the behaviour of Brazilian fans during his match against Bellucci:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jerzy-Janowicz-Official-profile/468389506563907

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1310 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Facebook post from Jerzy Janowicz about the behaviour of Brazilian fans during his match against Bellucci:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jerzy-Janowicz-Official-profile/468389506563907

He's dug himself a bigger hole there.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1311 on: March 28, 2013, 06:33 PM »

I think he has a right to say whatever he feels just like us.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1312 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35 PM »

The press will rip the guy open after that. That's what I hate about the press, unreasonable sods. The Pole doesn't need his face on every sports website.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1313 on: March 28, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Yep I can see the press not being impressed by this. But I also agree that he's entitled to put his own view across - and from what I've heard, some of the fans were being unreasonable towards him the other day. The press seem so keen to paint him as another Safin (in temperament), but they really don't know enough about him yet to do that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1314 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40 PM »

I am not into press so it doesn't matter to me what they have to say about this guy. I like to form my own opinion based on what I see.

And I don't think he should care about the press either and just mind  his own business.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1315 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45 PM »

I am not into press so it doesn't matter to me what they have to say about this guy. I like to form my own opinion based on what I see.

And I don't think he should care about the press either and just mind  his own business.

After what's been written about Andy over the years, I never take much notice of the press either.

I think he's at that stage of his career where he's probably reading a lot about what the press says. It's such a turnaround from all the goodwill shown to him at the Paris Masters, to now getting criticised. With time he'll learn to blank it all out I guess like all the players do.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1316 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49 PM »

I do get the feeling he likes attention though.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1317 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52 PM »

I do get the feeling he likes attention though.

Oh definitely - he seems to be an extrovert. But if he likes the attention, he's going to have to get used to the negative side that comes with it too.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1318 on: March 28, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Oh definitely - he seems to be an extrovert. But if he likes the attention, he's going to have to get used to the negative side that comes with it too.

I don't think it's the press that will simmer him down but a series of losses. Not that I am saying he should see some but that, it will eventually happen. It takes a while to get used to the tour and a lot can happen in between. And it also takes a while to become a really good and consistent player. He'll know about that in time. Rome wasn't built in a day after all.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1319 on: March 28, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Those sunglasses don't help. My initial impression whenever I see someone wearing those in sport is, 'wow, what a cock.' Tomic has a similar pair that he wore when he was younger.

Personally don't mind him, just think he's over-rated after the Paris fiasco. His race ranking of #69 is probably far closer to where he really stands in the tennis world. Needs to cool his temper though, it's embarrassing when he loses his sh*t over tiny little things. As someone else (I think it may have been Neil Harman or David Law) phrased it - he's like McEnroe without the charm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 688 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »