Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 ... 747 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 171672 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1650 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47 PM »

Really enjoyed that match (although nervewracking for me!) Very pleased that Ferru's into another Master's final. Smile He started so nervously, serving really poorly and making countless UEs. But just like with the Melzer match, it seems that when he goes down 2 breaks he relaxes and starts to play better. Haas played wonderful tennis in the first set but just couldn't sustain it - his serve broke down, which combined with Ferrer's improved returning wasn't a winning formula. But still a great tournament for Haas - hope he can keep playing this sort of tennis and make a push towards the top 10 again.

Always find when you get a top player with a single-handed backhand against another top player with a double-hander, the two hands will win almost every time. (Sampras-Agassi excepted.) No matter how flash the single hander (Gasquet, Haas), it will usually break down under pressure. A single-hander is good for shotmaking but, for sheer consistency, you need two hands.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1651 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49 PM »

Let's hope that's the case tonight.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1652 on: March 29, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Let's hope that's the case tonight.

It will be. Gasquet battles hard for about six games against Andy then, when things start to drift, he loses heart and starts thinking about going clubbing.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1653 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53 PM »

It will be. Gasquet battles hard for about six games against Andy then, when things start to drift, he loses heart and starts thinking about going clubbing.
Or about Charlie....  Whistle  Sorry - that's mean...
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1654 on: March 29, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Charlie who? is he gay.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1655 on: March 29, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Charlie who? is he gay.
Aye - a bit like you...  Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1656 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56 PM »

I am too invested in Andy so everywhere I look I see no one but Andy. He's my absolute favourite.

I enjoy all others with the exception of only a few but I don't have any particular favourite. I am a one man woman. And I shall always be.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1657 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Aye - a bit like you...  Very Happy
You swore...
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1658 on: March 29, 2013, 10:57 PM »

That was funny. When the drug test showed up traces of coke, Agassi advised Reeechard to claim a girl coke-user had kissed him in a nightclub. Unbelievably, the testers believed him.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1659 on: March 29, 2013, 10:57 PM »

Always find when you get a top player with a single-handed backhand against another top player with a double-hander, the two hands will win almost every time. (Sampras-Agassi excepted.) No matter how flash the single hander (Gasquet, Haas), it will usually break down under pressure. A single-hander is good for shotmaking but, for sheer consistency, you need two hands.

That's an interesting point. Rafa relentlessly targets Federer's backhand for this reason and always gets errors off it. The shotmaking power of the single handers is great to watch though - I love Gasquet and Wawrinka's backhands in particular.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1660 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58 PM »

That was funny. When the drug test showed up traces of coke, Agassi advised Reeechard to claim a girl coke-user had kissed him in a nightclub. Unbelievably, the testers believed him.
Test couldn't have been that convincing then, surely?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1661 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00 PM »

That's an interesting point. Rafa relentlessly targets Federer's backhand for this reason and always gets errors off it. The shotmaking power of the single handers is great to watch though - I love Gasquet and Wawrinka's backhands in particular.

Yes, Fed-Rafa is the ultimate example. The single-hander WILL break down under pressure. It's not built to be robust.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1662 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00 PM »

I am too invested in Andy so everywhere I look I see no one but Andy. He's my absolute favourite.

I enjoy all others with the exception of only a few but I don't have any particular favourite. I am a one man woman. And I shall always be.
I'm the same. Apart from the woman bit. I think.

I like Tsonga, Nishikori and Dimitrov among others, but if them winning was of detriment to Andy's progress I'd rather them lose. It's nice to see them do well but I can't say I'm that bothered when they lose.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1663 on: March 29, 2013, 11:01 PM »

I didn't know the advice came from Agassi.    At the time I thought only a Frenchman would think of that.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1664 on: March 29, 2013, 11:01 PM »

Test couldn't have been that convincing then, surely?

Well, Agassi himself got caught out when he was doing crystal meth, but managed to claim his assistant ('Spike'!) had slipped some into his drink. They're obviously gullible, these testers.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 ... 747 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »