Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 ... 707 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 154893 times)
caroline
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2085 on: April 21, 2013, 04:03 PM »

This is a very good result for Andy as well as Nadal's confidence will take a shot come RG and Wimbledon. Nadal has won many, many times and it's about time these two - Andy and Nole come forward and take what's theirs now.
Great minds think alike EJ I feel like that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2086 on: April 21, 2013, 04:06 PM »

If Djokovic wins the French and Cincy this year, he'll have won all Grand Slams, all Masters 1000's and the WTF. No one has done this before.

Does this have a name like 'career grand slam' ?

That's amazing. He's most likely to do it at one point in his career. Both very doable for him.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2087 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12 PM »

At the moment I cannot see the advantage for Andy who seems far from a clay court title. Nole  already won against Nadal on clay last year, so was already a serious contender then. Today he took the last but one step. And you are all right when saying that Nadal has gathered enough titles and there is no need to feel sorry for him. My only concern is that we will not have a Nole Andy era but more a Nole era which is practically something we have experienced since the AO 2011 with few exceptions from the rule.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2088 on: April 21, 2013, 04:14 PM »

Nole was sensational in the first set.
Scarily so.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2089 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Andy has taken a giant step in 2011 as well when he closed it in on both Nadal and Nole on clay. I am not reading too much into Andy's loss to Wawrinka this week. We may be well surprised in the end.

Nole won't be able to dominate Andy. He doesn't have the same belief system he uses against Nadal. In other words, he's vulnerable when it comes to Andy. I am fairly sure Andy will take over things at some point. I am not too worried about Nole's confidence right now.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2090 on: April 21, 2013, 04:20 PM »

At the moment I cannot see the advantage for Andy who seems far from a clay court title. Nole  already won against Nadal on clay last year, so was already a serious contender then. Today he took the last but one step. And you are all right when saying that Nadal has gathered enough titles and there is no need to feel sorry for him. My only concern is that we will not have a Nole Andy era but more a Nole era which is practically something we have experienced since the AO 2011 with few exceptions from the rule.

There's no immediate advantage for Andy (in fact, today's Nole victory has put him further ahead of Andy in the rankings), but I guess if Novak were to beat Rafa at RG, then we could see a low-in-confidence Rafa going into Wimbledon which would be a good thing for Andy. A long way to go though - I still think Rafa will win RG.

I don't think it'll just be a Nole era though - he'll be challenged by Rafa on the clay, and by Andy and Federer on the hard courts/grass. I don't see that changing at the moment.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2091 on: April 21, 2013, 04:23 PM »

At the moment I cannot see the advantage for Andy who seems far from a clay court title. Nole  already won against Nadal on clay last year, so was already a serious contender then. Today he took the last but one step. And you are all right when saying that Nadal has gathered enough titles and there is no need to feel sorry for him. My only concern is that we will not have a Nole Andy era but more a Nole era which is practically something we have experienced since the AO 2011 with few exceptions from the rule.

Did you know - Nole had no grass title until he won Wimbledon in 2011 and off Nadal? Anything is possible these days, my dear. Smile Andy can win RG without winning or making a final on clay.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2092 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28 PM »

There's no immediate advantage for Andy (in fact, today's Nole victory has put him further ahead of Andy in the rankings), but I guess if Novak were to beat Rafa at RG, then we could see a low-in-confidence Rafa going into Wimbledon which would be a good thing for Andy. A long way to go though - I still think Rafa will win RG.

I don't think it'll just be a Nole era though - he'll be challenged by Rafa on the clay, and by Andy and Federer on the hard courts/grass. I don't see that changing at the moment.

I don't see Nadal and Federer threatening Nole on any surface all that much from this point on. Nadal is not going to rule clay forever for one. Federer has one too many enemies to even make that far to reach Nole. Nadal too is fairly vulnerable in early rounds.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2093 on: April 21, 2013, 04:35 PM »

I don't see Nadal and Federer threatening Nole on any surface all that much from this point on. Nadal is not going to rule clay forever for one. Federer has one too many enemies to even make that far to reach Nole. Nadal too is fairly vulnerable in early rounds.

I think it's too soon to count Federer out  - last year he beat Novak in Cincinatti and Wimbledon, and pushed him all the way in the WTF final too. He's made a poor start by his usual standards to this season, but I expect him to raise his level in the grass and hardcourt seasons. He's definitely a better player on grass than Novak is.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2094 on: April 21, 2013, 04:35 PM »

Djokovic is an animal.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2095 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40 PM »

That really sounds encouraging when you see Andy advancing on clay. I share all our hopes . And I agree with the point that Nadal's shattered dominance on this surface is a message to all the other players, incl. Andy. With respect to Nole not having won any title on grass before Wimbledon: good to know, yet there are so few opportunities to win won whereas with clay and hc it is a different thing.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2096 on: April 21, 2013, 04:45 PM »

I think it's too soon to count Federer out  - last year he beat Novak in Cincinatti and Wimbledon, and pushed him all the way in the WTF final too. He's made a poor start by his usual standards to this season, but I expect him to raise his level in the grass and hardcourt seasons. He's definitely a better player on grass than Novak is.

It's not going to repeat each year and that's my thinking. He's losing confidence each time he gets beaten and others are gaining on that. He'll sneak in only if others are tired and injured or mentally compromised like Andy at last year's Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2097 on: April 21, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Did you know - Nole had no grass title until he won Wimbledon in 2011 and off Nadal? Anything is possible these days, my dear. Smile Andy can win RG without winning or making a final on clay.

To be fair, there aren't that many grass-court titles available. Tim Henman never won one, but few would deny he was one of the top two or three on grass of his generation.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2098 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48 PM »

That really sounds encouraging when you see Andy advancing on clay. I share all our hopes . And I agree with the point that Nadal's shattered dominance on this surface is a message to all the other players, incl. Andy. With respect to Nole not having won any title on grass before Wimbledon: good to know, yet there are so few opportunities to win won whereas with clay and hc it is a different thing.

Point is, Nole is far more vulnerable on grass than on hard or clay. Both Tsonga and Berdych are perfectly capable of taking out Nole on top of Andy and Federer. Nadal will test him too, so it's not as given to him and that's counting the small amount of tournaments on grass.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2099 on: April 21, 2013, 04:50 PM »

But do you see the irony of it? There are plenty tournaments on clay and Andy has yet to win one; whereas there are only a few grass tournaments and yet, Nole has Wimbledon under his belt. So it very well be that Nole is slightly better on grass than Andy is on clay. I doubt it somehow though even with the irony.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 ... 707 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »