Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 ... 690 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 143984 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2430 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Probably not, but surely there must come a point when even he realises he's putting too much strain on his body by playing so many tournaments?

Maybe just making the most of it while he can? He's reached another final, won another € 39,000 this week to add to the $1,257,410 he's won already this year. He doesn't seem bothered about climbing the rankings..
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2431 on: May 05, 2013, 07:41 PM »

Maybe just making the most of it while he can? He's reached another final, won another € 39,000 this week to add to the $1,257,410 he's won already this year. He doesn't seem bothered about climbing the rankings..
Yup - why give it up, when you can take a chance of winning.  Just go about your business and see what happens.  He's such a terrier. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2432 on: May 05, 2013, 07:42 PM »

I like Ferrer though and would like to see him continue for quite a while yet and playing good tennis as well.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2433 on: May 05, 2013, 07:46 PM »

I'd say it's a combination of the two. Stan was amazing in the first set, hitting winners at will, which is a style Ferrer always struggles against. The second set was closer, but Stan was dominant on his own serve and always looked the more likely winner of the two. Ferrer didn't play terribly but wasn't at his best either - many more unforced errors than you'd usually expect from him.

I always see Ferrer as the overall consistent better player. Their H2H speaks volume. Stan has definitely gathered a lot of confidence by pushing Nole and Federer this year and finally, that straight set win over Andy in MC has given him extra boost in confidence which was already roaring. All over top players I might as well add so he's on a bit of a run here and Ferrer is your another top player, but I know Stan. He's eventually going to run out of it. He's a very good player but lacks the consistency of the top players including Ferrer.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean May 05, 2013, 08:31 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2434 on: May 05, 2013, 09:03 PM »

I always see Ferrer as the overall consistent better player. Their H2H speaks volume. Stan has definitely gathered a lot of confidence by pushing Nole and Federer this year and finally, that straight set win over Andy in MC has given him extra boost in confidence which was already roaring. All over top players I might as well add so he's on a bit of a run here and Ferrer is your another top player, but I know Stan. He's eventually going to run out of it. He's a very good player but lacks the consistency of the top players including Ferrer.

Yeah I agree - consistency has always been Stan's problem. He tends to play one great match in a tournament but then can't maintain the level. Or one great set in a match - like his last defeat to Federer. But perhaps it's something that can be improved over time, especially with his increased confidence these days.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2435 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35 PM »

I would have liked to have seen the David/Stan match but too busy.

Stanley is quite something right now. Great to see him play so well (except against Andy Frown)
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2436 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52 PM »

I would have liked to have seen the David/Stan match but too busy.

Stanley is quite something right now. Great to see him play so well (except against Andy Frown)

I would really like to see him spank Federer before Fed retires
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2437 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57 PM »

I would really like to see him spank Federer before Fed retires
Olympic final????
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2438 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Olympic final????

Think he was talking bout Stan not Andy Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2439 on: May 05, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Think he was talking bout Stan not Andy Smile
Phew!  Very Happy
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2440 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Stan is the more talented player. Vulture is a pusher.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2441 on: May 05, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Ferrer knows his place in the Tennis rankings, and that is below fellow country man Rafael Nadal. It's quite funny how even with Nadal having 7 months off, vulture took ages to get to world number 4. Now his game style is being exposed. All players have to do is tire him out and then it's an easy win.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2442 on: May 05, 2013, 11:31 PM »

Stan is the more talented player. Vulture is a pusher.

Well, if it's any consolation, Andy was more the pusher against Ferrer in Miami final than Ferrer was. So it goes both ways.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2443 on: May 06, 2013, 04:11 PM »

I missed the Wawrinka/Ferrer match yesterday due to bloody Sky listing the match as being shown at 5.30pm, when it clearly wasn't. Fortunately I recorded the repeat in the early hours and watched it this morning.

Stan's clearly playing some very confident tennis at the moment, and good on him. I still think Andy's loss to him was largely down to Andy just having one of those days when nothing works, but you also can't argue that Stan has been putting some good matches together lately. He hasn't won all of them (the AO against Djokovic) but still. I'm pleased for him that he is showing that Switzerland has more than one player who knows how to strike a ball.

I think it was hard to judge the match yesterday. Stan was playing well, very well, but was Ferrer actually poor, or was it just that Stan was awesome? I don't know. Either way, I do think Ferrer is looking fatigued. To my mind he hasn't been right since Indian Wells, or even since meeting Djokovic at the AO. In that one he barely moved all match.

I do think Ferrer is going to have to rethink his schedule before long. It's all very well playing a lot to keep your ranking up, but surely there comes a time when the body says enough is enough. Ferrer, for me, is the original duracell bunny, but even he has limits. He must have. I still think the bursts of tetchiness he has had lately have been down to being tired as much as anything.

I think if Ferrer wants to go deep in the majors and Masters from this point onwards, he needs to start being sensible about when he plays.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2444 on: May 06, 2013, 05:02 PM »

Hope Dimitrov goes through today. Would be great to watch him against Nole. Nole finds him dangerous on this surface as he thinks it's made for attacking players so let's see.

A bit of a tough opener for Federer against Stepanek. His only two wins over Federer on clay. Having said that, Federer has the last win on clay.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 ... 690 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »