Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 ... 706 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 154732 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2625 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27 PM »

Was it ****.

Enough of this tanking shite please. Can the top players not lose a match and people just accept it?

Agree MH, there's too much bad blood about a top player losing in R2 of a Masters. It happens almost every tournament (with the Top 10 in general, not only the Top4-5) and you can't win everything or playing for a profession would be pointless.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2626 on: May 07, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Amazing win for Grigor! Very well deserved. Smile
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2627 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Was it ****.

Enough of this tanking shite please. Can the top players not lose a match and people just accept it?

I agree with you about the top players losing sometimes - I wish people on here would be as forgiving whence ray does it. I did watch it though and felt that although Djokovic fought all the way up to that final service game, I don't think he tried in that game. I can only say what I think I saw. Well done to Dimitrov - he deserved to win. He could easily have crumbled in the first set tie break, and after losing the second set. He didn't.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2628 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32 PM »

I agree with you about the top players losing sometimes - I wish people on here would be as forgiving whence ray does it. I did watch it though and felt that although Djokovic fought all the way up to that final service game, I don't think he tried in that game. I can only say what I think I saw. Well done to Dimitrov - he deserved to win. He could easily have crumbled in the first set tie break, and after losing the second set. He didn't.

You didn't say that in your previous comment. Very unclear indeed.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2629 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Was it ****.

No
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2630 on: May 07, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Djokovic did an interview yesterday where he stated that the top 4 have an edge over the rest of the players due to mental toughness, wow talk about comments coming back to bite you in the arse.

So what's going on then? Top 4 now seem to be tested harder and harder in every tourny these days, are they losing ambition? or is everybody else just catching up? are they losing the fear factor?

Novak is becoming very Murrayesque with these early round losses #intrigued
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2631 on: May 07, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Well it was not a tank but at times Djokovic certainly did look uninterested, however I think there's a difference between looking uninterested and tanking. Many a time the top 4 have won without looking particularly interested.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2632 on: May 07, 2013, 11:00 PM »

I am fairly sure of a tank job here and I don't care who thinks what. Nole had been making excuses of a possible loss already before the match, when he talked about how the court is playing a bit faster which could make Dimitrov a potential dangerous opponent and blah blah blah. Right Nole. The difference between his tank job and Andy's is that, Andy can't even be arsed to make it look like a real match, whereas Nole's doesn't mind entertaining the crowd a bit by making it 'competitive'. And Nole is known for tanking in the past so nothing new there. He doesn't need Madrid.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2633 on: May 07, 2013, 11:01 PM »

Fabulous, fabulous win for Dimitrov, richly deserved. He fought with Djokovic all the way, toughed out the cramp and then grabbed the third set by the man bits and didn't let go. Good on him.

I don't think Djokovic tanked in the end. He was nervous and edgy all match to be honest. I just think he'd given all he had today and just got beaten by an inspired (and talented) youngster.

The only thing I am disappointed with is Petch moaning about the crowd in the end. They got behind Dimitrov in a big way, so what? I didn't think they were unduly unfair or disrespectful to Novak, they just liked what they saw from Dimitrov. Some pundits need to realise that liking Djokovic (or Federer and Nadal for that matter) isn't compulsory, that it is acceptable to admire a good (and gutsy) performance from someone else. It's funny how Petch didn't complain when Andy was booed and jeered at the O2 last year. That atmosphere, apparently, was 'electric'. Yes, right. That crowd tonight were a damned sight better than that lot.

It's all very well saying how sporting Djokovic is, using that to suggest the crowd were unfair, but if Petch would like to open his eyes he might find a bunch of times when Djokovic has been less than sporting, like persistently playing possum. Also like calling a medical time out on his opponent's serve, just as the opponent is waiting to come out and serve for his first major win. Then there is all that ridiculous shirt ripping nonsense, oh, and today's little performance in the first set of 'I know damned well Dimitrov's shot was in then, but I'll smile nicely at the umpire and question it anyway, just to slow down the kid'. Sure, he conceded a point at one stage, credit to him for that too, but let's not kid ourselves he's perfect, he isn't.

Well done Grigor!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2634 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09 PM »

And there are many good and solid losses by the top players this year already; for example, Nadal's loss to Zeba, Federer's loss to Berdcyh, Benneteau etc. Andy's loss to Del Potro, Nole's loss to Del Potro etc. This isn't one of them. I mean yes, Dimitrov is pretty and all but he's not beating Nole in his first match in Madrid. Nole doesn't go out this early unless he's got an idea in his head like last year's Paris. And this loss to Dimitrov doesn't hurt him at all.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2635 on: May 07, 2013, 11:10 PM »

And there are many good and solid losses by the top players this year already; for example, Nadal's loss to Zeba, Federer's loss to Berdcyh, Benneteau etc. Andy's loss to Del Potro, Nole's loss to Del Potro etc. This isn't one of them. I mean yes, Dimitrov is pretty and all but he's not beating Nole in his first match in Madrid. Nole doesn't go out this early unless he's got an idea in his head like last year's Paris. And this loss to Dimitrov doesn't hurt him at all.
bull****.

Djokovic is not as unbeatable as you paint him out to be. Remember Indian Wells? Dimitrov was beating him there too until he got tight. Only difference was today was that his resolve was stronger.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2636 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14 PM »

bull****.

Djokovic is not as unbeatable as you paint him out to be. Remember Indian Wells? Dimitrov was beating him there too until he got tight. Only difference was today was that his resolve was stronger.

Don't care what you think, really. Dimitrov can have this illusion; he ain't beating Nole in RG even if he is on his last breath; that is, if they meet. 

Nole is beatable but only by a handful of good players and Dimitrov ain't one of them.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2637 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00 AM »

I don't think Dimitrov is physically ready to take a top player out of a major yet, but if he keeps developing at this rate he could trouble in a year or two. Either way I don't think him and Novak are going to be best mates any time soon.

Djokovic isn't unbeatable. What Djokovic is is confident, usually. Today he just wasn't, not really, not at any point. I think he knew what Dimitrov has the ability to do, he nearly did it in Indian Wells, but he got tight. Today Dimitrov got over the demons. He might have had help from Djokovic's ankle, but I don't think it was a big factor.

I don't think Dimitrov will assume that because he won today he is ready to conquer the world, but I do think he deserves a lot of respect for a fine win.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2638 on: May 08, 2013, 12:33 AM »

Djokovic lost???  shocking

I've just found this out.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2639 on: May 08, 2013, 06:43 AM »

Ahem.....seem to remember picked Dimitrov in that challenge thingy Whistle which now seems to have vanished....
All the top players are vulnerable in the early rounds and apparently Nole hasn't practised for 12 days?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 ... 706 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »