Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 ... 747 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 172077 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3060 on: May 11, 2013, 08:24 PM »

I was quite shocked by the fact Berdych is two years older than Murray, turned Pro 3 years earlier, and yet has only got 8 titles, only one of which is a Masters 1000.

There has been a lot of talk over the years about Murray's mental strength, he is a giant by comparison to Berdych.  I think Murray has got his measure on anything other than clay now. 

Watching that match, once he gave the break back he crumpled. Hope Wawrinka can pull it off tomorrow, but doubt it. Don't think he is a real threat except on clay.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3061 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31 PM »

But Wawrinka IS the better player on clay than Berdych. He leads on clay vs Berdych and with the win today, it's 3-0 Wawrinka, so it's not actually a bad loss for Berdych. He was supposed to lose this one.

Berdych does have 1 title on clay but than again Wawrinka has 3 titles on clay and he's won 4 titles altogether, so you can see clay is his main strength.

So it's safe to assume Stan is better than Berdy and Berdy is better than Andy on clay.

And of course, that leaves Stan marginally better than Andy on clay. He leads Andy there 3-0 as well. These are all expected results given their strength on that surface. Andy is of course better than these two on other surfaces, so he trumps them overall.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3062 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35 PM »

Exactly Masaka , as I said he is not the same pedigree as Andy, they have been saying for ever Berdych is going to win big  confused
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3063 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Delighted for Stan. No less than he deserves.

Up to 6th in the Race rankings now!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3064 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53 PM »

When you look at his H2H's they make grim reading

Djokovic 13:1, Federer 11:6, Nadal 13:3, Ferrer  6:3

Murray is

Djokovic 11:7, Federer 9:11, Nadal 13:5, Ferrer 5:7

Which given Murray's real problem with clay, makes Murray's stats even more impressive. It would be interesting to know his match ups with clay removed.

It's almost as though Berdych thinks he is better than he is. I can't see him getting a GS, particularly with the young pretenders coming through.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3065 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59 PM »

To be fair to him, he's probably the best of the rest, just behind Del Potro. If the door ever opens in a Slam, and all of the top 4 get knocked out before the final, he would definitely have a shot. Possible, not probable.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3066 on: May 11, 2013, 09:02 PM »

To be fair to him, he's probably the best of the rest, just behind Del Potro. If the door ever opens in a Slam, and all of the top 4 get knocked out before the final, he would definitely have a shot. Possible, not probable.

Same with Wawwy I would say. Him, Nishi, Raonic, Cilic and even Seppi are the ones outside the Top 10 I see getting a shot at a big tournament (not necessarily a Slam) when the Top 4 are in a slump. On their respective favourite surfaces may I add.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3067 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05 PM »

You are undoubtedly right. I just don't like him. I haven't forgiven him for that stunt he pulled with the cap at the US Open. He just comes over as very arrogant to me, without that much to be arrogant about. I would rather Tsonga got one than him.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3068 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18 PM »

You are undoubtedly right. I just don't like him. I haven't forgiven him for that stunt he pulled with the cap at the US Open. He just comes over as very arrogant to me, without that much to be arrogant about. I would rather Tsonga got one than him.
100% agreed.  One of the reasons I like Andy so much is his natural humility.  Arrogant twits like Berdych, Federer, Serena etc etc are so tiresome & boring.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3069 on: May 11, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Over the moon for Stan. I didn't see all of it, but watching him win was brilliant. Who's a lovely boy then!

Chuffed Berdych didn't get to the final again. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. Personally I think he'll win a slam when hell freezes over, or when Djokovic, Andy, Federer and Nadal have all gone. Can't see it happening before.

Now come on Stan, just one more big effort, just for me. I do think Stan has a chance in Madrid. It is the one clay tourney where Nadal is fractionally more vulnerable. It might be a small chance, but I do think it's there. I'd love Stan to win.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3070 on: May 11, 2013, 09:28 PM »

Delighted for Stan. No less than he deserves.

Up to 6th in the Race rankings now!

That's incredible and richly deserved. I like Stan. It's time he had his moment out of Federer's shadow.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3071 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Dont forget he'll not only be playing Rafa tommorow, but that bully boy crowd. There are easier tasks!!

Love the way top half were always playing till 1-2 am in morning while Rafa was tucked up in bed with a cup of cocoa.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3072 on: May 11, 2013, 09:39 PM »

Bet queens and Wimbledon won't be giving Andy the same advantages. 
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3073 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Rachie and Tessie Abousltley right, no night matches for Raffa, and no way will Andy be getting any favratisim in his own country !!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3074 on: May 11, 2013, 11:04 PM »

I fully expect Murray to get Rafa and Federer in his sections if Rafa is still #5 by Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 ... 747 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »