Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 690 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 143528 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3870 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00 PM »

GAEL MONFILS TO SKIP WIMBLEDON

After defeating Czech qualifier Jan Hernych 6-2, 6-3, [in Halle] Monfils said he withdrew his request for a Wimbledon wild card because he had to deal with a personal problem that could not be delayed. He didn't elaborate.

Monfils, who has never passed the third round at Wimbledon, said it was a pity he would have to miss it for the second straight year and fourth time in six years, especially because he felt he was beginning to play better on grass.

[About today's match] "I was happy, I was having fun," Monfils said. "Grass is not natural for me, but I am getting better. I have to focus on not falling, not injuring myself. I cannot take off as fast as I want to and I have problems braking. But I was comfortable today, I was leading all the time.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/9375318/gael-monfils-wins-halle-says-skip-wimbledon

That's a shame. Hope it's nothing 'too' serious Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3871 on: June 12, 2013, 10:19 PM »

So do I Hazel.  But whatever it is, at least he seems to be enjoying himself in Halle.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3872 on: June 12, 2013, 11:53 PM »

Not liking this Monfils' tweet. Whatever is going on, hope he finds resolution soon. He is such a talent, and Andy is obviously a fan of his.

Gael Monfils ‏@Gael_Monfils  1h 
Life is a b****,and death is her sister...

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3873 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05 AM »

Not liking this Monfils' tweet. Whatever is going on, hope he finds resolution soon. He is such a talent, and Andy is obviously a fan of his.

Gael Monfils ‏@Gael_Monfils  1h 
Life is a b****,and death is her sister...

He tweeted earlier...

Gael Monfils @Gael_Monfils 36m
Parfois pour avoir un arc en ciel, il faut avoir des gouttes de pluie...

*The English translation is: Sometimes for a rainbow, you need raindrops...*

It has a very sombre, dark feeling and perhaps meaning to it. Maybe one of his parents have died?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3874 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09 AM »

He tweeted earlier...

It has a very sombre, dark feeling and perhaps meaning to it. Maybe one of his parents have died?

Hope not, they were both looking well at the FO the other week
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3875 on: June 13, 2013, 02:14 AM »

He tweeted earlier...

That particular tweet doesn't make much sense if it's a death, although his later one would suggest that.

Monfils was reportedly doing his usual clown act on court yesterday, and said afterwards "I was happy, I was having fun", so it sounds like he got the news after the match - yet it would appear that the French Tennis Federation tweeted the news of his withdrawal from Wimbledon earlier in the day.  All very strange, although perhaps by playing he was able to put whatever it is at the back of his mind for a while - and, believe it or not, that isn't impossible even after the death of somebody close to you once the initial shock has passed, although it'll catch up with you quickly enough once there's nothing to distract you.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3876 on: June 13, 2013, 09:27 AM »

It does sound like there has been a death in Monfil's family or something.

I agree that even with news like that, assuming that's what it is, you can put it to the back of your mind for a while, if you have to, even a shock like that can take a time to sink in. The difficult part is when it does sink in, that's very tough.

Whatever the problem is I wish Gael all the best.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3877 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15 PM »

At least 8 sets in a single day for Tsonga. That amount can cause some problems.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3878 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Monfils did a bit much at RG going beyond the boundaries. That's when I had a feeling that something would have to go because of this. And then I find out he's out of Wimbledon. He's not a very strategic player. I've seen him taking a series of bad decisions in the past.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3879 on: June 14, 2013, 06:44 AM »

Did Tsonga or Mahut give up on the doubles at Queens.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3880 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26 AM »

Did Tsonga or Mahut give up on the doubles at Queens.

Tsonga pulled out.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3881 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22 AM »

Thanks.  I thought he would.  It was all too much for him, poor lad.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3882 on: June 14, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Looks like Federer double bageled Zverev in Halle this morning.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3883 on: June 14, 2013, 01:27 PM »

Am watching the Cilic v Berdych match while eating my lunch.  It is very slow and boring. They seem to be tiptoeing around each other.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #3884 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Cilic took the 1st set 7-6. Will this go to distance? Smells like it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 690 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »