Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players  (Read 107674 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5415 on: September 29, 2013, 01:32 PM »

Berdych yet to win a title this year still
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5416 on: September 29, 2013, 02:36 PM »

Berdych yet to win a title this year still

It doesn't look likely he will now if he keeps to his schedule. He'd be able to get a wildcard into Stockholm/Kremlin Cup/Vienna if he wanted to though - decent chance of picking up a title at one of those tournaments.

It's surprising that Berdych only has 8 titles despite being a stable top 10 player now. Raonic already has 5 and he's 6 years younger.

Feel really sorry for Benneteau, losing yet another final to fall to 0-9. Frown Last year he beat Ferrer, this year Wawrinka, but he just can't close the deal in the final. Especially gutting for him that he had a match point in this one too... If I were him, I'd enter as many weak field 250s as possible to try and win a title.

Great win for Sousa though - the first Portuguese player in tennis history to win an ATP singles title.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5417 on: September 29, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing a video replay of Sousa's match. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5418 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51 PM »

Raonic played a surprisingly aggressive match against Berdy. Berdy almost snatched the 1st set when he fought back from being down 40-0 and brought a break point.. but Milos held his nerve throughout the tiebreak. Milos breezed through the 2nd set to win 7-6 6-3.

Was really impressed with his movement, shot selection and aggressiveness at net. There were many rallies, and Milos won most of them. Robbie Koenig was running out of superlatives for him.

He made Tomas look small on the court, and I always think he's huge!

Who knew??  shocking
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5419 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39 PM »

To be honest, I find too many long rallies boring.  It just seems like baseline-bashing to me.  I much prefer it when players come up to the net more and keep the points shorter.  It makes the matches more exciting to watch as well.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5420 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50 AM »

A mixture is best surely. That Isner v Mahut match at Wimbledon must be the most boring in history.
My favourite matches are when a serve and volleyer  plays a baseliner.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5421 on: September 30, 2013, 07:51 AM »

To be honest, I find too many long rallies boring.  It just seems like baseline-bashing to me.  I much prefer it when players come up to the net more and keep the points shorter.  It makes the matches more exciting to watch as well.

Andy is involved in a lot of long rallies you know.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5422 on: September 30, 2013, 07:54 AM »

Was thinking that Prod...Wink In fact I like them, up to a point of course, a bit like tennis chess.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5423 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01 AM »

Depends who they're against I reckon.  Although I like Andy and Novak, not really a fan of most of their matches as there is too many long rallies between the two where neither is going for the winner, but instead trying to force the error from the opponent. I know neither is at fault for this, it is simply due to the two having very similar styles and therefore defence vs defence on today's slow homogenised courts can be a bit painful to watch.

However, they do have some great meetings on faster court more often than not. Shanghai Final last year was one of the best Masters Finals of 2012, and their Olympics meeting was also great, as was their WTF meeting.

I prefer long rallies between players with two contrasts of styles. For example Murray vs Janowicz, as Janowicz is going for the winners  and Andy is defending like a beast and trying to create that opening for himself to win the point, intense stuff.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5424 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32 AM »

Have been thinking it has been  shame there's not been so many meetings of the 'big 4' this year. Muray has played Fed once and djokovic twice, Nadal and Djokovoc have played most - 4 times and Nadal Fed three times.  So far no djokovic Federer - hope they are in same group at WTF.  And no murray nadal for 2 years!!!!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5425 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38 AM »

I am sure the ATP fixes draws to make as many Fedal meetings happen as possible.

Pretty funny to see Nadal beat Fed in them all, especially at Cincy, where every one says the court does not suit Nadal but suits Fed a lot.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5426 on: September 30, 2013, 03:47 PM »

I am sure the ATP fixes draws to make as many Fedal meetings happen as possible.

Pretty funny to see Nadal beat Fed in them all, especially at Cincy, where every one says the court does not suit Nadal but suits Fed a lot.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they meet at the WTF. Federer's never lost to Rafa indoors, and served up a bagel set on him in their last indoor meeting (WTF 2011).

I hope there's not going to be yet another Fedal QF in Shanghai though. I'd prefer to see a Federer/Djokovic QF - always enjoy that matchup.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5427 on: September 30, 2013, 04:31 PM »

I admit being prejudiced. For me, the Berdych-Raonic match was mostly boring. It was not decided in three TB as I assumed beforehand, only one TB with a first aggressive return that sealed the deal in it. Besides, I did not see too many rallies. Wasn't it 18 aces for Raonic, not to mention the many service winners. If I remember correctly, he served three of them in a row to fend off BP. All in all, I wouldn't call Berdych small in comparison. In the end it came down to few points. But I turned away from this one-dimensional play to the other final, which was much more entertaining and fully deserved the name tennis match although both players are far away from top rankings.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5428 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07 AM »

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5429 on: October 01, 2013, 06:44 PM »

David Nalbandian has announced his retirement. His shoulder injury isn't responding well to treatment so he's decided to stop playing.

I'm sorry to hear this even if it's not a surprise. At his peak he was brilliant to watch, capable of beating anyone in the world - so much talent. It's a real shame that he never got to be on a Davis Cup winning team for Argentina, he wanted that so much.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »