Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 [473] 474 475 476 ... 691 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 146534 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7080 on: January 29, 2014, 11:36 PM »

No probs. You're right. If I remember correctly he had to play a couple of ties to qualify for the Olympics in 2012 (just as well he did Smile ) but before that it had been a couple of years.
So did the mighty Fed, who had actually fallen foul of the Swiss tennis authorities because of his persistent failure to play in the DC over the previous three years. lol 
IP Logged
meglisse

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7081 on: January 30, 2014, 12:57 AM »

I wonder if Djokovic is making more than one point? He is angry about Troicki's ban and he received a lot of criticism himself when he didn't play the doublles as well as 2 x singles in the last round. Wasn't that doubles the match that lost them the final against The Czech Republic???
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7082 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22 AM »

Andy has played DC within the last two years. Last year after the USO, just prior to the surgery.

As for Djokovic, I smell a hissy fit over Troicki. If he's tired, fine, but isn't it funny that he doesn't complain about being tired any other time? Personally I think Novak's knickers are still in a knot. Good, he's funny when he gets annoyed about something.

Federer's so obvious you just have to laugh.

I disagree about the "hissy fit" comment; Djoko's been a DC stalwart for years, winning the title in 2010, going to the finals again last year. In fact last year he won more DC matches than any other player on tour even though they didn't win the final. To look for underhanded reasons he has decided not to play seems unfair in his case. Maybe he's being realistic though: Troicki is banned, Tipsarevic is injured, Zimonjic is ageing (he's 37), so is Nole supposed to carry the whole team? They have a couple others but the team is really depleted at the moment. It's not that much different that the GB team, arguably. Serbs, Brits don't have the depth of the Spanish or French. I think you need at least 2 healthy and strong players and/or 1 with a strong doubles team to have a shot at the title. Hence, the Swiss have a shot this year I guess.

As for Djokovic not playing the doubles match in last year's final, that was the decision by his coach because they needed him to win both singles matches and because Zim and Bog had been successful in doubles throughout the year, so why change it if it aint broke? But Djoko was also held by the ITF guys for 4-5 hours the day of the doubles match.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7083 on: January 30, 2014, 06:41 AM »

Hasn't Nole been skiing pretty much all his life though?I mean,not to discount the risks involved,but I'd think he'd be very,very aware of what's safe for him to do and what's not.

I believe Nole's parents owned a ski lodge, so Nole has indeed been skiing all his life. One of the reasons why he's sooooooooooooo flexible?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7084 on: January 30, 2014, 12:08 PM »

DC should be scrapped it's a terrible tournament and doesn't fit in with the rest of tennis. Either that or just make it every 4 years or something.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7085 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12 PM »

DC should be scrapped it's a terrible tournament and doesn't fit in with the rest of tennis. Either that or just make it every 4 years or something.

Its the fifth most important tennis tournament in the history of the sport. It shouldn't be scrapped and its hardly terrible.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7086 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28 PM »

Its the fifth most important tennis tournament in the history of the sport. It shouldn't be scrapped and its hardly terrible.
The DC isn't 'terrible' but is a complete waste of top players' energy in a season which already has a packed schedule of tournaments, something which wasn't the case when it was first initiated in 1899 and remained so for several decades afterwards.  I'd like to see it being played only by lower-ranked players, possibly those outside the top 30, to give them more motivation and boost their confidence, and by so doing improve their chances of success in other tournaments.  The top guys could then be left to focus solely on their careers without feeling any pressure on them to participate in DC ties.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7087 on: January 30, 2014, 05:46 PM »

^ That's a pretty good idea, Aileen.  Agree with all you said, there. highfive
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7088 on: January 31, 2014, 01:31 PM »

Davis Cup
Canada v Japan at 1 -1, Canada without Raonic (injured), and Pospisil only scheduled for doubles - has retired from both his tournaments this year.

Gasquet taken first set in tie-break v 18 yr old Kyrgios WR 162

Swiss no 2 (Fed) v  Serbian Bozoljac, WR 268,  3-3 going with serve so far, though Fed now has BPs
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7089 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57 PM »

Thanks for the updates Elena.   
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7090 on: January 31, 2014, 02:05 PM »

Thanks for the updates Elena.   

I should be doing other things, but tennis is so addictive!

Fed v Bozoljac 6-4 1-4
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7091 on: January 31, 2014, 02:13 PM »

Interesting...!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7092 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58 PM »

All went Fed's way from 2-5 in 2nd set. Wins  6-4 7-5 6-2.

Golubev beat Goffin 12-10 in the 5th.

Kyrgios challenge must have faded after tight 1st set, Gasquet won 7-6 6-2 6-2

Germany v Spain 1-0 as Kohly beats Bautista Agut in straight sets

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7093 on: January 31, 2014, 03:10 PM »

Never doubted Fed's win, but was glad that he was at least pushed in the second set.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7094 on: January 31, 2014, 06:05 PM »

Wawrinka is playing ****, I knew he would do this. lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 [473] 474 475 476 ... 691 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »