Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 670 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 133700 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7155 on: February 14, 2014, 04:30 PM »

Half term and the college have taken mercy on me by giving me no coursework, I'm ahead in it anyway. I'm a happy bunny today. Very Happy
Oh Gawd.  The devil finds work for idle hands....  lol  (kidding)
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7156 on: February 14, 2014, 04:32 PM »

Oh Gawd.  The devil finds work for idle hands....  lol  (kidding)

IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7157 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35 PM »

I do feel for Del ,we know what little injuries can do and effect a player.

Howeve the good side will be in points for Andy.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7158 on: February 14, 2014, 04:37 PM »

I rest my case...  Very Happy
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7159 on: February 14, 2014, 04:45 PM »

Delpo's wrist didn't look good today at all. It was probably a mistake to play Rotterdam but it's understandable that he wanted to give it a go as the defending champion. Hope he takes time off to let it heal rather than play Dubai. But Gulbis played very well - should be a close match against Tomas in the SF.

Delpo will lose 410 points and go down to number 5. I think Andy will have to win the title to overtake him for the fifth place.

Andy will have 5005 if he reaches the final, Del Potro has 4960 and Berdych will have only 4950 even if he won in Rotterdam. If Andy loses today he will stay 6th unless Berdych is the champion in Rotterdam. A few variations possible with games left to determine the title! If Andy won he would be right on the heels of Ferrer (who has 250 points to drop next week) and even could be in front if Ferrer slipped up in Buenos Aires (unlikely). Worth taking a second look after results from the two overnight! ANDY NEEDS A WIN TONIGHT so I am looking forward but a little apprehensive as always when watching Andy.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7160 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23 PM »

Andy will have 5005 if he reaches the final, Del Potro has 4960 and Berdych will have only 4950 even if he won in Rotterdam. If Andy loses today he will stay 6th unless Berdych is the champion in Rotterdam. A few variations possible with games left to determine the title! If Andy won he would be right on the heels of Ferrer (who has 250 points to drop next week) and even could be in front if Ferrer slipped up in Buenos Aires (unlikely). Worth taking a second look after results from the two overnight! ANDY NEEDS A WIN TONIGHT so I am looking forward but a little apprehensive as always when watching Andy.

That's right - a final for Andy will be enough to take the fifth spot (I edited my original post). With Ferrer, even if he doesn't win in Buenos Aires, chances are that he'll get the points back next week in Rio - a final there would get him 300 points.

Hopefully Andy will get the win tonight to keep things close, fingers crossed!
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7161 on: February 14, 2014, 05:44 PM »

That's right - a final for Andy will be enough to take the fifth spot (I edited my original post). With Ferrer, even if he doesn't win in Buenos Aires, chances are that he'll get the points back next week in Rio - a final there would get him 300 points.

Hopefully Andy will get the win tonight to keep things close, fingers crossed!

I think that you will find he will have 2 sets of Buenos Aires points for a week so whatever he does in Rio will go with his 500 requirement, but he will drop 250 for BA 2013 and I think 90 from Auckland if he gets more than 90 in Rio?  If I am correct it will mean little gain for Ferrer on Andy before Acapulco. He could even lose some points but that is hopeful.  Not too bad. Lots to play for in the next few months. Del Potro losing is a big bonus.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7162 on: February 14, 2014, 05:59 PM »

Just starting to dream about Gulbis beating Berdych. I understand he has been practising with Thiem whom Andy beat in the last round. Just the right preparation to meet another hard hitter and good server? Wouldn't that be good for tennis to have such an unlikely finalist? Gulbis like Murray seems to have made big strides by controlling the emotions and believing in himself.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7163 on: February 14, 2014, 06:04 PM »

Gulbis and Berdych always have tough matches. Berdych leads the H2H 3-2 but Gulbis as always been in the match in more ways than just being on court. He's a tough opponent and has more than a chance of beating Tomas in his current form.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7164 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09 PM »

Gulbis was impressive today and he seems to have sorted his head out.  

I'm getting confused about the rankings [so what's new?] - thought on the rankings thread it had been said Andy can't count these points until he's worked through his 0  penalty points from last year or something?  confused
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7165 on: February 14, 2014, 06:33 PM »

Gulbis was impressive today and he seems to have sorted his head out. 

I'm getting confused about the rankings [so what's new?] - thought on the rankings thread it had been said Andy can't count these points until he's worked through his 0  penalty points from last year or something?  confused

He keeps his zero points (6 of them) but his 90 from Monte Carlo go into non-countable so if he scores more this week he gains points. Tournaments included reflect best total with mandatory inclusions and penalty points taking precedence and can change to give the maximum score from 18 events.  He is only gaining points from here onwards (90 by getting to semi, 210 if he gets to the final and 410 if he is the winner).  Does that help?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7166 on: February 15, 2014, 01:08 PM »

I think that you will find he will have 2 sets of Buenos Aires points for a week so whatever he does in Rio will go with his 500 requirement, but he will drop 250 for BA 2013 and I think 90 from Auckland if he gets more than 90 in Rio?  If I am correct it will mean little gain for Ferrer on Andy before Acapulco. He could even lose some points but that is hopeful.  Not too bad. Lots to play for in the next few months. Del Potro losing is a big bonus.

If I've worked this out right, I think he'll drop the 90 from Auckland on Monday if he wins the semi-final tonight, counting BA instead. Then next week if he gets to the Rio SFs or better that result will replace the 250 BA points from last year - otherwise the Auckland points will go back on his ranking. He's playing an extra tournament compared to this time last year so has the chance to gain points, or to keep his ranking stable if he loses early in one of the events.

Should be an interesting couple of months ahead - looks like Ferrer/Delpo/Andy/Berdych will be very close in the rankings though all have quite a lot of points to defend in IW and/or Miami.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7167 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31 PM »

He keeps his zero points (6 of them) but his 90 from Monte Carlo go into non-countable so if he scores more this week he gains points. Tournaments included reflect best total with mandatory inclusions and penalty points taking precedence and can change to give the maximum score from 18 events.  He is only gaining points from here onwards (90 by getting to semi, 210 if he gets to the final and 410 if he is the winner).  Does that help?
Sort of and thanks for trying to explain but have decided I'm a bear of little brain when it comes to rankings. Given Andy didn't gain any more points from Rotterdam what are the implications for any he might pick up in Acapulco?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7168 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32 PM »

Sijsling claims the first set 7-5 against Cilic, well well.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #7169 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25 PM »

Am I right that we want Cilic to win the final today?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 670 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »