Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 691 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 146412 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #210 on: March 05, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Berdych is down to play Queens this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21657991
As this tournament is attracting so many high-profile players I really think it's time it became a 500.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #211 on: March 05, 2013, 10:59 PM »

As this tournament is attracting so many high-profile players I really think it's time it became a 500.

Who decides these things, anyway, and how do they do it?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #212 on: March 05, 2013, 11:26 PM »

Who decides these things, anyway, and how do they do it?
Presumably the ATP, but I can't immediately find anything that tells you what criteria they use in reaching these decisions.  Does anyone else know?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #213 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40 AM »

They've always attracted these players. This year though Nadal has decided to play Halle instead, so in-fact the field will probably be weaker.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #214 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Yes I was amazed it is only 500. I think the points need to be upgraded, would the LTA be the one's wou decide what the points should be.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #215 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21 PM »

Don't you think we should have a grass Masters? Not having one downgrades grass.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #216 on: March 06, 2013, 03:01 PM »

I don't see why not Nigel it would be great if they did upgrade to a Masters.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #217 on: March 06, 2013, 03:47 PM »

This is a very good article regarding Queens and it's lowly status and what could be done about upgrading it, it's from 2010 but still relevant

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/392212-should-queens-be-upgraded-to-a-masters-1000-event
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #218 on: March 06, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Don't you think we should have a grass Masters? Not having one downgrades grass.
I have no idea why there isn't one already. The season is stupidly short.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #219 on: March 06, 2013, 05:20 PM »

I have no idea why there isn't one already. The season is stupidly short.
agree whats the points of 1 major to be on a season that's 3,4 weeks long ?

ATP why you not have more tournaments on grass ?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #220 on: March 06, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Apparantely to hold a ATP 500 or a Masters 1000 venues must meet a set criteria, (certain capacity in stadiums etc) and apparently Queens doesn't meet all the criteria. I've heard if any thing Halle is more likely to get an upgrade in status, due to it having better facilities, but again it doesn't meet all the criteria. 

To be honest they could keep that poshy snarmy Queen's club as a 250 for all I care.. I'd be much happier to see  Halle upgraded to a 500 or MS1000 considering the UK already has a big one.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #221 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21 PM »

The popularity of grass courts in the overall game, professional or club players (like most of us) has notably diminished. Grass courts are becoming less and less common as the tennis centres are mainly trailing over to the likes of hard court and clay or carpet.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #222 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48 PM »

The popularity of grass courts in the overall game, professional or club players (like most of us) has notably diminished. Grass courts are becoming less and less common as the tennis centres are mainly trailing over to the likes of hard court and clay or carpet.
It's swings and roundabouts.

There will be an extra week for the grass season from either 2014 or 2015 I believe, with the ATP introducing an extra week between RG and Wimbledon. Maybe they'll use this opportunity to introduce a grass court 500, although apparently Hamburg want to switch to grass.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #223 on: March 06, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Well I guess if Hamburg switches to Grass that will fill the void of a grass court 500. Sounds good to me.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #224 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Interesting interview with Gulbis here:

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/a-fast-climb-after-a-steep-fall/

Hope he stays committed to tennis this year - he could rise up the rankings again quickly if he does.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 691 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »