Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 742 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 166459 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #660 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31 AM »

Spoke like a true MTF member.

How in the blue hell is this spoke like a true MTF member? Jesus christ.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #661 on: March 17, 2013, 02:32 AM »

How in the blue hell is this spoke like a true MTF member? Jesus christ.

Having a laugh Prodigy haha.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #662 on: March 17, 2013, 03:20 AM »

I still cant believe Del Potro beat Nole. shocking
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #663 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15 AM »

I can believe it.  He beat him at the Olympics.  He probably has the measure and maybe the court suits him better.  I have read that it plays more like a clay court than a hard court.   Last year there was a complaint that it had been deliberatly slowed down for Nadal type players.  How true this is I do not know but would could potentially believe seeing the tournament owner is besotted by Nadal.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #664 on: March 17, 2013, 07:02 AM »

Hope we're all feeling better about Andy's loss now Whistle
Interesting his slice did for Nole as for A. Also thought N. played him a bit like A. at times - trying to out hit him, just not gonna work. Also slow surface suits his game, gives him loads of time to set up that ferocious forehand.
He moves so well for a huge guy too.
Agree with Grab, if he stays injury free, will take Ex-Fed's place in top 4. Unlike Berdych, Delboy fights all the way.
However, not a fan of any of these giants so hope Rafa whops him.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #665 on: March 17, 2013, 07:22 AM »

To a certain extent the match resembled the one against Andy: the favourite scarcely winning the first set, then struggling in the first games of the second, serving horribly and on top having problems with the timing ( plenty of balls into the net or beyond the lines). Del Po played solid tennis from the baseline returning a lot  of fierce shots ( surprisingly), using his strongest weapon to play winners. The only difference: Nole established a lead in the third set where Andy had already lost control and could not fight himself back into the match (partly due to little chances given by Del Po). At that point I definitely thought he would make it. For tennis it is good to see more competition and not the same predictable outcome all the time.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #666 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26 AM »

^ Yes, that's true. Just wish it were players like Nishikori and Dimitrov who were making "inroads" rather than these huge, huge serving giants.
Unfortunately, I think they are the future of tennis
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #667 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46 AM »

Unfortunately it's a hell of a lot easier to ace the top players (if that is your strength) than to outplay them from rallies like the likes of Dimitrov and Nishikori try to. Although I wouldn't class Del Potro as just a huge serving giant (how many aces did he hit in the QF or SF?), he has some (although not a lot) variety and his forehand is something of wonder. He can create some incredible angles.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #668 on: March 17, 2013, 09:02 AM »

^ agree with you there too...but JMDP's huge wingspan and height give him an incredible advantage, and not just at the net.
Saw him and Fed standing next to each other at the net during the WTF. Fed's not short but JMDP made Fed look like a fairy child. Frown
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #669 on: March 17, 2013, 09:06 AM »

One would assume that Gnome, will now be advising Djokovic's coach that he should "have words with him this weekend and tell him some honest truths?". After all Djokovic won the first set and should therefor have gone on to crush Del Potro. We are after all "talking about a guy who is capable of beating everyone else on the tour but at times he puts in performances like he was ranked outside the top 30".

Throwing away a 3:0 lead in the third set indeed.

These things happen to even the best of players. The conditions at IW were obviously an anomaly. Look at how many seeds fell so quickly. This is what I have been talking about, when I say that the armchair tacticians should consider the wider picture before jumping in feet first to produce somewhat unjust diatribes that end up upsetting folks. Including sensative souls like me.
Losing to Del Potro yesterday doesn't suddenly make Djokovic a rubbish player who is in danger of losing his number 1 ranking (although we can hope). I suspect that his supporters won't be crucifying their man on his fan sites.
Perhaps the lesson from this is that we should go with the flow more when Mr M loses, and aknowledge that the guy is human, and these things happen. As Becker said once something along the lines of "I only lost a tennis match - nobody died".

Lets all try and keep things in perspective, both the positive and negatives brigades.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #670 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47 AM »

One would assume that Gnome, will now be advising Djokovic's coach that he should "have words with him this weekend and tell him some honest truths?". After all Djokovic won the first set and should therefor have gone on to crush Del Potro. We are after all "talking about a guy who is capable of beating everyone else on the tour but at times he puts in performances like he was ranked outside the top 30".

These things happen to even the best of players. The conditions at IW were obviously an anomaly. Look at how many seeds fell so quickly. This is what I have been talking about, when I say that the armchair tacticians should consider the wider picture before jumping in feet first to produce somewhat unjust diatribes that end up upsetting folks. Including sensative souls like me.
Losing to Del Potro yesterday doesn't suddenly make Djokovic a rubbish player who is in danger of losing his number 1 ranking (although we can hope). I suspect that his supporters won't be crucifying their man on his fan sites.
Perhaps the lesson from this is that we should go with the flow more when Mr M loses, and aknowledge that the guy is human, and these things happen. As Becker said once something along the lines of "I only lost a tennis match - nobody died".

Lets all try and keep things in perspective, both the positive and negatives brigades.
My feelings exactly. Well said.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #671 on: March 17, 2013, 09:59 AM »

Absolutely,  Masaka!  I am just reading Hitting Back and have the greatest admiration for Andy in how he dealt with all the rubbish from the media and public even as a very young man.  Well done, Andy.

He is not the only British success story to been dealt this rubbish by the media and public and no doubt will not be the last.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #672 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46 AM »

LoL @ BIB !!

Again wonderful post Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #673 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43 PM »

So happy that Delpo bet Nole.   Just goes to show you that Delpo is no mug         He's improving and will be a threat to the top 4 guys.     I honestly didn't expect a Nadal - Delpo final.  They are both struggling with injuries.    Credit to them.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #674 on: March 17, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Good post Masaka,  We should all remember your post when Andy plays in the future.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 742 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »