Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 739 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 165387 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1005 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47 PM »

yay 6-4
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1006 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00 PM »

yay 6-4
So she's no longer hopeless!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2013, 06:01 PM »

So she's no longer hopeless!

Not anymore. She's now 2-0 up.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1008 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I am not sure how Uncle Toni can make such a big assumption on Federer's back. Also, he's trying to take the pressure off of Nadal already. And he also thinks Ferrer has more chances winning RG than Federer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toni Nadal, the uncle and coach of Rafael Nadal, says that in his opinion, Roger Federer was not seriously injured when he lost to his nephew in straight sets in the quarterfinals of Indian Wells last week. Federer had a back injury.

“Federer has beaten us more than once with Rafael having significantly more pain than [Roger] was in at Indian Wells,” Toni Nadal told Puntodebreak.com. “I'm clear that the situation of Federer [at Indian Wells] was no worse than that Rafael has had on many other occasions.”

Toni Nadal also named his favorites for Roland Garros. He said seven-time Roland Garros champion Rafa is not the clear favorite, but just one of a group of favorites that includes Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Juan Martin del Potro, and David Ferrer. He added that he does not see former champion Federer as a favorite.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UUoGIBfwmAl

"Federer has beaten us".  Well I suppose with all the bench coaching he can say us. " Federer was not seriously injured". That is just arrogant, how does he know what pain the guy was in.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1009 on: March 21, 2013, 08:21 PM »

That was my question exactly. If anything, Federer can say the same thing. And the ‘us’ reference is seriously funny. lol but of course without Uncle Toni, Nadal probably wouldn’t be the player he is right now.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1010 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34 PM »

I am not sure how Uncle Toni can make such a big assumption on Federer's back. Also, he's trying to take the pressure off of Nadal already. And he also thinks Ferrer has more chances winning RG than Federer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toni Nadal, the uncle and coach of Rafael Nadal, says that in his opinion, Roger Federer was not seriously injured when he lost to his nephew in straight sets in the quarterfinals of Indian Wells last week. Federer had a back injury.

“Federer has beaten us more than once with Rafael having significantly more pain than [Roger] was in at Indian Wells,” Toni Nadal told Puntodebreak.com. “I'm clear that the situation of Federer [at Indian Wells] was no worse than that Rafael has had on many other occasions.”

Toni Nadal also named his favorites for Roland Garros. He said seven-time Roland Garros champion Rafa is not the clear favorite, but just one of a group of favorites that includes Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Juan Martin del Potro, and David Ferrer. He added that he does not see former champion Federer as a favorite.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UUoGIBfwmAl
Toni Nadal ...  shutup  My GP told me today my blood pressure is normal.  I want it to stay that way!

Btw my GP is also a huge tennis fan and we got round to discussing Nadal and his knees.  Interestingly, he shares the opinion that, whatever the problem was, Nadal made absolutely sure he was 100% match fit before he made his comeback otherwise he could never have played as he has been doing.  Not that anyone has any objection to Nadal having done this - just the deceitful way the whole thing has been presented.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1011 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10 AM »

@Tessie
That was my feeling too. How can Tony possibly know how Fed's back is?  Very poor. It would be like Annacone commenting on Rafa's knees.
Tony comes over as a real control freak and, although possibly he has made Rafa the champion he is, close relatives  do not make good coaches.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1012 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03 PM »

Vika's pulled out of Miami-apparently with the same ankle problem that forced her withdrawal from IW.Poor girl!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1013 on: March 22, 2013, 03:17 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21897964
Andy Murray backs Heather Watson to recover from setbacks

Andy Murray has backed Heather Watson to overcome her recent setbacks while warning of the dangers of burnout.

Watson, who faces losing the British number one spot to Laura Robson, will continue with her schedule despite saying on Tuesday she planned a break.

She considered taking time off after exiting the Miami Masters, where Murray faces Bernard Tomic on Saturday.

"Heather and Laura will be fine. They have good people around them," Murray told BBC Sport.

Watson announced on Tuesday that she was planning a break after suffering a first-round defeat for the second tournament in a row, saying she felt "burnt out".

But she told BBC Radio 5 live on Wednesday that she meant she wanted to return home to Guernsey for a few days.

Robson will replace her as British number one by beating Alize Cornet of France in the second round in Miami on Friday.

Murray, 25, believes that burnout is a greater danger on the women's Tour, where players often start at a younger age, than it is for the men.

But he recalled his own experiences of trying to juggle a demanding schedule as an 18-year-old after playing at his first Wimbledon in 2005.

The British men's number one said: "After I played Wimbledon for the first time, I played 10 weeks of events in a row, right through to the US Open. I wouldn't dream of doing that now. My body would be too sore and I would get so tired.

"But when you first get on to the Tour, you want to play every single week. Everything's new to you, and you want to be involved in any event you can because it's what you've always dreamed of.

"Once you get there, it's important to reassess your goals, and understand that resting is very important. The physical side is very important, so that you can have a long career.

"I think it has happened more on the women's Tour than the men's Tour that a lot of players have burned out in their mid-20s and have wanted to go off and do other things.

"A lot of the women started on the Tour at 15 or 16, which doesn't happen so often with the men.

"You have to make sure you schedule your events properly, get enough training in and everything will be fine."

Murray, who has a house in Miami, is hoping that home comforts will help him through his opening match, a second-round meeting with Australian Tomic, who won his first ATP title in Sydney in January.

"I spend three or four months a year here, and it's nice to go back after a match and not have to stay in a hotel," he said.

Tomic beat French qualifier Marc Gicquel 7-5 7-6 (7-3) in round one to set up the meeting with Murray.

"Bernard's one of the top guys coming through," Murray said. "He started off the year very well, winning his first title and reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open.

"He's not unbelievably quick, but he has very good anticipation, so he also looks as if he has a lot of time - that's why he will be difficult to play against."

Murray could rise to second in the world rankings for the first time since 2009 if he were to win the tournament in Miami.

But he said: "Getting to number two would be nice but it's not the ultimate goal for me. I try to concentrate on winning events if possible and the rankings will take care of themselves."
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1014 on: March 22, 2013, 05:35 PM »

What's going on with Monaco? After a career best 2012 he's having a horrendous 2013. Will lose 590 350 points if he loses today - currently 5-2, double break down to Albert Ramos (who hasn't been having a great year himself).

Hasn't won a single match all year outside the Davis Cup! Probably some injury niggle. Fish was the same last year, just really struggling to win a match, and then of course it turned out he had a heart issue.

Azarenka has withdrawn, replaced by a LL, Lauren Davis. Davis currently 5-5 in the 3rd with Madison Keys. Winner takes on Cornet/Robson.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter March 22, 2013, 08:54 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1015 on: March 22, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Chardy, Benneteau etc. also lost. Both are not doing well since the AO.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1016 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06 PM »

What's going on with Monaco? After a career best 2012 he's having a horrendous 2013. Will lose 590 points if he loses today - currently 5-2, double break down to Albert Ramos (who hasn't been having a great year himself).

Hasn't won a single match all year outside the Davis Cup! Probably some injury niggle. Fish was the same last year, just really struggling to win a match, and then of course it turned out he had a heart issue.

I think there must be some injury with Monaco - it's very unlike him to do so badly, even on clay.

In better news, Tipsarevic won his first match since the Australian Open 3rd round, beating Sela 6-2, 6-4. Pleased that he's got a win.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1017 on: March 22, 2013, 08:34 PM »

Stunning performance so far from Kamke.  Giving Delpo a lot of trouble.  Delpo had 3 SPs at 5-3 but failed to capitalise.

And here comes the rain.  Play suspended by my fave umpire, Molay, at 3-2 to Delpo in the TB.

Play resumes but Molay declares lines too slippery, so they're off again.  4-3 Delpo.  So frustrating for the players. 

Back on court now after 8 min delay.  Cmon Delpo!

Urgh.  Kamke wins TB 7-5.  Can he keep this level up?

More drops of rain.  Fed must be in the neighbourhood!

Molay confers with supervisor and the players go off as more rain expected.  Potential screw-up of schedule.

TennisTV showing a repeat of lst year's Murray/Djoko final.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 22, 2013, 09:08 PM ] IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1018 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10 PM »

How often can DelPotro come back from a set behind?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #1019 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24 PM »

How often can DelPotro come back from a set behind?
He's done it in the past, but I reckon a lot will depend now on whether Kamke can keep the advantage he gained here when play resumes, whenever that is.  Delpo wasn't playing badly but Kamke, as so often happens in these cases, was playing out of his skin because he's got nothing to lose.  Whether he can revive that level though remains to be seen.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 22, 2013, 09:29 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 739 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »