Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players  (Read 110056 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2130 on: April 24, 2013, 04:59 PM »

Exactly - these losses happen to everyone, there's no need to panic. Andy losing on clay to Wawrinka really wasn't that bad a result.

Maybe he should have missed it, but it's one of his favourite tournaments and he probably didn't want to let his home fans down by not playing. He said in his press conference that he had no spark today and wasn't good mentally or with his tennis. He said it was a match to forget - probably one of the worst he's played in the last few years. Hope things improve for him in Madrid.

With him and Dimitrov losing, that's my two favourites from this week gone one after the other! Ah well, Rafa winning the whole thing was never in doubt anyway...
Dimi gone too?  Oh well, c'est la vie.  I must admit that whilst I can accept how players feel about playing in certain tournaments despite injury, I'm not sure which is worse for their fans - them not playing, or them taking part, playing badly and making early exits.   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2131 on: April 24, 2013, 05:06 PM »

M.eanwhile Simon/Nieminen 1-1 each in Bucharest
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2132 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Big upset no doubt. Do you suppose he'll recover just in time for RG? I somehow feel his confidence level is a bit shaken - especially after that beating he took from Nadal not so long ago. And the match against Andy must have done some final damages as well. Though I must report that he was not tagged to win in either cases.

I hope he will - though his results haven't always been that great at RG. I wouldn't be surprised by early exits at either Madrid or Rome though - tough to go into those with so little match practice. I think you're right about the Nadal loss having an effect - although a Nadal win was expected, the big surprise was just how one-sided the match was.

Dimi gone too?  Oh well, c'est la vie.  I must admit that whilst I can accept how players feel about playing in certain tournaments despite injury, I'm not sure which is worse for their fans - them not playing, or them taking part, playing badly and making early exits.   

Looking at how down David looked after the loss, I think it's worse when they play badly and lose. Top players set such high standards for themselves, it must be very frustrating for them when they don't live up to their own expectations.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2133 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37 PM »

I can't believe how many clay tournaments Nadal plays each year. After Barcelona, he will have to play Madrid and Rome back to back and then RG right after a week or so. I get tired just thinking about it. That's a lot on plate. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2134 on: April 24, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I hope he will - though his results haven't always been that great at RG. I wouldn't be surprised by early exits at either Madrid or Rome though - tough to go into those with so little match practice. I think you're right about the Nadal loss having an effect - although a Nadal win was expected, the big surprise was just how one-sided the match was.

Looking at how down David looked after the loss, I think it's worse when they play badly and lose. Top players set such high standards for themselves, it must be very frustrating for them when they don't live up to their own expectations.
I think I'd prefer to see Andy withdraw than play with an injury.  Barcelona last year when he went out to Raonic wasn't very pretty to watch and he always gets so frustrated with himself when he knows he's playing badly, injured or not.

Meanwhile in Bucharest Nieminen fought back from 4-2 down in the 3rd to 4-4.  Simon struggling to serve the match out at 5-4.  This must be deuce for the 6th time.

And Simon finally does it.  Nieminen though certainly made him work for his win, which was good to see.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 24, 2013, 05:53 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2135 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41 PM »

I can't believe how many clay tournaments Nadal plays each year. After Barcelona, he will have to play Madrid and Rome back to back and then RG right after a week or so. I get tired just thinking about it. That's a lot on plate. 

He needs all these tournaments for his ranking points. It is a lot though, and I'm not surprised his knees are sore by the time RG is over.

I think I'd prefer to see Andy withdraw than play with an injury.  Barcelona last year when he went out to Raonic wasn't very pretty to watch and he always gets so frustrated with himself when he knows he's playing badly, injured or not.

Meanwhile in Bucharest Nieminen fought back from 4-2 down in the 3rd to 4-4.  Simon struggling to serve the match out at 5-4.  This must be deuce for the 6th time.

And Simon finally does it.  Nieminen though certainly made him work for his win, which was good to see.

I'm pleased Simon won - at least one of my favourite players made it through the day. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2136 on: April 25, 2013, 01:33 PM »

I see Raonic is playing Gulbis today. That should be fairly interesting and also, Berdych vs Robredo. Later Nishi/Ramos. Go Paire.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2137 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34 PM »

Still raining in Barcelona.  I don't think we're going to see more play today.  Nadal vs Paire hasn't even started yet.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2138 on: April 25, 2013, 06:47 PM »

The play's been cancelled now. It's going to really mess up the schedule for tomorrow - a lot of the players are going to have to play twice. If they get to play that is as the weather forecast doesn't look good. They're starting the matches early tomorrow - 10.30am BST - beginning with Nadal v Paire.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2139 on: April 25, 2013, 06:48 PM »

I want Gulbis to get far. I see him crushing Raonic who isn't great on clay, despite the Andy win last year.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2140 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54 PM »

The play's been cancelled now. It's going to really mess up the schedule for tomorrow - a lot of the players are going to have to play twice. If they get to play that is as the weather forecast doesn't look good. They're starting the matches early tomorrow - 10.30am BST - beginning with Nadal v Paire.

Looks like a total washout. Are they good to play tomorrow? No rain in the forecast then I presume?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2141 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05 PM »

I want Gulbis to get far. I see him crushing Raonic who isn't great on clay, despite the Andy win last year.

I don't see that happening. Raonic has a win over Gulbis on clay. He leads the H2H too.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2142 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Nishikori & Monaco were supposed to be playing doubles together today as well. Nishi didn't even get to play his singles match.

The Monaco/Chardy score today was intriguing - Monaco winning 6-0 7-6 (13-11). There seem to be quite a few very one-sided sets and very competitive ones in the same match this week.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2143 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Monaco destroyed Chardy in the first set. Didn't expect that at all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2144 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20 AM »

Looks like a total washout. Are they good to play tomorrow? No rain in the forecast then I presume?
Friday morning and afternoon - cloudy.  Rain in the evening.
Saturday - rain all day.
Sunday - partly cloudy and quite cool

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Barcelona-weather/Catalonia/ES.aspx

Things could get quite interesting, especially as rain is forecast for Monday.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »