Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 690 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 143462 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2640 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58 AM »

Grigor is an unbelievable player.  He  finally gets a win over one of the top guys.  He deserves it.       Nole looked very shaky from the start, I honestly thought the crowd were pathetic.  Good atmosphere but they should have shown more respect towards the world number 1.  Can believe Nole said suck my **** to the crowd    shocking   
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2641 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50 AM »

Dimitrov v Djokovic,full match for anyone interested:

[ Last edit by xxdanixx May 08, 2013, 09:22 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2642 on: May 08, 2013, 09:19 AM »

Murray cops that sort of thing often enough. I don't think crowds always appreciate Djokovic's gamesmanship. I do suspect this was a tactical defeat for Djokovic.

Andy does indeed cop this sort of thing all the time, especially when he's playing Federer, or Nadal for that matter, but people don't choose to see it. Personally I didn't think they were anti-Djokovic, they were just pro-Dimitrov. It was like support Andy got in the USO final, no worse than that, and a damned sight more respectful than Andy had at the O2.

Perhaps if Djokovic hadn't been silly about a few calls, questioning some that a blind man could have seen were in,  in what looked like a clear attempt to slow Dimitrov down, the crowd might have been a bit more balanced. As it was, Djokovic used a bit of gamesmanship, as per usual, and it bit him on the backside. If I was unkind I might say about time too, but I'll remember the point Djokovic conceded (Andy did the same in his match today) and be gracious.

I still don't think Djokovic tanked. I do think he got caught a bit cold by an opponent who almost took a set of him in Indian Wells, almost did the same to Andy in Miami and took the match in MC to Nadal all the way. I think Dimitrov has learned by past mistakes and gritted it out last night. I really don't think he's ready to do it in a major, so no one should get carried away, but that doesn't take away from how he played last night.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2643 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11 AM »

Well done Dimitrov - this was an exciting, brilliant match but Nole certainly wasn't playing at his best. He fell to the same fate as Andy has at times - lost to a player who is playing out of his tree, trouble is with Dimitrov he is is likely to continue playing this way in a couple of years time, if not sooner, and then there will be a tremendous fight for No. 1. Andy and Nole will have to sharpen their games to cope and so tennis will move forward yet again. Hope D beats Stan!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2644 on: May 08, 2013, 10:27 AM »

I feel for Djokovic at times, like Andy he seems to kop stick from supporters because thy have their hero's number, With Andy it's usually from Federer fans but with Novak it's from Rafa supporters, i hear it was pretty strong last night and all because the Spanish see Novak as the one threat to King butt picker - still this is how it is in tennis and players need to rise above it and not take it personally, which i understand cannot always be easy, I certainly would struggle with it myself so kudos to those who manage it.

The sad part is, it only really applies to everyone not called Nadal or Federer (although i understand Rafa gets booed sometimes at the French) which is understandable considering their dominance over the last 10 years, they do seem to have cornered the market on fandom, it's just a shame that the majority of tennis fans in general have failed to recognise the effort both he and Andy have put in since 2008 to try and break this monopoly, they certainly do not get the credit they deserve.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2645 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39 AM »

I see Laura Robson has the prime slot today, 9:30pm night session, should be enjoyable.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2646 on: May 08, 2013, 11:26 AM »

Impressive by Janowicz so far - the indoor-like conditions in Madrid seem to really suit his game.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2647 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31 AM »

Grigor is an unbelievable player.  He  finally gets a win over one of the top guys.  He deserves it.       Nole looked very shaky from the start, I honestly thought the crowd were pathetic.  Good atmosphere but they should have shown more respect towards the world number 1.  Can believe Nole said suck my **** to the crowd    shocking   

Did he?? Omg I missed that
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2648 on: May 08, 2013, 11:53 AM »

I feel for Djokovic at times, like Andy he seems to kop stick from supporters because thy have their hero's number, With Andy it's usually from Federer fans but with Novak it's from Rafa supporters, i hear it was pretty strong last night and all because the Spanish see Novak as the one threat to King butt picker - still this is how it is in tennis and players need to rise above it and not take it personally, which i understand cannot always be easy, I certainly would struggle with it myself so kudos to those who manage it.

The sad part is, it only really applies to everyone not called Nadal or Federer (although i understand Rafa gets booed sometimes at the French) which is understandable considering their dominance over the last 10 years, they do seem to have cornered the market on fandom, it's just a shame that the majority of tennis fans in general have failed to recognise the effort both he and Andy have put in since 2008 to try and break this monopoly, they certainly do not get the credit they deserve.

I think all of the top players have their issues and falibilities.

I dislike Fed - simply because of his arrogance and the poor sportsmanship he increasingly displays. Not just against Murray but the likes of Warwrinka.

I dislike Djokovic, Nadal and Ferrer because I do think at some point they will be outed as involved in some form of doping. I also think Nadal and Djokovic's gamesmanship  crosses the line into cheating sometimes.

Equally Djokovic's magnaminity when he loses is one of his positive traits. His hug for Murray after the US Open final point was a joy.  Nadal's unsolicited congratulatory tweets to Murray last year were also nice. Ferrer has rung every drop out of his natural talent, and tries his heart out for limited reward. One Masters 1000 and then only because the big guns wanted out.

I like Bahgdatis because of the way he behaved in that late running match at Wimbledon last year.

Tsonga doesn't do it for me, probably because his oTT celebrations make me cringe a bit. It is also because he usually gives Murray tough matches. Equally I was glad he got his doubles silver medal because he is another one who battles on without ever really getting the trully big rewards.

I find Raonic arrogant as well and no respecter of his elders and betters. 

I am afraid I struggle to find any redeeming traits in Federer at all. He behaves as though he is God, but never faces up to the fact that a lit of his success came in quite a weak era.

As for Murray - what I respect most is his try, try again and then try some more attitude. I completely agree that he doesn't get the credit he deserves. The lad has so many demons, but has battled on until he won the prize he so desperately wanted. I treasured the comment after the US Open that if he had never been able to play another tennis match he would have gone into retirement content and fulfilled.

All in all I am hard to please...!!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2649 on: May 08, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Impressive by Janowicz so far - the indoor-like conditions in Madrid seem to really suit his game.

Impressive but then ended up being depressing. When I first checked the score this morning, Janowicz was a set up and so there was some hope, but Berdych did his job fairly easily in the next two sets. No contest from Janowicz there.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2650 on: May 08, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Impressive but then ended up being depressing. When I first checked the score this morning, Janowicz was a set up and so there was some hope, but Berdych did his job fairly easily in the next two sets. No contest from Janowicz there.

Apart from the numerous break point chances he missed...
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2651 on: May 08, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Janowicz did have a break point I think early in the second set, but Berdych played well to save himself. But after that, Berdych definitely looked like the more likely winner.

So a day after Andy, Berdych also recorded his 400th win today.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2652 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22 PM »

Apart from the numerous break point chances he missed...

How many did he have? Too bad he couldn't convert it; on the other hand, Berdych must played with guts to avoid those.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2653 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23 PM »

Robredo was up a break in the 2nd and was about to go 5-2 up and now it's 5-4 on serve.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #2654 on: May 08, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Haase is suddenly playing well in this tournament. 3-0 up in first set TB against Tsonga.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 690 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »