Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 670 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 133585 times)
Rachie
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4185 on: July 28, 2013, 08:34 PM »

i do apologise for the Monfils thing I was misinformed. There is alot of that going on at the moment regarding this doping thing. I will say no more on it now, unless we get official confirmation on anything.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4186 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43 PM »

i do apologise for the Monfils thing I was misinformed. There is alot of that going on at the moment regarding this doping thing. I will say no more on it now, unless we get official confirmation on anything.
Let's hope the rumours about Tsonga are just part of that.  It's quite frightening really just how quickly this sort of thing can spiral out of control.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4187 on: July 28, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Maybe this is why Andy is so out spoken about dope,he knows what goes on.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4188 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42 PM »

Maybe this is why Andy is so out spoken about dope,he knows what goes on.
I don't doubt it, and it must be difficult for him if he does know, or suspects, that anyone's cheating and has to play against them.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4189 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Rumours are that Tsonga is on a silent ban.
The only place I've seen that rumour is here.  Sounds like fat hairy bollex to me.  Don't go around repeating unsubstantiated rumours.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4190 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »

I apologise for the misunderstanding, Gnome.

grouphug

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4191 on: July 29, 2013, 12:22 AM »

grouphug

hug

The only place I've seen that rumour is here.  Sounds like fat hairy bollex to me.  Don't go around repeating unsubstantiated rumours.
I wonder where ProdigyEng got it from?  Another tennis forum?

The only info about Tsonga is that he and Marion Bartoli will be partnering each other in the Hopman Cup - http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/tennis/18029165/
[ Last edit by Aileen July 29, 2013, 12:54 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4192 on: July 29, 2013, 01:19 PM »

Nole's dad heaps praise on Andy and his family, slightly rubbishes Rafa and really goes for  Fed:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=471784

lmao
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4193 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44 PM »

w00t Very interesting BBH.....Enjoyed the comments as well! Thanks for sharing!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4194 on: July 29, 2013, 02:51 PM »

That's interesting BBH, thanks for posting.

That sort of view of Fed seems to be coming up more and more often now. I get the feeling that in the past certain people felt that saying things like that was inappropriate, given Federer's position in the game, but now I think people feel more prepared to say certain things. It reminds me a little of what Gulbis said a while back, that one bit, where it was patently obvious he was talking about Federer's attitude to opponents. They can't both be wrong, can they?

What Mr. Djokovic said about Nadal was interesting, and not all that difficult to believe.

I like what he had to say about Andy, and Judy as well. That was gracious. I like the way he understands why Novak and Andy can't be close just now, but might be in the future. I'm sort of inclined to agree.

I suppose he was never going to be exactly neutral about Novak's tennis, and some of what he had to say, frankly, is a bit OTT, but I do agree that Novak is fairly gracious in defeat. I didn't think the implication that he is the only one who is was entirely fair though. I'd have liked to see him talk about Novak's attitude in victory a bit. I've noticed this year that Novak doesn't do the shirt-ripping thing as much - I don't like it and I know I'm not alone - and I would have liked to know if this is a deliberate thing on his part. I would have liked to know if someone has had a word about that and explained how it can look.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4195 on: July 29, 2013, 04:23 PM »

My pleasure gals Smile While it's lovely to read all those nice things about Andy, I do feel Mr D. has been unwise.
Haters gonna hate Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4196 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02 PM »

My pleasure gals Smile While it's lovely to read all those nice things about Andy, I do feel Mr D. has been unwise.
Haters gonna hate Eyebrow raise.
They'll always find an excuse to do it anyway, so if it isn't here it'll be somewhere else.

I like the way he understands why Novak and Andy can't be close just now, but might be in the future. I'm sort of inclined to agree.

I suppose he was never going to be exactly neutral about Novak's tennis, and some of what he had to say, frankly, is a bit OTT, but I do agree that Novak is fairly gracious in defeat. I didn't think the implication that he is the only one who is was entirely fair though. I'd have liked to see him talk about Novak's attitude in victory a bit. I've noticed this year that Novak doesn't do the shirt-ripping thing as much - I don't like it and I know I'm not alone - and I would have liked to know if this is a deliberate thing on his part. I would have liked to know if someone has had a word about that and explained how it can look.

I like that too, TJ - and I do hope their friendship becomes close again when they hang up their racquets, because I like both of them.

I've noticed that about Novak too, and his apeman celebrations always irritated me.  Maybe his Dad, or his PR team had a word?  Or maybe he just simply decided it was time he grew up?

What caught my eye though was that Novak doesn't lose his temper when he's losing.  Erm ... what about the racquets he's smashed up?  Frustration?  Anger?  There's not much difference between them really.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4197 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04 PM »

Djoko only shirt ripped twice IIRC
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4198 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34 PM »

I like that too, TJ - and I do hope their friendship becomes close again when they hang up their racquets, because I like both of them.

I've noticed that about Novak too, and his apeman celebrations always irritated me.  Maybe his Dad, or his PR team had a word?  Or maybe he just simply decided it was time he grew up?

What caught my eye though was that Novak doesn't lose his temper when he's losing.  Erm ... what about the racquets he's smashed up?  Frustration?  Anger?  There's not much difference between them really.

I like both of them too, on the whole. I think they are alike in a lot of ways, but different enough to make life interesting. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they do become very good friends when they have both retired, but for now I'm glad they aren't, because of what that signifies for Andy - that he's a threat and Novak knows it, which I think is brilliant.

I seem to remember Novak doing the apeman thing last when he beat Wawrinka in Australia. I honestly don't recall him doing it since. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling someone might have had a word about it. I know the internet was quite lively with comments after that match, a lot of them said how inappropriate the reaction was after such a great match, where Stan really took it to Novak. I think some felt Novak was rubbing Stan's nose in it a bit, and I am inclined to agree. The thing is, players often avoid the internet, papers and such during tournaments, for reasons that make sense, but surely some stuff gets back. I also seem to recall Novak apologising on twitter after the match, and while it wasn't exactly clear, a lot of people thought he was apologising for the apeman bit. Either way, I'm glad he appears to have stopped doing it.

I should have commented on that last bit! I can recall a few times in recent years when Novak has smashed racquets when he's losing! Wimbledon, either last year or the year before springs to mind. I think it was last year. He was having some bother on the middle Saturday and smashed the living daylights out of a racquet! It is frustration, of course, and they all do it from time to time, but frustration is temper really, losing your temper at the situation.

I do get the feeling that Novak's parents do put him on a bit of a pedestal, and knowing what my mother was like about my brother (she absolutely worshipped the ground he walked on) I do get it. What sticks in my mind from the Wimbledon final though, was the way Novak's Mum went over and hugged Judy after the match. It looked utterly genuine and was so classy. The contrast between that and the moment when Andy was climbing up to the players box was striking. My eye was drawn to Jelena standing at the front of the box. She was standing there with her hands on her hips looking absolutely livid.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4199 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40 PM »

^ Thanks goodness Kim never looks that like when Andy loses.  She always looks so sad that I want to give her a big hug.   Also I seem to recall it was Jelena who complained afterwards about the crowd putting Djoko off, not Djoko himself.  In fact Djoko made no excuses at all because that isn't is his nature to do so, although his fans had a field day with them. Rolling Eyes

I'm very happy to see Delpo has accepted a wild care to play in Washington. yay  I'd like to see him win the title again, so long as he keeps hands of the USO one!

Looks like quite a good field, but a shame that Tsonga won't be there -

Tsonga ... withdrew from Wimbledon during a second-round match due to a tear of his left knee cap tendon and will be out of tournament competition for an extended period of time. The injury requires a minimum of four weeks of medical treatment.

Hope that puts an end to the ridiculous 'silent ban' nonsense.   It was clear from what I saw at Wimbledon that he was in serious difficulties.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 29, 2013, 06:46 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 670 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »