Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 ... 707 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 155003 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4215 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52 AM »

As for parents, all parents think their children are the closest thing to God on earth. It goes with the territory!

If only that were the case, the world would be a happier place, But alas, it just aint so.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4216 on: July 30, 2013, 11:39 AM »

I hope he will too, TJ.  He's still down as playing in Montreal, but I can't see that happening if he was told he would need treatment for four weeks.  Wasn't it last year though that he had an accident with a fire hydrant?

It was, yes, in Toronto. I still can't quite understand why he didn't see it!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4217 on: July 30, 2013, 08:35 PM »

It was, yes, in Toronto. I still can't quite understand why he didn't see it!
Neither can I.  It was certainly big enough.  Maybe something attracted his attention and so he wasn't looking where he was going?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4218 on: July 30, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Confirmation of Cilic's failed drugs test by Bob Brett:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/30/marin-cilic-tennis-drug-test
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4219 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11 PM »

^ Thanks Katie.  At least all that he did was take too much glucose, but I agree that players should be made aware of the risks of taking anything bought over the counter, and I like the WTA's approach.

Also I agree that the guilty players should be named, regardless of their ranking.  That would put paid to the 'silent ban' nonsense - (a) it would put an end to speculation, and (b) top ranked players should not be allowed to hide.  A clear message needs to be sent out that there's zero tolerance to drugs in tennis.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4220 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47 AM »

^ Thanks Katie.  At least all that he did was take too much glucose, but I agree that players should be made aware of the risks of taking anything bought over the counter, and I like the WTA's approach.

Also I agree that the guilty players should be named, regardless of their ranking.  That would put paid to the 'silent ban' nonsense - (a) it would put an end to speculation, and (b) top ranked players should not be allowed to hide.  A clear message needs to be sent out that there's zero tolerance to drugs in tennis.

I'm pleased the test didn't show up any serious PEDs - it does seem like this was just an oversight on Cilic's part. I like the WTA's approach too -  by doing this they can both protect their players and ensure that buying over the counter products can't be used as an excuse for failing drugs tests.

I definitely agree that guilty players should be named but I don't think provisional bans should be made public as that could harm players who are later cleared. It'd be interesting to know who leaked Cilic's name to the press - he can't be pleased about that at all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4221 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36 PM »

I definitely agree that guilty players should be named but I don't think provisional bans should be made public as that could harm players who are later cleared. It'd be interesting to know who leaked Cilic's name to the press - he can't be pleased about that at all.
I don't think these bans should be made public either, since it's really a case of guilty until proven innocent.  Unfortunately there are always going to be people willing to leak stories to the media in return, no doubt, for a handsome sum of money.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4222 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59 PM »

I don't think these bans should be made public either, since it's really a case of guilty until proven innocent.  Unfortunately there are always going to be people willing to leak stories to the media in return, no doubt, for a handsome sum of money.

That's very true. The timing seems strange with Cilic's name being outed the day after Troicki's case was confirmed. Perhaps a journalist was fishing around for other names afterwards.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4223 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53 PM »

That's very true. The timing seems strange with Cilic's name being outed the day after Troicki's case was confirmed. Perhaps a journalist was fishing around for other names afterwards.
Quite possibly, given how these things can sometimes go - one scandal breaks in the media about somebody well-known and in no time another one pops up.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4224 on: August 01, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Meet Dolgopolov the Rap star!

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4225 on: August 03, 2013, 12:54 PM »

more information about Cilic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/marin-cilic-pulls-out-of-montreal-masters-after-claims-of-failed-drug-test-8744506.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4226 on: August 03, 2013, 03:02 PM »

The one thing I don't understand about the situation with Cilic, and it's probably me being stupid, is that if he failed a test in April, why was he only told at Wimbledon? Whilst not directly accusing Cilic of anything, it strikes me that you could have a player who has deliberately cheated, and surely potential opponents would have a right to know before four months has passed. Also, the player under suspicion surely has a right to know as soon as possible, so they can explain themselves.
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4227 on: August 03, 2013, 03:25 PM »

The one thing I don't understand about the situation with Cilic, and it's probably me being stupid, is that if he failed a test in April, why was he only told at Wimbledon? Whilst not directly accusing Cilic of anything, it strikes me that you could have a player who has deliberately cheated, and surely potential opponents would have a right to know before four months has passed. Also, the player under suspicion surely has a right to know as soon as possible, so they can explain themselves.

Ruthie I do not understand that either, Cilic could well have won at Queens Club again, seems very odd to me, although Marin having been coached by Bob Brett for a long time suddenly changed his coach I wonder if Brett left him due to the so called "drugs" ban.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4228 on: August 03, 2013, 04:35 PM »

It's all a complete mystery to me too I have to say.  They seem to move very slowly.  And it seems to be suggesting that by withdrawing from a run of tournaments Cilic can take his punishment when it suits him. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #4229 on: August 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »

It's all a complete mystery to me too I have to say.  They seem to move very slowly.  And it seems to be suggesting that by withdrawing from a run of tournaments Cilic can take his punishment when it suits him. 

That was the other thing that confused me too, this idea that pending the tribunal, a player can choose whether or not they continue playing. Don't misunderstand me, I'm 100% for the idea of innocent until proven guilty, but who in their right mind wants to play with that hanging over them?

As for Bob Brett, there's an article somewhere on here about his views on Cilic's situation. I remember reading it and thinking Brett sounded furious. He said he'd always drummed in to Cilic about being careful what he took, things that were bought over the counter and so on. He sounded really angry. I suppose we'll never know if that is why they parted company.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 ... 707 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »