Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 668 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 131660 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5130 on: August 18, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Yep, you can't tell me he'd have lost to Berdych or Gulbis in New York. Therefore, he wasn't giving 100%.

He could but it is a lot less likely. Andy should be beating both of those players. He is the higher ranked and the better player skill wise and acheivement wise. Isn't hard court supposed to be Andy's best/favouritw surface yet his grass form has been better overall recently..
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5131 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »

Did you seriously just say that my humor is on par with people who find suicide funny?

You're taking this way too seriously. Your 'facts' are nothing but speculation. Moving on. One of your 'facts' is literally just saying that there have been rumors.

No I did not say that your humour is on par with people finding suicide funny, I merely made the observation that your sense of humour is diametrically opposed to my own, and gave an example of an extreme of so called humour. Your post seemed to be quite mocking. I dislike being mocked over things that are important to me. Do you?

The definition of a fact is "a thing that is known to be true". Hence the statement that there have been rumours regarding Nadal's possible involvement in doping on the internet, is by definition a fact. I cited it to show that some people outside of this forum are also questioning  Nadal's relationship with drugs.

If I think you come over as a  bit of a pratt, that doesn't mean you are one. If lots of other people also think you are a bit of a pratt, it still doesn't mean you are one, but it makes it more likely. The probability of you being a pratt increases.

Precisely how are any of the statements numbered 1-8 in that post speculation?

The Lance Armstrong debacle was incredibly damaging to cycling as a sport. Personally I would prefer that not to happen to tennis. Regrettably I think that it is almost inevitable that it is going to.

You may think I am taking this too seriously, I do not. In both cases it is opinion, as opposed to fact. Does that help you understand the difference?

I rather think I am wasting my time, trying to have a rational discussion with you on this topic, so shall we agree to disagree?
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5132 on: August 18, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Everyone's obsession with accusing everyone but Andy of doping on this site would be embarrassing if it wasn't so hilarious.

Yeah, it's baffling. How did it suddenly become group-think accepted fact that Nadal is the biggest drugs cheat ever, closely followed by Novak and Lance Armstrong?

Now it's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that they are doping, but it's pretty unlikely. The top players are tested a lot: http://www.itftennis.com/media/141081/141081.pdf

Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were each tested at least 8 times last year. If anything you should be worried about the players outside of the top 50, who are subject to a less rigorous regime.

IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5133 on: August 18, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Nadal didn't play for most of last year. So I would be surprised if he was tested as much as Andy and Novak.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5134 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20 PM »

Yeah, it's baffling. How did it suddenly become group-think accepted fact that Nadal is the biggest drugs cheat ever, closely followed by Novak and Lance Armstrong?

Now it's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that they are doping, but it's pretty unlikely. The top players are tested a lot: http://www.itftennis.com/media/141081/141081.pdf

Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were each tested at least 8 times last year. If anything you should be worried about the players outside of the top 50, who are subject to a less rigorous regime.

I disagree with you here. I don't think that table tells the full story. Given the number of matches the top players play, and the length of the season I think the number of tests is pitifully small. As of Murray's match against Berdych he had played 41 singles matches, so assuming that that was roughly halfway through the year he might by the end of  the year play about 80 matches. The number of in competition tests could be as little as 7. So potentially he might only be tested for 9% of his matches.

The out of competition testing, (bearing in mind that that is when a player might take PEDs if they were disposed to), and that a player I think can miss at least one test, means that a player might only be tested once during the whole season, and if they miss that one test they might not actually be tested at all.

The ITF also seems to consistently under spend it's drug testing budget. Many of the top players including Murray and Fed have said how little they are actually tested. We also don't know if everything is being tested for each time.

Given the ever increasing sophistication of doping in sport I actually think that table supports my assertion that drug testing in tennis is completely inadequate. I actually think that table could be used to support a view that tennis is actively trying to avoid catching drugs cheats.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5135 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19 PM »

Players are always tested whenever they win a title so if they are using something to give themselves an edge in a final they will be caught for it.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5136 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27 PM »

Players are always tested whenever they win a title so if they are using something to give themselves an edge in a final they will be caught for it.

I think the point with many PED's is precisely that you can take them, they create a particular benefit, be it increased stamina, more power, but the actuall drugs are excreted from the body. So f you test after a final the drugs are long gone. One would assume that's why Troicki received his ban. He refused to allow the testers to take blood, for some completely unbelievable reason. He was however quite happy to be blood tested the following day, when he knew the drug would be out of his system.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5137 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46 PM »

Azarenka beats Serena.... OH MY GOD.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5138 on: August 18, 2013, 11:49 PM »

YESsssssssss
noserenkA!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5139 on: August 18, 2013, 11:54 PM »

How did that happen
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5140 on: August 18, 2013, 11:56 PM »

How did that happen

Serena's injured. Azarenka crucified the ball with power. Tennis is dead. Serena Frown
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5141 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03 AM »

Serena injured? Is she the WTA's version of Kneedal all of a sudden? ahahhahah.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5142 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12 AM »

She strained her abdomen really badly against Li Na, she couldn't move for a while.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5143 on: August 19, 2013, 12:24 AM »

She strained her abdomen really badly against Li Na, she couldn't move for a while.

Noserena is always picking up niggling injuries yet winning tournaments anyway, didn't she win Madrid or Rome with an ankle injury.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5144 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51 AM »

"Kneedal" - brilliant. May I adopt it?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 668 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »