Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 ... 747 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 171596 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5340 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09 AM »

And he left them behind in his hotel drawer!  Had to get a compatriot to bring them back to Chile. Rolling Eyes

Shame though that Andy came so close to emulating this achievement.

If Andy had won the double gold I can't imagine he would have left them behind, can you? Smile.

Amazing to think he was just a couple of points away from achieving it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5341 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40 PM »

If Andy had won the double gold I can't imagine he would have left them behind, can you? Smile.

Amazing to think he was just a couple of points away from achieving it.
No I can't.  Couldn't believe it when I read about this in the papers.  Also he just put them in a drawer in his hotel bedroom - not exactly the safest place!

I think the fact that Laura was serving then (if memory serves me right) might have been a bit unfortunate.  A couple of Andy aces wouldn't have gone amiss - and he quite often comes up with the goods when he has to.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5342 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19 PM »

No I can't.  Couldn't believe it when I read about this in the papers.  Also he just put them in a drawer in his hotel bedroom - not exactly the safest place!

I think the fact that Laura was serving then (if memory serves me right) might have been a bit unfortunate.  A couple of Andy aces wouldn't have gone amiss - and he quite often comes up with the goods when he has to.
Don't worry Aileen! Unlike some other players, he'll have another chance in Brazil! Very Happy
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5343 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26 PM »

Carole Bouchard ‏@carole_bouchard 1m
Tsonga and Rasheed are over. Tsonga decided to stop. Reasons given : language issues and fact that Rasheed lives in Australia

Shame - I thought Jo was progressing quite well with him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5344 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05 PM »

That's a bit of a shame about JWT and Roger Rasheed.

I have to confess that I did have misgivings initially. I watched Rasheed's body language when Jo was playing the WTF, and it wasn't so much that Rasheed was giving Jo no reaction at all, like Lendl and Andy for example, but that the reaction didn't seem very helpful. There were times when Rasheed looked like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him, which couldn't have been good for Jo.

Since then, Jo did seem to progress, so I thought they'd come to some sort of understanding. Rasheed spoke very highly of Jo at RG, even before Jo beat Federer. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for them.
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5345 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58 AM »

Can anybody tell me, why Serena has to wear such a short dress so that when she is playing we can all see her underwear, or am I just being old fashioned?????
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5346 on: September 02, 2013, 08:59 AM »

Can anybody tell me, why Serena has to wear such a short dress so that when she is playing we can all see her underwear, or am I just being old fashioned?????

She always wears short dresses, as does Venus. It's just her fashion statement.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5347 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04 PM »

Showing knickers  has always been popular among women tennis players since everyone got over the shock of seeing Gorgeous Gussies's frilly pants in the fifties or was it the late forties
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5348 on: September 04, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Rafael Nadal: I'm disappointed I may never have chance to play Roger Federer at US Open

RAFAEL NADAL admits not getting the chance to face Roger Federer at the US Open would be one of the biggest disappointments of his career.

The pair, who have never met at Flushing Meadows, were scheduled to continue one of the greatest rivalries in sport in the quarter-finals this year.

But while Nadal was upholding his part of the bargain with a fourth-round win over Philip Kohlschreiber, the sad demise of Federer continued.

Over the past few seasons he has been sliding steadily away from the summit on which he stood for so long.

And in the early hours of Tuesday morning, he suffered another surprising defeat at the hands of Tommy Robredo.

Under the bright lights of the Louis Armstrong stadium, the frailties of arguably the greatest player ever were cruelly exposed as he went down 7-6 6-3 6-4.

Federer cut a devastated figure as he trooped back to the locker room, wearing the look of a man who knows his time at the highest level may be up.

There would be no eagerly anticipated showdown with Nadal.

The duo have enthralled us all with classic confrontations in finals of Wimbledon and both the French and Australian Opens but appear destined never to serve it up in New York.

Nadal said: “To be honest, it was going to be great if we were able to play that match.

“But to play quarter-finals you have to win four matches and that’s not easy.

“For so many years we played in all the best scenarios around the world. We probably deserved to have a match here in the US Open, on the biggest court in the world.

“It didn’t happen. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen in the future, we’ll see. But it is true we are getting older, so the chances are less today than they were five years ago.”

After making 36 consecutive Grand Slam quarter-finals – the most in the sport’s history – Federer has now missed two in a row.

This is also the first time in a decade he hasn’t made it beyond the fourth round at Flushing Meadows and the first year since 2002 he has failed to make a major final.

The waning of his powers was evident at Wimbledon earlier this summer when he exited in the second round at the hands of Sergiy Stakhovsky – ranked 116 in the world.

His loss to Robredo was equally surprising.

Federer comfortably won all 10 of his previous matches against the Spaniard for the loss of just three sets.

During yesterday’s contest he made a staggering 43 unforced errors.

Federer said: “I feel like I beat myself. I self-destructed, which is very disappointing. I struggled throughout and missed so many chances. It’s been frustrating.

“But it’s not that much of a disappointment not to make the quarter-finals. Playing
like that I won’t beat Rafa or Kohlschreiber.”

Age and injury appear to be finally catching up with the 32-year-old who has been struggling with back problems for 18 months.

After his early exit at SW19, he used a 98 square inch racquet for a tournament in Hamburg after playing his entire career with a 90 inch model.

Most players on tour use 100 to 106 inch versions so this was an admission he needed more power to compete.

His one-handed backhand was the shot causing him most concern, especially against Nadal who has won 21 of their 31 meetings.

Nadal’s topspin forehand has been clocked at 4900rpm, making it almost impossible for any player, who doesn’t use a double-handed backhand to handle.

The fact Federer was able to win 17 major titles using that one-handed technique proves his greatness but it seems unlikely now he will ever stretch it to 18.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5349 on: September 04, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Oh Lol am sure Rafa would just love to play Fed a few more times lmao
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5350 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24 PM »

The famous Gasquet implosion ??????
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5351 on: September 04, 2013, 08:26 PM »

On the upside the chance to meet Andy for the first time in a Slam final is very much alive....
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5352 on: September 04, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Oh Lol am sure Rafa would just love to play Fed a few more times lmao
Just to rub his quite considerably big nose in it no doubt.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5353 on: September 04, 2013, 08:50 PM »

Never let it be said that sweet, innocent, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth Rafa has any problem with head games.

Mind you, I do wish the media would stop wittering on about Federer's loss being a surprise. It just isn't, not based on his form all year.
IP Logged
warehouse

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5354 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46 AM »

Q. Nadal is undefeated on hard courts this year and you're undefeated on clay. Patrick said this year balance was really important with your clay game. I wondered about transitioning from clay to hard courts, what the challenges have been?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, actually, it's a lot easier, the transition, because the hard courts have gotten so slow since when I started playing.
They were a lot faster. And now it's just so many more balls come back, and it's just almost basically playing on a fast clay court. I think the transition is a lot easier than it used to be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 ... 747 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »