Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 ... 692 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 147953 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5370 on: September 13, 2013, 01:10 AM »

It's because of the big serve they have that causes the back problems. I bet they practice their serving more than most as well which only makes things worse.
IP Logged
warehouse

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5371 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Tsonga:

"How did Murray win his slams? Because he's surrounded by 14 people"

Interview with Tsonga in L'Equipe today translated by @markalannixon - interesting stuff.

Quote:
I'm between apprehension and impatience. The tendon is still sensitive and a bit painful. I'm still not putting too much stress on it. I need some time before I do that.

(On sending a "B" DC team against lesser opponents)I made the connexion to my injury. In Argentina (QF beginning of April) I played my heart out and won in 5 (Berlocq), and I was dead the next day because I'd just got in from the hard court in Miami with 8 hours of plane travel still in my legs. We were all exhausted. I was fried and I lose. If I could have had 10 days off after Miami, it would have been different. 10 days to me is a third of my holidays. Spain won DC several times and they didn't always have Rafa. We don't have to be there all the time. The frustration is real...

(New coach) It's not like there's a transfer window. There's no deadline. The objective really is to find a structure that would put the odds on my side. I'm looking for somewhere I can recuperate, where there are monitoring facilities for the medical, nutritional, and physical preparation for tennis. A place to prepare mentally. I need to build a more complete team than I could have with Roger. We didn't work badly together, but, when you get to a certain level, with the constraints that exist, you need a war machine you can fall back on.

There's thought behind this. I'm criticised for stopping with Roger in the middle of the season, but the idea is to have time to prepare for 2014 by finding solutions, which don't come just by snapping your fingers. The result might be having someone to direct my practices who collaborates with someone else, who mayby was a top-10 player. One I travel with, and another I'm in contact with by phone.

How did Murray win his slams? Because he's surrounded by 14 people. I won't be travelling with that many, but perhaps I'll have a group where I train. It's complicated for me. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. It's really a bit sad because I train like crazy. I'm an animal physically, but that's not how I'm going to beat the top 2-3. I've tried to see just how far I can go. But there's a point where my body says to me "You're a nice guy, but this isn't possible." I can't go 5 sets with those guys without it affecting my health. I'm not on the same planet as Nadal and Djoko. Their level never drops, so I have to beat them quickly. I have to be explosive. I have to change the way I work. I have to be quicker, pack more punch, move forward, hurt them.

What I learned with Roger has stayed with me. I know I can stay in rallies if I have to. It's one more option for me, but I can't do it better than they can. But I can be better with other things, like pure hitting. Because I'm stronger and hit the ball harder than most, and can do it from almost anywhere on the court. I can go to the net and place volleys, I'm athletic at the net, I can run, I can cover a lot of ground. Even better than before.

If I reach the end of my career without attaining my dreams, at least I've tried everything possible, explored everything. If I don't succeed, it's because I wasn't good enough, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm most proud of doing everything I could with my head held high. I don't know many who've had a herniated disc at 19, then made the top 10.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rmme83
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5372 on: September 22, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Good match between Tsonga and Simon in the Metz final.  Simon took first set 6-4.  Tsonga had a golden opportunity to level at 5-4 but a costly UE saw Simon snatch it from him.

Too many UEs in the second set from Tsonga, which Simon took 6-3.

Still it was nice to see JW back in action.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 22, 2013, 02:58 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5373 on: September 22, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Good match between Tsonga and Simon in the Metz final.  Simon took first set 6-4.  Tsonga had a golden opportunity to level at 5-4 but a costly UE saw Simon snatch it from him.

Too many UEs in the second set from Tsonga, which Simon took 6-3.

Still it was nice to see JW back in action.

Yes it was a good match. Nice return from injury for both of them - and more good news for Gilles after the birth of he and his fiancée's second son, Valentin, earlier this month. Smile This is Gilles' 11th career title.

I see Gulbis also won a title this week (St. Petersburg) - fighting back from a set and 1-4 down. It's good to see him playing better tennis this year.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5374 on: September 25, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I see that djokovic has been at no 1 for 100 weeks
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5375 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49 PM »

Almagro lost again today - his fifth defeat in a row (he last won in July). I know indoor hard courts aren't his thing but I hope he can regain form soon. From his twitter posts he seemed really keen to do better in Kuala Lumpur. It must be difficult though when you've not got the rhythm or the confidence from winning matches.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5376 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Good win for Joao Sousa (WR77) over David Ferrer  9-2 7-6 in the QF in Kuala Lumpur.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5377 on: September 27, 2013, 01:32 PM »

Good win for Joao Sousa (WR77) over David Ferrer  9-2 7-6 in the QF in Kuala Lumpur.

Delighted. The more he loses the more likely Murray is to keep his no 3 ranking. Has he lost points?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5378 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Delighted. The more he loses the more likely Murray is to keep his no 3 ranking. Has he lost points?

Not really - he only gets 45 and was defending 90, but they were in "non-countables" anyway. Ferrer will move to no 3 I think after Shanghai as he has nothing to defend in the next couple of weeks, while Andy will lose 780.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5379 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Ferrer is awful. Thank god he keeps being exposed for the nonsense joke he is lately.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5380 on: September 27, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Interesting first set score. wink

I hope he doesn't accumulate too many more points by the end of the season even if he does go up to #4,  although unlike PE, I really like Ferrer.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5381 on: September 27, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Interesting first set score. wink

I hope he doesn't accumulate too many more points by the end of the season even if he does go up to #4,  although unlike PE, I really like Ferrer.

I don't think he will Aileen. He's already over 900 points behind Andy in the race, so even if he does pass him, chances are his lead will be slim.

I see Del Potro is now playing Tokyo, replacing Andy. Good move from him playing there as most of the top guys are in Tokyo (Tsonga is the only other top 10 player). If I've worked this out right, I think he will pass Berdych in the race and rankings if he wins the title.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5382 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Paris will be the big one for Ferrer, he has to defend 1000 points
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5383 on: September 27, 2013, 05:02 PM »

^ Thanks Katie and The Gnome for all that info. Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5384 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Vulture won't win Paris.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 ... 692 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »