Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 1 Member and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 383 [384] 385 386 387 ... 706 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 154739 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5745 on: October 12, 2013, 04:26 PM »

I said I would stop.

Your earlier comments didn't seem to convey this except the last one which I missed.

Thank you, Prod.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5746 on: October 12, 2013, 04:58 PM »

JMDP vs Novak Final will happen.

You were right!

Delpo has now qualified for WTF and Berdy must have done too - I can't see any way he could get knocked out of the top 9 in the race.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5747 on: October 12, 2013, 05:09 PM »

Had a feeling fast courts would favour JMDP vs Rafa, not only that but he has always been a tough match up for Nadal who's spins forehands land right in Juans hitting zone.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5748 on: October 12, 2013, 06:17 PM »

If DelPo wins the final, he's 370 points behind Andy.
After Shangahi, though, how many ranking points does Delpo have to defend before the end of the season?   Whilst I'd be delighted if he did win, and he did beat Djoko in IW, I wouldn't like to see Andy pushed down to No.5 by the end of the year because he might struggle a bit anyway at the beginning of next until he gets back to full match fitness.

Sorry to learn though that J&J lost, although they've been having a good run recently.  Does that mean that there's no chance at all of them getting to the WTF?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5749 on: October 12, 2013, 07:19 PM »

going back to the debate about height.  Just read an interview with Rod Laver in which he says he thinks he would have struggled in today's game because 'his 5ft 8in frame would have counted against him in an era dominated by bigger players'.  Admittedly he was defining tall more broadly than bbh did: 'If you're not 6ft 2in or 6ft 4in you'd have to do a lot of other things well to combat the bigger man'.  And that's the point.  It doesn't mean tall players always beat shorter players or will always be successful but their height gives them an advantage.  And I suspect some of today's very tall players would perform worse than they do were it not for their height.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5750 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23 PM »

8 of the top 10 are over 1.85m in height.

The only ones at a disadvantage are Wawrinka and Ferrer I guess.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5751 on: October 12, 2013, 08:01 PM »

Nishikori either doesn't seem to do too badly, and all three prove what Ruthie said - that the shorter players can find ways to beat their taller opponents.

Also it comes down to the point, i.e. that Andy is 'shorter' than players like Isner who's 6" taller - so from that point of view, if a player has the talent and the tactical nous, height becomes irrelevant.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 12, 2013, 08:07 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5752 on: October 12, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Like I've said before, there's no way height counts as an outright advantage, as there's things involved with being tall that neutralise what the tall players can do.

There's advantages of being short, and there's advantages of being tall.

Ideally 6ft3 - 2 is the best height for most Tennis players
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5753 on: October 12, 2013, 08:23 PM »

The tall guys (Isner, Raonic, Janowicz, Karlovic, Anderson etc.) all have a huge serve, don't they. This does not mean that smaller players can't serve powerfully. Yet, the serve is the only stroke in tennis which more or less works without your opponent's influence. You also have a better net coverage due to your span. Therefore, the height provides a certain advantage, in my eyes. On the other hand, shorter players might be quicker around the court (although a lot of taller players seem to have improved in that field). But it is as it is.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5754 on: October 12, 2013, 08:33 PM »

Oh my Rafa lost again but in the semis this time instead of the final good
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5755 on: October 12, 2013, 09:49 PM »

Federer has split with Paul Annacone.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5756 on: October 12, 2013, 09:54 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5757 on: October 12, 2013, 10:37 PM »

That doesn't really surprise me. But I don't think that any differences Federer makes to his team or equipment will do him any good.Age catches up with all of the players eventually. And nothing can change that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5758 on: October 12, 2013, 10:42 PM »

That doesn't really surprise me. But I don't think that any differences Federer makes to his team or equipment will do him any good.Age catches up with all of the players eventually. And nothing can change that.
My thoughts exactly Caroline.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5759 on: October 13, 2013, 01:01 AM »

After Shangahi, though, how many ranking points does Delpo have to defend before the end of the season?   Whilst I'd be delighted if he did win, and he did beat Djoko in IW, I wouldn't like to see Andy pushed down to No.5 by the end of the year because he might struggle a bit anyway at the beginning of next until he gets back to full match fitness.

Sorry to learn though that J&J lost, although they've been having a good run recently.  Does that mean that there's no chance at all of them getting to the WTF?

Delpo has got loads of points to defend before the end of the year: Vienna 250 (not playing this year), Basel 500, Paris 90, WTF 400.

Andy will lose 490 from Paris + WTF and I think his 15 DC points won't be counted as he hasn't played enough 500s this year.

Best thing at this stage is to look at race rankings. http://live-tennis.eu/race updates after every match. Andy's points won't change, so it's just a question of how many others can gain. I think it's possible that Andy could get pushed into 5th, but it would require both Ferrer and Delpo to do very well in the next few weeks.

It is still possible for Jamie & John to get to WTF, but it depends on them doing well, and at least one of the teams in 7th/8th place (and probably others too) doing badly in the next three weeks. More in the Jamie thread
[ Last edit by Elena October 13, 2013, 01:10 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 383 [384] 385 386 387 ... 706 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »