Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 ... 671 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 134676 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5895 on: October 19, 2013, 07:23 PM »

The O2 contenders haven't done a great job of getting maximum points this week, with Raonic and now Tsonga going out early - and neither of them seem to be playing next week. Gasquet still in though.

I think Berdy should get the 5th slot - unless he has two bad tournaments, but Stan/Fed/Tsonga/Gasquet/Raonic are all quite close really in the race for the other three places.

sorry to see JWT has gone out - am keeping my fingers crossed he makes it to 02, preferably at the expense of smugfed (and Raonic).
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5896 on: October 19, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Just noticed Dimitrov has made the final in Stockholm and is facing Ferrer. Anyone think he has a chance at winning his first title? I haven't followed the tournament so I don't know how easy/difficult his route to the final has been. See on the ATP site he defeated Paire from a set down to win the semi-final.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5897 on: October 19, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Would like to see him win it scotjules much prefer his tennis to Ferrers.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5898 on: October 19, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Yes I would too. I know in some ways Andy took longer then expected to fulfil his potential but by Dimitrov's age he had reached a slam final and won 3 masters 1000 events! I worry if Grigor doesn't have a proper breakthrough soon he may never do it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5899 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24 AM »

In some ways you could argue Andy took a while to reach his potential, but he was moving in the right direction all the time, because he was focused, not to mention brilliant.

I think it's tough for the young players now, the opposition is so tough. The top 100 or so, maybe even deeper than that, is littered with talent, which is why I think it's been hard for people like Dimitrov to really establish themselves.

Dimitrov has got a lot of potential, but I do wonder sometimes lately how focused he is. I also think he could be a player who 'gets it' all of a sudden and has a big win out of nowhere. That's a big ask in the current climate though.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5900 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50 AM »

In some ways you could argue Andy took a while to reach his potential, but he was moving in the right direction all the time, because he was focused, not to mention brilliant.

I think Mr M was a slightly different case. As we saw in the documentary he is still very much a man shaped by the trauma of his childhood. I still think people don't truly take on board just how much that event impacted on his growing years. Not just being in the school at the time, but the aftermath of growing up in a town where the surviving children  had to cope with the guilt of the survivors, and the grief of the adults around them. You wonder just how much the surviving children must have subconsciously felt all of the time that they shouldn't be naughty, that they needed to be grateful they were still alive.

Add to that the pressure he has lived with from the Great British Public, since they first became truly aware of him when he was about 18. The fact that unless he won Wimbledon he would be deemed a failure - another in the long line of British tennis players who always fell short.

That to me is why I see his achievements as being so great. If you look at the context in which he has become a multiple GS winner and Olympic champion, personally I think he is on parr with any of the others. Could Federer, Djokovic, or Nadal have achieved anything like what they have achieved if they had been expected to do it under the conditions Mr M has had to? I think John Mac and Boris Becker have said the same.

To my mind the issue is not that Mr M took a long time to reach his potential, it's that he managed to do it all. That's the incredible thing.

Mind you the fact that he is also brilliant has helped....!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5901 on: October 20, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Just noticed Dimitrov has made the final in Stockholm and is facing Ferrer. Anyone think he has a chance at winning his first title? I haven't followed the tournament so I don't know how easy/difficult his route to the final has been. See on the ATP site he defeated Paire from a set down to win the semi-final.
I don't see why Dimitrov shouldn't beat Ferrer.  His confidence will have been increased by getting to the final whereas Ferrer is on the downward slope from his peak it strikes me.  I fear perhaps Dimitrov might have been distracted by all the celebrity stuff with Sharapova and his good looks  but he can play beautiful tennis so a first title would be good.  And while I have nothing against Ferrer I don't want him gaining points at Andy's expense.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5902 on: October 20, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Dimitrov has been in poor form recently, and reaching the Final in Stockholm will have been a good boost for his confidence. I am not a big fan of his but that's partly down to the fact that he has lots of potential and is wasting it. I don't like seeing the young players waste their potential, and it's time Grigor stepped up and stopped diva'ing around.

I dislike Ferrer a lot, so I will be rooting for Grigor here.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5903 on: October 20, 2013, 12:41 PM »

Kukushkin take out the trash.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5904 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00 PM »

I think it's tough for the young players now, the opposition is so tough.

Good post teejay. I'm sorry if my initial posting came across as dismissive of Andy's achievements prior to 2012. I didn't mean it that way at all - I was really thinking of the people who went on about him not winning a slam. That was why I said "in some ways"

To see Grigor win in Stockholm would be brilliant because from what I've seen he has the talent and the potential. You're right it is getting harder to win titles.

Masaka - great post from you too - I'm not sure how to quote more than one person at a time!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5905 on: October 20, 2013, 03:42 PM »

Ferrer and Grigor tied at one set all - 6-2 3-6.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5906 on: October 20, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Daveed in a bit of a dog-fight now since Dimitrov has raised his game.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5907 on: October 20, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Wowsa.. Daveed df's to give Dimitri the lead 4-3 on serve.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5908 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14 PM »

5-3.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #5909 on: October 20, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Who will win??
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 ... 671 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »