Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 668 Go Down Reply
Author

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

(Read 132001 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6705 on: December 07, 2013, 11:04 PM »

Is Jamie playing because Jeremy Bates had to pull out with an injury? I saw Jamie yesterday for a while and they mentioned Bates was injured.

I saw some of Rafter/Ivanisevic this evening. That was fun. I wish I'd watched the end of that match really. Oh well.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6706 on: December 07, 2013, 11:59 PM »

I loved the Rafter/Ivanisevic match.    Pat Rafter was always a favourite of mine and it is a pleasure to watch him volley.   Bring back the volley.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6707 on: December 08, 2013, 12:12 AM »

@Aileen I am enjoying the Statoil Masters. I am confused by Jamie M's involvement. I thought it was for players who were retired from the main tour.

It's great to watch some tennis without any stress.
I thought the same thing too about the Statoil Masters so checked out the website where I found this -

"To be eligible to play on the ATP Champions Tour, players must have been ranked number one in the world, played in a Grand Slam singles final or played singles for the victorious team in a Davis Cup Final.  Each event is permitted to invite up to two wild cards who do not meet the criteria."

So that explains the presence of Jamie as well as Mansour Bahrami, who seems to pop up every year and at other events as well.

Is Jamie playing because Jeremy Bates had to pull out with an injury? I saw Jamie yesterday for a while and they mentioned Bates was injured.

I saw some of Rafter/Ivanisevic this evening. That was fun. I wish I'd watched the end of that match really. Oh well.
Jamie was already down as playing in the doubles, but I can't figure out who replaced Bates.   Wayne Ferreira wasn't on the original player's list but he replaced the injured Edberg.

Shame you missed the end, because just when everyone thought Goran was down and out, he got himself together (aided hilariously by advice from the spectators) and pulled back from 0-4 to level the set, which as you know Rafter took.

I loved the Rafter/Ivanisevic match.    Pat Rafter was always a favourite of mine and it is a pleasure to watch him volley.   Bring back the volley.
I agree.  That is what I call 'tennis'!
[ Last edit by Aileen December 08, 2013, 12:41 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6708 on: December 08, 2013, 07:31 AM »

I believe the court is very fast which of course aids s and v. You'd have to speed the surfaces up if you want to bring it back.
Must admit I got horribly bored when Sampras was dominating the tour.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6709 on: December 08, 2013, 06:49 PM »

I was never a fan of Sampras either, and I dread to think what tennis will be like if its future is the likes of Raonic.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6710 on: December 08, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Janowicz is a proper all court Tennis player. Has a big serve, but also efficient ground game, brilliant drop shot and touch, and more than good enough net skills.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6711 on: December 09, 2013, 05:59 PM »

I hear Nadia Petrova's mum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6712 on: December 09, 2013, 07:14 PM »

I hear Nadia Petrova's mum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news.

Wow. Petrova isn't exactly having the best time of her career, this is going to make it worse.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6713 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50 PM »

I don't know anything about Petrova but it's a very tragic thing to happen.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6714 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54 PM »

I don't know an awful lot about Petrova, but my heart goes out to her and her family.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6715 on: December 10, 2013, 12:03 AM »

Petrova is one of the only Russian female tennis players who don't have a family friendly coaching team. Which in this situation is kind of lucky I guess.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6716 on: December 10, 2013, 01:02 AM »

Petrova is one of the only Russian female tennis players who don't have a family friendly coaching team. Which in this situation is kind of lucky I guess.
I agree that that could be to her advantage but I would think it'll take her a long time to get over this.  How far it will affect her tennis though will depend on her mental and emotional strength.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6717 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Sorry to hear about Nadia Petrova's mum, very sad news.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6718 on: December 30, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Kyle Edmund v Vasek Pospisil starting in chennai. Live on youtube

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players « Reply #6719 on: December 30, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Kyle was down 0-3 at the start, but otherwise match has been on serve. Went down 0-40 at 3-3 in 2nd set, but won next 5 points to hold.

Pospy leading 6-3 4-5. Kyle doing well in his first match since the end of September.

Dan Evans will play Gulbis in Doha tomorrow!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 668 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »