Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 67 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 12761 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 05:31 PM »

Nah........It's probably just his smugness expanding outwards!  Whistle
naughty
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 12:02 AM »

Venus Williams is out of the Australian Open.

The seven-time grand slam winner pulled out of the ASB Classic in Auckland last week, because of on-going health issues.

She's now been forced out of the year's first major, raising further questions about her future in tennis.

On her website, Williams says she is making progress with her diet and fitness as she battles and auto-immune disease.

She intends to return to the WTA Tour next month.

Spain's Tommy Robredo has also withdrawn from the Australian Open, having pulled out of the Heineken Open with a leg injury.

For some reason at Sky Magazine here in NZ (possibly Australia too) put Venus on the front cover promoting the tennis at the AO - can't understand why?  Ladies tennis is yawn at times and she pulled out of last year's tournie with injury and was a touch and go option for this year.  But hey, what do I know? retard
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17 AM »

I like Venus but I feel her career is in the twilight zone.
Tsonga is going to be massively dangerous at AO. He's reached the final b4, is brimming with confidence and is playing brilliantly.
Hope he meets one of the other four in the quarters.  Whistle
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21 AM »

Always thought that Venus like her sister lives on another planet.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 05:04 AM »

Germany's world number 10 Andrea Petkovic has withdrawn from next week's Australian Open with a stress fracture of her lower back, tennis officials said Wednesday.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/12557064/tennis-petkovic-out-of-open-with-back-injury/
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45 AM »

Goodness,withdrawal's total mounts daily. It's not just our Andy who gets injured. Though, admit it certainly feels like it at times.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Germany's world number 10 Andrea Petkovic has withdrawn from next week's Australian Open with a stress fracture of her lower back, tennis officials said Wednesday.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/12557064/tennis-petkovic-out-of-open-with-back-injury/
Droppin' like flies!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25 AM »

When you have won as much as Roger has you can afford to create a schedule that makes the majors your main focus. Tsonga and Berdych are always dangerous players, but Roger has since crushed Tsonga a few times including the US Open and hes taken good care of Berdych. the match against Tsonga Roger was 2 sets up.

Murray has never beaten Roger in a Slam as you rightly say both matches were in finals but no reason to think that a Semi or quarter would be any different, as Roger once said he is essentially an attacking player Murray is defensive, in that kind of match up the attacking player in this case Roger decides who wins the match, not the defensive player which is Murray.

Nadal is always a threat to Roger, but Roger when playing well is capable of beating him handily like he did at the O2, Djokovic is the only real concern but even he showed signs of fatigue towards the end of this season, how he starts 2012 will be very interesting indeed.

But no reason to thinik it won't happen either, right? 

Nadal's game isn't attacking. It's mostly defensive. He moonballs as a tactic and their H2H is 17-9 Nadal. In Grand Slam alone it's 6-2 Nadal.

Andy leads Federer 8-6. Outside GS, it's 8-4. In GS, it's 0-2.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 12:37 AM »

I think 2012 will answers some of these long awaited questions:

- Will Murray finally win a Slam?

- Will Djokovic continue to play the same level as 2011?

- Will Nadal finally solve the Djokovic puzzle?

- Will Federer retire if he's unable to win a Slam or will he continue to play?

- Will Del Potro break into top ten and have a similar run like 2009 USO?

- Who, in the youngsters, will make the most noise? Is it Tomic or Raonic or Harriosn or Young or Nihsikori or Dolgopolove?

IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 01:00 AM »

Nadal's game isn't attacking. It's mostly defensive. He moonballs as a tactic and their H2H is 17-9 Nadal. In Grand Slam alone it's 6-2 Nadal.

To say Nadal is a moonballer shows lack of knowledge for our sport but I know despite our disagreements that you do know a lot about tennis but that claim is crazy he is one of the best counter punchers in history amd can turn defense to attack in a flash.

Well despite Murrays' results against Roger as you say he trails 0-2 in majors and 0-6 in sets played, lets see if he can actually give Roger a competitive match in a major first before we start saying he's a threat to him in a major because so far he hasnt proved he can compete with Roger in the main events in our sport.

Novak is the slight favourite against everyone else in the draw the match is on Roger's racket.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 01:25 AM »

You didn't get it. I am not calling Rafa a moonballer. He moonballs as a tactic not that his whole game is based on it. I did say Rafa is mostly a defensive player; you chose to ignore that.

Rafa moonballs when he needs to slow things down so that he can go back to his hitting zone and have the momentum on his side. That's why I said it's a tactic not his whole game.

Nole also trails Andy 1-0 in majors. Andy was unable to win a set there either which makes his mental case stronger. I wonder what would you have said in Lendl's case if were both from that time. McEnroe was the better player or it seemed but Lendl came on top and now is sitting with 8 slams. 1 more than McEnroe. Bet no one knew it back then.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 01:29 AM »

- Who, in the youngsters, will make the most noise? Is it Tomic or Raonic or Harriosn or Young or Nihsikori or Dolgopolove?

I'd say some of those youngsters are already making so much noise, I can't even hear their names correctly...? Or maybe I'm just colour-blind..
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25 AM »

When and why did Roger get one of his big toes transplanted on his nose?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 07:27 AM »

When and why did Roger get one of his big toes transplanted on his nose?
lmao No not surgery, too much sun... Whistle

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 07:52 AM »

Just seen score and Laura Robson going well against Oudin in a qualifier  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 67 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »