Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] Go Down Reply
Author

DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion

(Read 4395 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Could you name more than two players for the singles, or does it have to be two?
You could name a 3rd singles player but it would have to be instead of a doubles player and then one of the singles players would have to play doubles.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

My understanding is that the Captain names 4 players. If there is already an established Doubles pair, then there is only 2 places left for the Singles player.

For example, for the USA, because one of the Bryan's brother wife has given birth to a baby so he couldn't play, the USA named another Singles player so they had
Bryan, Isner, Fish, Ryan Harrison (3 Singles and 1 Doubles player).

Fish combined well with Bryan and they thrashed Switzerland 5-0 lol
[ Last edit by Philip February 14, 2012, 08:43 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Cheers guys Smile Seems quite restrictive. 5 would be a good number.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

I was astounded by his play some of it was immense, very controlled aggression and even when he missed the lines, he kept going for his shots, brave play for which he was rewarded.   I think I may have been in the same hotel as you were, wondered if may have bumped into each other whilst there?  What did you think of Ward and his play?

Yes think we must have been in the same hotel as there is only the one (as far as I know within walking distance) Didnt spend much time there though we were doing girlie things like shopping and going to the cinema when not watching Tennis.  Have already booked for April.
I was a little disappointed with James especially on the Sunday he seemed very flat. He had been out injured apparently so may not have been match fit.  Dont think he has the game Dan has though not as versatile and after Queens last year maybe grass is his surface.

By the way had a tweet from Dan too so!

IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Cheers guys Smile Seems quite restrictive. 5 would be a good number.

Well actually, I think that 4 suits us (GB) perfectly due to the fact that there is only 1 strong Singles player in the team.  With 5, teams like Spain / France who have many players in the top 100 will have a big advantage.

Even Switzerland, due to the fact that they don't have a proper Doubles team relied on Federer and Wawrinka to play on all the matches.  We are in a slightly better position with Colin/Ross so our Singles players have a day rest in between which is a huge advantage.  In earlier days, Tim and Greg had to play all 5 rubbers on 3 consecutive days, hence GB tends to lose by 3 rubbers to 2 as they are knackered comes Sunday.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

By the way had a tweet from Dan too so!

I think this is the real Dan Evans!
http://twitter.com/#!/Evo151216
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »