Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 13699 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Australian Open 2013 - the other players « on: January 09, 2013, 12:56 AM »

The AO official website continues with it's love of all things Federer and has him as one of the players to watch this year yawn

Wonder if he will have all his matches on RLA? Think

Must try and see Ferrer this year, despite him playing up the road from me today Whistle

Any dark horses we should watch out for?

I notice that Millman has been given a wildcard this week.

* AO 2013.JPG (28.62 KB, 610x288 - viewed 371 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:35 AM »

^ That pic of Fed really made my day ... Rolling Eyes

Two top 20 players, unfortunately, are slightly doubtful - Kei Nishikori (knee injury, which he picked up in Brisbane) and Juan Monaco (hand).

Both withdrew from Kooyong on the eve of the tournament.  Nishikori tested his knee out in practice and declared himself not fit enough to play, whilst Monaco has been advised by doctors not to play "in the next few days", although the seriousness of the problem is so far unknown.

However Nishikori, who reached the QF here last year, will use the remainder of the week to undergo intensive treatment, and remains upbeat, saying "It's not bad - let's cross the fingers and hopefully it will be okay".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-09/nishikori-a-doubt-for-australian-open/4457864?section=sport

Meanwhile Janko Tipsarevic, who says he's found a way to thrive in the shadow of his more illustrious compatriot, but who has never got beyond R3 in Melbourne, is feeling confident after a career best year in 2012, saying -

"About 18 months ago I changed my attitude to the game," ... "I thought that four to six hours of hard work on court was enough and then your day ends.

"I discovered that tennis is a way of life, you need to breathe it every day to achieve results and become a success at the top, top level.

"When I understood that, the results started coming and I became a better player."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/serbias-court-jester-tipsarevic-can-be-kooyong-king-20130109-2cfgm.html

So could Tipsy be a dark horse and go far into the tournament?
[ Last edit by Aileen January 09, 2013, 07:28 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:50 AM »

Wild cards go to Millman, Duckworth, Saville (boys Champion), Smith, Mitchell, Wu, Rhyne Williams and Josselin Ouanna.

Been some very impressive performances from some of the teenage WCs in Qualifying. French 18yo Pouile beat Groth 2&2, Jordan Thompson (unranked I believe) beat Renavand whilst 16to Thanasi Kokkinakis defeated Steve Johnson - the American is #175 in the world but only started playing toward the latter end of 2012, reached the USO 3rd round and winning a Challenger in an incredibly quick amount of time. Huge shock that.

Edit: turns out they got it wrong and it was Johnson who won 17-15 in the 3rd set. Still, very impressive from the 16yo.

Also Jamie Baker is into QR2.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 10, 2013, 10:39 AM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:05 PM »

James Ward beats Boris Pashanski in straight sets to join Jamie Baker in R2. Ward is defending Qualification points here (25 + 10 for the main draw).
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:40 PM »

Also Jamie Baker is into QR2.
Watched by Andy!

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20956200

Baker was watched by a large British contingent on Court 14 that included his good friend Andy Murray, and he saw off Campozano in straight sets.

"I started out pretty well but then I got a little bit tight into the middle of the second set," Baker told BBC Sport. "I've known him since he has a junior; he always fights hard and it became a bit of a dogfight, but it's good to get through.

Asked about the support he received, Baker added: "It's good down here isn't it? A lot of British people, and it got quite loud towards the end, and it always helps, you don't expect it.

"Andy popped in. He actually checked to see if I was alright about him coming out - he could be a bit of a tough critic!"

Good news about James ward too. Hope he does well
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30 PM »

"Andy popped in. He actually checked to see if I was alright about him coming out - he could be a bit of a tough critic!"
I like that bit.  Very considerate of Andy! Very Happy   Good news about Baker and Ward.  Hope they make the main draw. cmon yeah  I've a lot of admiration for Baker - another player who had to fight his way back after a life-threatening illness.

Meanwhile John Isner is another doubtful starter due to a brused bone in hpis right knee -

“I got a decision to make shortly,” the 27-year-old said. “It was a lot better than it was six days ago, but it wasn’t 100 percent. What I have needs time, that’s all it is.”

The six-foot-nine Isner said his knee had been bothering him since December and was hampering his training.

“From now up until Melbourne I definitely can’t practice like I need to,” he said. “I could play. Certainly I could win a match maybe, a match or two. I don’t see myself winning the whole tournament at this point, that’s for sure.”

http://tennis.si.com/2013/01/09/john-isner-australian-open/
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07 PM »

It would be a shame if Isner doesn't play. He had a great year last year and I enjoy watching him play.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Aye.. more like you probably just like his pretty-boy face.  Wink and a kiss
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50 AM »

Couple of British ladies in qualifying today - Anne Keothavong and Johanna Konta.

Good luck ladies crossfingers 

And apologies if I've missed anyone!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53 AM »

I think someone mentioned Tipsy as being a dark horse this AO.

This is one the AO site:-

Tipsarevic happy to fly under radar
Wednesday, 9 January, 2013
By James Hunter-Smith

When people hear the words “tennis” and “Serbia” in the same sentence the most logical reaction is to think of world No.1 Novak Djokovic.

A five-time Grand Slam champion, to immediately cast one's mind to the best player on the planet makes sense.

But often slipping under the radar is fellow Serb and world No.9 Janko Tipsarevic, who proudly represents his country on and off the court.

There are two Serbs sitting inside the men’s top 10 and yet the spotlight seems to be permanently on only one. Is Tipsarevic, 28, fazed to be in Djokovic’s shadow? Well, no shadow exists, he said.

“I’m not even No.1 in New Belgrade which is a part of town where we both live,” Tipsarevic laughed.

“Obviously Novak is the best player in the world and I’m aware of that, but I try not to think that I am in anybody’s shadow.

“There is enough fame, financial satisfaction, recognition for all of us who are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful.”

Tipsarevic has become known for his profound and even philosophical approach to tennis. Always avoiding clichés in his answers, his views on the sport and his own status are rare among the flurry of press conferences and interviews.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2013-01-09/201301091357695440122.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31 AM »

^ I did - and the article I cited from The Sydney Morning Herald has obviously taken its cue from AO one.

However as nobody else has commented, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tipsy makes at least the QF.  As he said in both articles, he woke up about 18 months ago (and I summarise) to the fact that tennis wasn't just a nice side-sport but one which required total commitment and dedication, and that since then his game has improved and the results have started coming.  Also he's happy to be the under-dog and under-dogs often spring surprises.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05 AM »

It would be a shame if Isner doesn't play. He had a great year last year and I enjoy watching him play.

He has withdrawn:-

World No. 13 and top-ranked American John Isner has withdrawn from next week's Australian Open with a knee injury.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Isner-Withdraws-From-Australian-Open.aspx

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 02:40 AM »

He has withdrawn:-

World No. 13 and top-ranked American John Isner has withdrawn from next week's Australian Open with a knee injury.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Isner-Withdraws-From-Australian-Open.aspx
Very unfortunate, but it seems he didn't have much option.  I just hope Nishikori and Monaco make it, otherwise that'll be three top 20 players out, although I realise that would be good news for the lower-ranked players.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Janowicz will do quite well as long as it's not windy!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:56 AM »

Janowicz will do quite well as long as it's not windy!
Not sure he will as once the other players know him they will beat him, a little like other big servers etc. Milos isn't doing all that well now. JJ has lost early of late.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »