Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 13560 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06 AM »

Not the most flattering picture of Fed. And OMG! I just managed to post a picture using my tablet! yay

* Screenshot_2013-01-10-23-02-10-1419384083.png (245.48 KB, 800x480 - viewed 195 times.)
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:36 PM »

Oh dear Bevc, that's truly terrible. Am quite shocked you posted it innocent
 lmao lmao
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10 PM »

^ I did - and the article I cited from The Sydney Morning Herald has obviously taken its cue from AO one.

However as nobody else has commented, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tipsy makes at least the QF.  As he said in both articles, he woke up about 18 months ago (and I summarise) to the fact that tennis wasn't just a nice side-sport but one which required total commitment and dedication, and that since then his game has improved and the results have started coming.  Also he's happy to be the under-dog and under-dogs often spring surprises.

Yes I think he's a good bet to reach the QFs too. It's impressive how much he's improved - especially how he managed to back up his breakthrough season in 2011 by having another successful 2012. He was only points away from reaching the SF at the USO too. The problem for him is that he generally struggles against those ranked above him but he's doing a great job of beating the players he should beat. Hard to imagine that a couple of years ago he hadn't won any titles - he's a changed player now.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Personally I think Tipsy's peaked and will float around 8-9 this year before slipping out of the top 10 before the year is out.

Just a differing opinion. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04 PM »

I thought I'd heard on radio/read somewhere that tipsy was another one out with injury but perhaps I imagined it?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Personally I think Tipsy's peaked and will float around 8-9 this year before slipping out of the top 10 before the year is out.

I think you are right about Tipsy but I still see him going out of top 10 at year-end. Raonic has been consistent if not outstanding, so I see him entering top 10 this year. This will kick out either Tipsy or Gasquet basically whoever fails to stay consistent throughout the year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:49 PM »

I think you are right about Tipsy but I still see him going out of top 10 at year-end. Raonic has been consistent if not outstanding, so I see him entering top 10 this year. This will kick out either Tipsy or Gasquet basically whoever fails to stay consistent throughout the year.
Not to mention Nishikori, who if he stays injury free, could definitely challenge the top 10. I agree about Raonic though, Brisbane aside he tends to be quite consistent and often runs the top guys close. I feel it's only a matter of time before he finally records a win over Federer or Djokovic.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Nishi is very top 10 material so I agree. If not now at least in the near future.

I also see a few moving up like Cilic, Nishi, Querrey perhaps, Dimitrov, Janowicz, Paire (his rise is very gradual though), Klizan, Tomic, Harrison etc. Some say Fognini is due for a move up. Perhaps Goffin too. 

There will be some new ones as well - those are the unknowns - very hard to guess.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25 PM »

I agree about Raonic though, Brisbane aside he tends to be quite consistent and often runs the top guys close. I feel it's only a matter of time before he finally records a win over Federer or Djokovic.
I can definitely see a win over Fed on the horizon.
But Nole?.. You think? 

Milos' movement is like the original game of Pong compared to Nole on ice skates.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38 PM »

Nishi is very top 10 material so I agree. If not now at least in the near future.

I also see a few moving up like Cilic, Nishi, Querrey perhaps, Dimitrov, Janowicz, Paire (his rise is very gradual though), Klizan, Tomic, Harrison etc. Some say Fognini is due for a move up. Perhaps Goffin too. 

There will be some new ones as well - those are the unknowns - very hard to guess.
Fognini is easily top 30 material and would be if not for missing a large part of the beginning of the season last year. Cilic likewise (in terms of missing a large patch), forgot about him. Both players misses the AO last year I believe.

Klizan is a bit inconsistent, mentally a bit weak, as proven by some of his chokes last season (four Championship points in a Challenger tie-break, lost seven of the next eight points). I do like him though, really hope he can continue to improve. He's defending a lot of points around the USO though so needs a strong first half of this year.

It will certainly be interesting to see who the next players are to crack the top 20. In this day and age it tends to be older players (like Tipsarevic and Kohly) who really push on from the 40's and 50's, or players on injury comebacks (Monfils will surely be back in the top 20/15 if he stays injury free). Younger players like Tomic, Harrison and Dimitrov seem to stall, often showing flashes but struggling for consistency. All three have had good starts to this year though (semi-final, quarter-final + first top 15 win, final).

I'm really looking forward to see how Janowicz fares this year. I still hold the opinion that he's out of position due to the somewhat farcical Paris Masters, although his talent is not deniable. I think most players inside the top 40 could beat him, especially outdoors. Will be interesting to see if he can really live up to his new ranking though or if he does struggle a little bit.

I can definitely see a win over Fed on the horizon.
But Nole?.. You think? 

Milos' movement is like the original game of Pong compared to Nole on ice skates.
Same could be said of Andy, and Raonic has beaten him twice. When his serve is on song it can frustrate the likes of Andy and Djokovic, more so Andy though I think. Djokovic is much more consistent but Raonic could definitely take him on an off day.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 10, 2013, 09:42 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52 PM »

Same could be said of Andy, and Raonic has beaten him twice. When his serve is on song it can frustrate the likes of Andy and Djokovic, more so Andy though I think. Djokovic is much more consistent but Raonic could definitely take him on an off day.
True, but Nole usually tends to come out of the gate running, whereas Andy tends to be a bit slower off the pace and creates hurdles to jump.
I agree tho' that Milos can take anyone out on anyone's 'off' day, but it would be a major upset at a Slam imho.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05 PM »

True, but Nole usually tends to come out of the gate running, whereas Andy tends to be a bit slower off the pace and creates hurdles to jump.
I agree tho' that Milos can take anyone out on anyone's 'off' day, but it would be a major upset at a Slam imho.

Oh yeah, I was more thinking of a Masters.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21 AM »

Tipsy has Hewitt in the 1st round I believe - that's a night match for sure!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 12:22 AM »

Tipsy has Hewitt in the 1st round I believe - that's a night match for sure!
Definitely! Hewitt has a habit of having long 5 set matches too - could be a really fun match!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 01:06 AM »

I see Fed could possibly have Raonic in the later stages, that could be tricky for him
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »