Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Australian Open 2013 - the other players  (Read 11999 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 02:15 AM »

Fognini is easily top 30 material and would be if not for missing a large part of the beginning of the season last year. Cilic likewise (in terms of missing a large patch), forgot about him. Both players misses the AO last year I believe.

Klizan is a bit inconsistent, mentally a bit weak, as proven by some of his chokes last season (four Championship points in a Challenger tie-break, lost seven of the next eight points). I do like him though, really hope he can continue to improve. He's defending a lot of points around the USO though so needs a strong first half of this year.

It will certainly be interesting to see who the next players are to crack the top 20. In this day and age it tends to be older players (like Tipsarevic and Kohly) who really push on from the 40's and 50's, or players on injury comebacks (Monfils will surely be back in the top 20/15 if he stays injury free). Younger players like Tomic, Harrison and Dimitrov seem to stall, often showing flashes but struggling for consistency. All three have had good starts to this year though (semi-final, quarter-final + first top 15 win, final).

I'm really looking forward to see how Janowicz fares this year. I still hold the opinion that he's out of position due to the somewhat farcical Paris Masters, although his talent is not deniable. I think most players inside the top 40 could beat him, especially outdoors. Will be interesting to see if he can really live up to his new ranking though or if he does struggle a little bit.

I don't blame these players if they are not consistent enough or mentally weak. The top is so strong these days that it doesn't leave much hope for the young ones. Or perhaps they are just not good enough. Because Sampras had it really tough initially; in fact, it is said that the 80s were the golden eras of tennis and the field was crowded with legends and yet, Sampras didn't waste any time to make his own place as soon as he got into the picture. Of course the field opened up later on but he made his mark long before and left no doubt. That's when and why I wonder if the likes of Tomic, Harrison, Dimitrov, Raonic  have any real potential or they are simply just hyped up. Raonic is, of course, leading the race with the most potential but I don't think he's made as big a noise as it had been made out at first.

Now the 2nd sets of players like Klizan, Janowicz or even Rosol could just be a fluke but I do hope they do consistently well in their career.

You are right about older generation putting out more consistent results foward these days or peaking up than the younger ones, but it does take some time to build up that momentum. Also, it's more than likely that we will see 2/3 brand new players coming into terms even if they are not from this generation. Andy took some time to win his first Major but both Nole and Andy were consistent enough to be in the top ten almost immediately. So my guess is the current bunch is not as good as the top bunch to begin with.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18 AM »

True, but Nole usually tends to come out of the gate running, whereas Andy tends to be a bit slower off the pace and creates hurdles to jump.
I agree tho' that Milos can take anyone out on anyone's 'off' day, but it would be a major upset at a Slam imho.

They have yet to play each other so it's hard to comment but Nole typically struggles slightly against big servers especially if they are very consistent. Even so, Nole is most likely to win their first meeting or even a few. Raonic needs to get used to Nole before he can command a win over Nole. Raonic is very mental so he'll be very nervous against Noel and that will hamper his main strength - his serve. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 03:18 AM »

Jamie Baker has just taken out the 17th seed Viola 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 to reach the final round of Qualifying, where he faces Donald Young.

Jamie beat Young 6-4, 6-1 in Eastbourne last year.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13 AM »

Oh dear, Fed has quite a tough draw, shocking, poor chap what a shame innocent
NOT
 Fingers and tongue.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40 AM »

James Ward also through to final round qualifying.

Beat ex-world no 45 Mischa Zverev WR 159 67(1) 64 64

Will play Julian Reister WR 296 (CH 92 in 2011)
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09 PM »

How strange that Miillman plays Ito again! Third time in two months.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01 PM »

James Ward also through to final round qualifying.

Beat ex-world no 45 Mischa Zverev WR 159 67(1) 64 64

Will play Julian Reister WR 296 (CH 92 in 2011)
That's a great result for James.

Both British boys scraped into the draw on ranking but now both have made the last 32 of Qualifying, good stuff.

I worry more about matches against lower ranked players than higher ranked ones though. At his level most players seem to fare better as underdogs.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Kevin Mitchell much of a fan of Fed, you think? lmao

Australian Open brings chance to worship at Church of Roger Federer

..In an age of two-fisted conformity, Federer has never compromised his inclination to adorn tennis with the unique skills that separate him from his peers. As irrelevant as sport might appear alongside more profound human endeavours, he consistently brings such powerful grandeur to his work as to raise it above the mundane, painting wondrous arcs in the air, his feet winged and his racket an extension of his subtle intentions. There is no lovelier sight in tennis than Federer twisting late on his toes to plant a cross-court howitzer an inch inside the line – except maybe when he does it down the line with his glorious, single-levered backhand, an antique to be treasured.

..We should savour his gifts as long as he sees fit to dispense them. In the end, his tennis, as much as his glow of smiling flawlessness, is what should matter about the man.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/11/church-of-roger-federer-australian-open
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 06:16 PM »

^ OMG!  shocking  doh
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 12:57 AM »

Not sure he will as once the other players know him they will beat him, a little like other big servers etc. Milos isn't doing all that well now. JJ has lost early of late.

JJ has only lost in Auckland where the windy conditions affected his game, he relies on big powerful ground strokes and the wind really didn't allow him to do that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23 AM »

Kevin Mitchell much of a fan of Fed, you think? lmao

Australian Open brings chance to worship at Church of Roger Federer

..In an age of two-fisted conformity, Federer has never compromised his inclination to adorn tennis with the unique skills that separate him from his peers. As irrelevant as sport might appear alongside more profound human endeavours, he consistently brings such powerful grandeur to his work as to raise it above the mundane, painting wondrous arcs in the air, his feet winged and his racket an extension of his subtle intentions. There is no lovelier sight in tennis than Federer twisting late on his toes to plant a cross-court howitzer an inch inside the line – except maybe when he does it down the line with his glorious, single-levered backhand, an antique to be treasured.

..We should savour his gifts as long as he sees fit to dispense them. In the end, his tennis, as much as his glow of smiling flawlessness, is what should matter about the man.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/11/church-of-roger-federer-australian-open
roflmao

I read the whole article with growing incredulity.  Whatever Kevin Mitchell is on, I want some of it! Very Happy

And as for RF's biographer, Rene Stauffer - "He is modest, unpretentious, loyal, well-balanced, dependable and sympathetic.  Has anybody ever found Roger Federer to be unpleasant, a braggart, an arrogant snob?" Rolling Eyes

Interesting though that Mitchell claims that "at least one player in the locker room knows who PseudoFed is."  If that's true then I hope they continue to keep that knowledge to themselves.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 03:49 AM »

roflmao

I read the whole article with growing incredulity.  Whatever Kevin Mitchell is on, I want some of it! Very Happy

And as for RF's biographer, Rene Stauffer - "He is modest, unpretentious, loyal, well-balanced, dependable and sympathetic.  Has anybody ever found Roger Federer to be unpleasant, a braggart, an arrogant snob?" Rolling Eyes

Interesting though that Mitchell claims that "at least one player in the locker room knows who PseudoFed is."  If that's true then I hope they continue to keep that knowledge to themselves.

Kevin Mitchell is actually one of the few tennis journalists to consistently take issue with the sycophancy displayed towards Federer and gets crucified on the Guardian comment sections by Fedtards for it. I suspect he's taking the piss here.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 04:01 AM »

Ferrer's preperations for the AO are on track - he's just taken the title in Auckland for the 4th consecutive year. He won 7-6 6-1 despite being a break down in the first set. I'm guessing that the Spanish that was being banded about during that first set was a tad colourful. blush
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 04:04 AM »

Kevin Mitchell is actually one of the few tennis journalists to consistently take issue with the sycophancy displayed towards Federer and gets crucified on the Guardian comment sections by Fedtards for it. I suspect he's taking the piss here.
I didn't know that.  It would certainly explain the OTT tone of that article.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 05:43 AM »

Jamie Baker and James Ward currently on court. Jamie won 1st set but is down in the 2nd. James lost the 1st set but its even stevens in the 2nd.

cmon GB
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »