Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 12522 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 06:28 AM »

Mixed fortunes in the qualifier - Jamiie Baker won 6-4 1-6 6-3 James Ward lost 3-6 5-7 so yay to Jamie and hug to James.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23 AM »

Hooray for James B yay.
That time in Miami with Andy has paid off. (Hope I'm right and he did go, otherwise Embarassed)
[ Last edit by blueberryhill January 12, 2013, 08:02 AM ] IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 08:03 AM »

I read the article in the Guardian always thinking if it was irony? Otherwise I cannot explain to myself how a whole article can overflow with words hard to bear. Of course, there are restrictions to his flawless character mentioned here and there.  When Fed's biographer was cited, I had a decent laugh. It makes clear that there exist differences between serious (sports) writers and mere worshippers. Btw, I don't mind when Fed's achievements are praised, but for me it is the tone that makes the music, which is here over the top. Or have I misunderstood things as I am not a native speaker?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31 AM »

^ I thought the aricle was weird tbh. One moment critical, the next a positive rhapsody to Fed. Almost in two halves. Was wondering if Kev had been told to tone it down.
Editorial input?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49 AM »

not read full article yet as in my paper to read later but I think like many of us Kev appreciates the beauty of smugfed's tennis but he's one of the few comms who has not been taken in by the saint fed persona and he quite often makes a little dig to that effect.  I think he mentions his increasing tetchiness.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 11:26 AM »

Kevin Mitchell is actually one of the few tennis journalists to consistently take issue with the sycophancy displayed towards Federer and gets crucified on the Guardian comment sections by Fedtards for it. I suspect he's taking the piss here.

^^
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Anyway fantastic result for Jamie - that's the second time he's beaten Young in 8 months. Also as this is the first AO he's played in since qualifying in 2008 he's now on a 6 game winning run in qualies there.

Shame about Ward but he consistently struggles against the much older, experienced lower ranked players.

Baker draws Rosol in R1.

DavidLawā€¸@DavidLawTennis
Quality celebration from Baker as he sea match point with a Donald Young Forehand long. Baker threw racquet into air. Roared. Great.

Looks like his racquet is floating.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 12, 2013, 11:38 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02 PM »

@ TMH of course, James Ward made it last year, had quite forgot Rolling Eyes
Must've made an early exit.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Brilliant win for Jamie, brilliant to hear about Andy constantly asking the results during his pressers, and brilliant to hear about the hug he gave him after.

As to Kevin Mitchell article: Now that Joe and MH have pointed out his usual lack of sycophancy, it makes more sense.

Is Kevin Mitchell 'PseudoFed,' I wonder? Think
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34 PM »

@ TMH of course, James Ward made it last year, had quite forgot Rolling Eyes
Must've made an early exit.
Lost to Kavcic in R1, put a decent fight though.

Both Jamie and James are ranked well below the guys in the main draw (although James is only down so low because of injury) so it's expected.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05 PM »

Is Baker going to do a Rosol to Rosol?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Ferrer's preperations for the AO are on track - he's just taken the title in Auckland for the 4th consecutive year. He won 7-6 6-1 despite being a break down in the first set. I'm guessing that the Spanish that was being banded about during that first set was a tad colourful. blush

Only reason he's won Auckland for the 4th year in a row is because it's always a weak field.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Brilliant win for Jamie, brilliant to hear about Andy constantly asking the results during his pressers, and brilliant to hear about the hug he gave him after.

As to Kevin Mitchell article: Now that Joe and MH have pointed out his usual lack of sycophancy, it makes more sense.

Is Kevin Mitchell 'PseudoFed,' I wonder? Think
I'd love to think he was but doubt it somehow.  But if it were one of the tennis correspondents it would be him.  He has a wicked sense of humour and sees through the fed aura.  w00t
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 04:51 PM »

Great win for Jamie, shame about Ward (I'm really intrigued by him - grew up near where I live, would love to know how he got into tennis)

Nice tweet from Judy: Separated at birth. Jamie Baker and the Cheshire Cat.

Not sure if it's posted elsewhere, but Colin playing with Jamie at AO. Great win for him and Soares in Auckland too. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #59 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Is Baker going to do a Rosol to Rosol?
What's a 'Rosol' exactly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »