Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 13122 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Only reason he's won Auckland for the 4th year in a row is because it's always a weak field.
And he's incredibly consistent.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 04:59 PM »

And he's incredibly consistent.
Sure, but he will never win a tournament that has a strong field.

What's a 'Rosol' exactly.

Beating a higher ranked opponent that is expected to beat you easily.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Beating a higher ranked opponent that is expected to beat you easily.
He will more often than not if he's the highest ranked in it.

Rarely beats the top four, rarely loses to anyone else, at least for the first 2/3 of the season.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 06:34 PM »

He will more often than not if he's the highest ranked in it.

Rarely beats the top four, rarely loses to anyone else, at least for the first 2/3 of the season.

Have you seen the amount of tournaments he enters to sustain a high ranking though?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Excellent for Jamie Baker. Two Scots in the main draw of the mens singles, fantastic stuff.

James Ward just missed out too, must be tough to lose a Q3 match.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Brilliant win for Jamie, brilliant to hear about Andy constantly asking the results during his pressers, and brilliant to hear about the hug he gave him after.

As to Kevin Mitchell article: Now that Joe and MH have pointed out his usual lack of sycophancy, it makes more sense.

Is Kevin Mitchell 'PseudoFed,' I wonder? Think
just read the full article. He actually refers to pseudofed and his wit so I'd be surprised if it was Kev himself unless an elaborate bluff.  He also says at least one player in the locker room knows who pseuodfed is, which suggests it is someone who is part of that world.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18 PM »

He can only play who's in front of him.  

I see that Tomic won in Sydney and did I also hear that Hewitt won vs  Del Potro?

I should have added that Hewitt vs Tipsy is one of the night matches on Monday - I feel for the ladies playing after as it could be a long nite.
[ Last edit by Bevc January 12, 2013, 07:53 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 08:02 PM »

On a side note, I see that yellow is the in kit colour this year. Eyebrow raise. I am getting more used to it the more I see players in it - Colin Fleming, Jamie Baker, Kevin Anderson, David Ferrer I saw on Saturday.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11 PM »

On a side note, I see that yellow is the in kit colour this year. Eyebrow raise. I am getting more used to it the more I see players in it - Colin Fleming, Jamie Baker, Kevin Anderson, David Ferrer I saw on Saturday.

Serena, Sharapova, Li Na, Wozniacki, Murray, Hantuchova and all the adidas/nike boys and girls are wearing it.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59 PM »

...which does not make it a more pleasant colour. It simply does not suit everybody, at least not Andy. Yet, I am more than happy that Kim has obviously not packed in the awfully yellow shorts for the trip down under. A lot of us remember with shudder the sight at the O2. He must have learnt from the overall reaction and seems to prefer the black ones.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50 PM »

Hey everyone! Just a heads up, the Read The Round thread for day 1 is up if you want to take part.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/read-the-round/rtr-ao-2013-day-1/msg825322/#new
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51 PM »

Have you seen the amount of tournaments he enters to sustain a high ranking though?
Only six of them count. He doesn't gain any unfair advantage by playing loads, assuming the guys around him have all played least six 250/500's (and if they haven't that's their problem).

He's 5th in the world on merit, reaching the SFs of RG and the USO and the QFs of the AO and Wimbledon. Regularly beats Del Potro, beat Murray at Roland Garros, beat Tipsarevic at the USO. He's very consistent against everyone ranked below him and rarely ever beats any of the top 4 (I think Murray on the clay is the only exception).
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 12, 2013, 11:55 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 12:29 AM »

The last set of Baker and Young if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsASFSxrwg#t=4h10m25s

4:10:25s.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 13, 2013, 12:48 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57 AM »

DavidLawā€¸@DavidLawTennis
Quality celebration from Baker as he sea match point with a Donald Young Forehand long. Baker threw racquet into air. Roared. Great.

Looks like his racquet is floating.
So pleased for him, but really sorry for Ward.  Looks like Jamie's learnt more from Andy than just tennis!

The last set of Baker and Young if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsASFSxrwg#t=4h10m25s

4:10:25s.
Thanks. Smile

Don't understand why all the bright canary yellow though.  The colour's OK in small amounts but this is OTT and certainly doesn't suit everyone.  I wonder if PF will have anything to say about it.  No doubt it'll be a #conspiracy of some kind!

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #74 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10 AM »

Serena, Sharapova, Li Na, Wozniacki, Murray, Hantuchova and all the adidas/nike boys and girls are wearing it.

Whoa, that is too many people....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »