Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 15436 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #750 on: January 20, 2013, 03:29 PM »

70% of all percentage figures used in an argument are made up.
So thats a borderline accurate statement then.....
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #751 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36 PM »

Well, what a match that was. I must admit I feel much more sorry for Stan than I feel pleased for Djokovic at the moment. In fact I think Djokovic deserves a right slap for all that shirt ripping nonsense. Personally even I'm getting sick of it now. Wawrinka had played the match of his life there, fought with Djokovic (and cramps towards the end) for five hours and was almost in tears at the end, and then Djokovic goes and virtually corners the market in gracelessness. I know some would argue that sort of thing is what has probably helped him to the top, but still. It's almost indecent and incredibly crass.

The one thing (apart from hopefully Djokovic being knackered) that I do hope comes out of this is maybe Djokovic will lose some of his cockiness. I've noticed a couple of times this tournament that he has said things in interviews that almost come across like he thinks he has the tournament in the bag already. Well, he hasn't. Also, I said after the match with Harrison, who didn't choke as such, but looked every inch the relatively inexperienced player that he is and did look scared out there (not the same as choking if you ask me), Djokovic was almost smirking as he took the youngster apart. It was unbecoming to say the least.

It will be interesting to see if this does have any bearing on Djokovic later. In a sense if that had been a semi I would say not. I know that sounds mad, because there isn't much time to recover between a semi and a final, but I think if you are pushed hard in a semi maybe the knowledge of knowing there is a final ahead, or to put it another way, just one match, is enough to carry you through. However, that was the fourth round. If Berdych and Ferrer can just keep him out there a while in the quarters and semi's he will have spent quite a bit of time in total on court by the time the final comes round. If the final opponent is Andy, and yes, I know, we can't say it will be for sure, we all know how long their recent encounters have been, which could very well have a bearing. I have to be brutally honest, because there is no point in telling lies. I hope Berdych and Ferrer push like hell, and Andy continues to play efficient tennis to get through as quickly as possible. Then, of course, Andy needs to send Federer on his way. Should Andy and Djokovic meet in the final I hope Andy pushes him all over the court like he did at the USO, because if he can you would surely have to like his chances the longer the match goes.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #752 on: January 20, 2013, 03:38 PM »

That's quite surprising coming from a Christian....

Not really, I'm a Christian, but I suppose you would never know from the way my language becomes colourful when I'm either watching tennis or made very, very angry, usually in defence of other people.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #753 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49 PM »

Stan played well and gave Nole a hard match. I was impressed by Stan who gave his all. He was brilliant in the first set and Nole had no answer to him. He played well I am sorry that he lost. Yes and Nole does go over the top all that chest punching an yelling.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #754 on: January 20, 2013, 03:53 PM »

Don't worry TeeJay, I'm sure over the next few years that Andy will show Novak quite a few times who's top man. Novak is a showman (perhaps show off would be a better word) and Andy would rather keep out of the limelight, therefore Novak is popular and Andy is called 'dour' - except by those who know him best that is. Over time though he will show his worth and has already found much support especially following his tearful reaction to losing to Fed after Wimby, then of course he won the Olympic Gold. He and Novak are good friends in fact friendship is an important thing that Andy has with quite a few of those on tour and that says a great deal for Andy. I rarely read anything about Andy that doesn't increase my liking for him - he's a special human being.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #755 on: January 20, 2013, 03:58 PM »

So thats a borderline accurate statement then.....

He's typically 30% right when he makes those statements.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #756 on: January 20, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Well, what a match that was. I must admit I feel much more sorry for Stan than I feel pleased for Djokovic at the moment. In fact I think Djokovic deserves a right slap for all that shirt ripping nonsense. Personally even I'm getting sick of it now. Wawrinka had played the match of his life there, fought with Djokovic (and cramps towards the end) for five hours and was almost in tears at the end, and then Djokovic goes and virtually corners the market in gracelessness. I know some would argue that sort of thing is what has probably helped him to the top, but still. It's almost indecent and incredibly crass.

The one thing (apart from hopefully Djokovic being knackered) that I do hope comes out of this is maybe Djokovic will lose some of his cockiness. I've noticed a couple of times this tournament that he has said things in interviews that almost come across like he thinks he has the tournament in the bag already. Well, he hasn't. Also, I said after the match with Harrison, who didn't choke as such, but looked every inch the relatively inexperienced player that he is and did look scared out there (not the same as choking if you ask me), Djokovic was almost smirking as he took the youngster apart. It was unbecoming to say the least.

It will be interesting to see if this does have any bearing on Djokovic later. In a sense if that had been a semi I would say not. I know that sounds mad, because there isn't much time to recover between a semi and a final, but I think if you are pushed hard in a semi maybe the knowledge of knowing there is a final ahead, or to put it another way, just one match, is enough to carry you through. However, that was the fourth round. If Berdych and Ferrer can just keep him out there a while in the quarters and semi's he will have spent quite a bit of time in total on court by the time the final comes round. If the final opponent is Andy, and yes, I know, we can't say it will be for sure, we all know how long their recent encounters have been, which could very well have a bearing. I have to be brutally honest, because there is no point in telling lies. I hope Berdych and Ferrer push like hell, and Andy continues to play efficient tennis to get through as quickly as possible. Then, of course, Andy needs to send Federer on his way. Should Andy and Djokovic meet in the final I hope Andy pushes him all over the court like he did at the USO, because if he can you would surely have to like his chances the longer the match goes.

With this match tonight, Nole's path to the final has suddenly looking much tougher. First Berdych and then Ferrer. Both can do further considerable damages to his overall physical fitness.

Hope Raonic is up for it tonight.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #757 on: January 20, 2013, 04:08 PM »

like tj I can't stand nole's shirt-ripping histrionics.  But he did give a good interview afterwards and I liked what he said about how stan should have been a winner too and he acknowledged that stan was the aggressor.  Don't like Stan for various reasons but was v impressed with both his game and spirit today.  If anyone can survive that and come out fighting against birdy it's nole (or Rafa) whereas I think had Stan won he'd have lost to birdy.
Btw did anyone else notice how in that CNN quick question clip, birdy was the only one to say 'me' to one of the 'who is the best' questions?  I think it was the best forehand.  And he said it with a completely straight face.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #758 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16 PM »

like tj I can't stand nole's shirt-ripping histrionics.  But he did give a good interview afterwards and I liked what he said about how stan should have been a winner too and he acknowledged that stan was the aggressor.  Don't like Stan for various reasons but was v impressed with both his game and spirit today.  If anyone can survive that and come out fighting against birdy it's nole (or Rafa) whereas I think had Stan won he'd have lost to birdy.
Btw did anyone else notice how in that CNN quick question clip, birdy was the only one to say 'me' to one of the 'who is the best' questions?  I think it was the best forehand.  And he said it with a completely straight face.

No, he smiled when he said that, Ruthie but the joke is lost on many people.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #759 on: January 20, 2013, 04:45 PM »

Yes Berdych loves himself to bits. Tells you a bit about his character.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #760 on: January 20, 2013, 05:02 PM »

I really don't like this guy. His celebration was so over the top again. This wasn't even the final...  Rolling Eyes

I'm sad Stan lost, especially since he actually won a BP at 4-4 in the fifth that was called out and the umpire told him not to challenge. Everything could have changed in that moment. But it is what it is... This showed us again that we are not to underestimate the opposition (or paint anyone into the final or semi), no matter what the H2H might suggest. All Top 100 players are capable of playing great Tennis on their day.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #761 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17 PM »

I guess many people are sad that Stan lost the match (me too) in the ned and I guess Nole's celebration right after just added salt to existing wounds. It didn't bother me too much to be honest. I did feel a great deal for Stan and for the first time. I am typically very neutral about him. At times, I didn't even like him.

His performance against Nole last night won't go unnoticed I am sure. It was good to catch Nole off guard for once. Rosol took Nadal out in the end and made history though he ranked 100 at that time and it was far more remarkable, but I thought Nadal took him too lightly there too. Paid the big price in the end.

Nole got too comfy with Wawrinka. I guess when you beat a guy so many times, it doesn't require as much attention or preparation but your fate must be laughing at you when you thought that.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #762 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I really don't like this guy. His celebration was so over the top again. This wasn't even the final...  Rolling Eyes

I'm sad Stan lost, especially since he actually won a BP at 4-4 in the fifth that was called out and the umpire told him not to challenge. Everything could have changed in that moment. But it is what it is... This showed us again that we are not to underestimate the opposition (or paint anyone into the final or semi), no matter what the H2H might suggest. All Top 100 players are capable of playing great Tennis on their day.

He can celebrate how he likes... I would after a match like that. Tennis isn't a gentleman's game any more. Besides, have you seen how humble he is in loss? (see US Open final.)
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #763 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Also, glad Nole won in the end. Like I said, I'd prefer Murray - Nole final than Murray - Ferrer/Tsonga/Berdych where it would probably be totally lopsided.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #764 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33 PM »

Lopsided I can live with! As long as it's in Andy's favour. He's overdue a slam final as strong favourite.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »