Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 13250 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #765 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Also, glad Nole won in the end. Like I said, I'd prefer Murray - Nole final than Murray - Ferrer/Tsonga/Berdych where it would probably be totally lopsided.

I could handle lopsided quite well I think lol.

Seriously though, I take your point, and I'm sure the finger pointers would have a field day if Andy went into the final with someone such as Tsonga or Ferrer and went on to win. They would find fault and put down the achievement. However, Tsonga, Ferrer and Berdych have all given Andy matches at times, so whilst Andy would be clear favourite, there could still be enough drama to make things interesting - and as long as Andy won I wouldn't really care what anyone thought.

If it was to happen it would also balance out, to a degree, Andy having to win his first by beating a multi slam winner, when the other three had to beat players who had also never won one to get their first.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #766 on: January 20, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Great match but if our Andy lost as Wawrinka did with all those chances, he would have been called a loser so at the end of the day Wawrinka is a loser...moving on.....
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #767 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45 PM »

@ silverlining
I think the match was lost in the second set when Stan served for it and couldn't find a first serve to save his life.
That kind of typifies him for me- so near and yet so far.
Agreeing with robbie, I guess.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #768 on: January 20, 2013, 05:51 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=504814339571422&set=a.161904970529029.46755.161367337249459&type=1&theater
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #769 on: January 20, 2013, 06:16 PM »

Apologises for the shirt ripping... what a guy.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #770 on: January 20, 2013, 06:17 PM »

Great match but if our Andy lost as Wawrinka did with all those chances, he would have been called a loser so at the end of the day Wawrinka is a loser...moving on.....
  Technically you are correct. Otherwise you are quite wrong.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #771 on: January 20, 2013, 07:02 PM »

He can celebrate how he likes... I would after a match like that. Tennis isn't a gentleman's game any more. Besides, have you seen how humble he is in loss? (see US Open final.)

Yeah, not buying it, sorry. He comes across as fake to me, I can't help it. Everybody here bashes Fed 24/7 and if I was given the choice I'd choose him over Djokovic any day of the week. And I don't even like Fed. Cheers!

@ silverlining
I think the match was lost in the second set when Stan served for it and couldn't find a first serve to save his life.
That kind of typifies him for me- so near and yet so far.
Agreeing with robbie, I guess.

He would have been serving for the match though. So you never know what might have happened. But I agree that he shouldn't have choked the 2nd and won in 4...
[ Last edit by silver lining February 23, 2013, 06:54 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #772 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Woah.. just caught up on all the matches.

EPIC Nole/Stanny match!
Stan stepped up to the plate, best match I've ever seen him play. Even Nole said at the end it could have gone either way.

I'd like to thank Stanley for tiring out Nole.. but then I remember this is Novak Djokovic who can rise from the land of the dead.
Sad to see Stan in tears and pain in the end, but well done. I'm sure he's won some new fans.

Also watched:

Berdy/Anderson.. Decent fight from Anderson.
Berdych could be in with his best chance to win against Nole now considering he's been winning in straight sets and is fresh.

Amalgro/Tipsy.. I'd tipped Amalgro to win, but sorry to see Tipsy retire with an injury.

Ferrer/Nishi.. Was hoping for more of a fight from Nishi, but result was expected.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #773 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17 PM »

I don't think Nole's celebrations are personal. He just loves to compliment his own performance after a hard fought match. lol. He's always very kind to his opponents even when he loses those tight matches.
True about being very gracious in a loss - witness his slam losses at the USO to Rafa and Andy. He was happy for his opponents both times. And he's very exuberant in a win on the other side. I get the sense it's cathartic. I wouldn't mind if he saved it for off-camera but I just don't think it's meant to be rude; it's not thought about. He just lets it all out.

Anyhow, a good win for Novak; hard to say if he can get past Berdych though. And what a fight and beautiful play from Stan too. Roller-coaster match!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #774 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Yeah, not buying it, sorry. I think he's as fake as it gets. And ripping your shirt off and screaming like an ape is not classy at all. Besides, you are rooting for him to win the title, aren't you? So, you're obviously a fan. I'm not, it's as simple as that. Everybody here bashes Fed 24/7 and if I was given the choice I'd choose him over Djokovic any day of the week. And I don't even like Fed. Cheers!

He would have been serving for the match though. So you never know what might have happened. But I agree that he shouldn't have choked the 2nd and won in 4...
He didn't win the point, Djokovic actually got the ball back deep. The call was wrong (an abysmal call in the circumstances, it wasn't like the ball only grazed the line, the majority of it was on the line!) but it would only have resulted in replaying the point (and Djokovic getting his first serve back).

I'm not a Djokovic fan per se (was rooting for Stan earlier) but I don't think there's anything wrong with him or his celebrations at all. Some people on here seem desperate to hate all of Andy's rivals - why? Don't let us turn into bitter Federer fans please, failing to give any credit to anyone else and finding every little fault possible.

Djokovic is probably the best sport I've seen on tour and will always greet his opponent after a defeat. The shirt ripping thing is a bit over the top but each to their own. Just because you're annoyed at him winning, there is no need to rip into someone for their immediate celebration at victory - especially in such an emotional match. The same happened when Janowicz beat Andy, and Chardy, and Mahut. People are bitter at the defeat and unnecessarily attack the opposing player for daring to celebrate.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #775 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Yeah, not buying it, sorry. I think he's as fake as it gets. And ripping your shirt off and screaming like an ape is not classy at all. Besides, you are rooting for him to win the title, aren't you? So, you're obviously a fan. I'm not, it's as simple as that. Everybody here bashes Fed 24/7 and if I was given the choice I'd choose him over Djokovic any day of the week. And I don't even like Fed. Cheers!

I'm fine with Djokovic/Murray winning...

each to their own.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #776 on: January 20, 2013, 07:39 PM »

IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #777 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47 PM »

He did get it back, but I think it only just dropped over the net. Either way, there would've been a replay and not Deuce. So Stan would have still had BP.

I don't hate Andy's rivals, quite the opposite, actually. I'm a big Nadal fan and Andy's H2H against him is by far the worst. I just can't help but feel that Djokovic is insincere though and that's just the feeling I get and it has nothing to do with Andy. I never liked him and that's not about to change. I'm not even suggesting that I'm objective or anything, just honest.

I wouldn't say I'm bitter either. I have nothing against anyone else on tour. Sure, there are some players whose game I don't appreciate etc, but nothing personal at all.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #778 on: January 20, 2013, 08:09 PM »

He did get it back, but I think it only just dropped over the net. Either way, there would've been a replay and not Deuce. So Stan would have still had BP.

I don't hate Andy's rivals, quite the opposite, actually. I'm a big Nadal fan and Andy's H2H against him is by far the worst. I just can't help but feel that Djokovic is insincere though and that's just the feeling I get and it has nothing to do with Andy. I never liked him and that's not about to change. I'm not even suggesting that I'm objective or anything, just honest.

I wouldn't say I'm bitter either. I have nothing against anyone else on tour. Sure, there are some players whose game I don't appreciate etc, but nothing personal at all.

You don't sound bitter to me. I respect your opinion.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #779 on: January 20, 2013, 08:17 PM »

True about being very gracious in a loss - witness his slam losses at the USO to Rafa and Andy. He was happy for his opponents both times. And he's very exuberant in a win on the other side. I get the sense it's cathartic. I wouldn't mind if he saved it for off-camera but I just don't think it's meant to be rude; it's not thought about. He just lets it all out.

Anyhow, a good win for Novak; hard to say if he can get past Berdych though. And what a fight and beautiful play from Stan too. Roller-coaster match!

I have no doubt about Nole's intentions; I've known him long enough to know this but after a match like this, when the emotions are running really high with a lot of fans, it's probably best for Nole to keep the celebrations more in check. In fact, it makes you more likeable so maybe he wants to think about that. Sharapova's celebration after the win over Venus looked more vindictive and she can be. Nole I know is a great person and has a big heart to be vindictive.

Not sure about the match against Berdych. Will just wait and see how it all unfolds.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »