Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Australian Open 2013 - the other players  (Read 12016 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #840 on: January 21, 2013, 02:15 PM »

On the bbc's "As it happened" some journalists (?) praised Fed's game, which is of course nothing new. They found him more convincing than Andy or Nole, as he saw off these young guns in fine fashion. They think these wins give him an advantage over his opponents in the SF or F. Am I blind to Fed's magic as I am an Andy fan or is there something in it?

The thing is though, according to most journalists Fed is 'the greatest' anyway, so isn't he supposed to roll over opponents?

We'll see what Fed is like with some real competition.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #841 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11 PM »

On the bbc's "As it happened" some journalists (?) praised Fed's game, which is of course nothing new. They found him more convincing than Andy or Nole, as he saw off these young guns in fine fashion. They think these wins give him an advantage over his opponents in the SF or F. Am I blind to Fed's magic as I am an Andy fan or is there something in it?

Truth of the matter is, Nadal, Nole and Andy would have all put these new comers away just as easily. Remember Andy's match vs Raonic at the US Open. Andy was magnificent we all know (and Nadal has two very comfortable win over Raonic both on hard courts but outside GS however; they have yet to meet in a GS environment) but of course, when Federer does it, it's something of another matter. That’s why Federer needs to retire because otherwise all these clowns will be blinded by their love for Federer and will forget that, what they suggest is not the only fact in life. I am incredibly interested in seeing Federer’s retirement, because I want to see what happens and how many of his ‘fans’ stick around after his retirement. This will most certainly show the number the genuine fans of this sport as well. Both Agassi and Sampras brought a lot of new fans to the sport and so did McEnroe, Borg, Connors, Lendl etc.  and a lot of them are still here, so that will be a great place to start to make some notes.

Now re: the match, Raonic is still intimidated by the top guys and unable to play his best level. In all other matches outside GS, he has shown much more potential than this. His matches vs Federer have always been mighty close. Raonic, right now, is more of a threat for the other Top Tenners than the top guys. He’ll probably ready next year if not this year. He needs all the experience in the world he could gather at this point and this goes out for Tomic, Harrison, Dimitrov etc. as well.

I am glad, in fact, that Federer is getting all this hype as usual. He hasn’t been tested yet in the true sense and neither has Andy of course. That’s all I can say at this point.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 21, 2013, 04:37 PM ] IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #842 on: January 21, 2013, 03:15 PM »

I agree with that actually. Based on form Federer has definitely looked the best so far in this tournament. Up until the Wawrinka match I would've said Djokovic, probably. The problem is that it's really hard to read anything into Andy's performances as he hasn't been tested at all. So, I don't know.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #843 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19 PM »

To be honest I think Federer is actually playing the best right now and do people not remember how well he was playing at the O2? But expect him to drop a little physically by the time he reaches the later stages here.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #844 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24 PM »

To be honest I think Federer is actually playing the best right now and do people not remember how well he was playing at the O2? But expect him to drop a little physically by the time he reaches the later stages here.

He always plays his best against these players until he meets with someone he can't deal with. And then all of a sudden he's tired and error prone and wasn't able to play his best. I've been hearing this since 2008 when Nole first knocked him out of AO followed by Nadal at Wimbledon. He, in fact, had 'mono' around that time which was basically a cover up of his defeats to these great players. Don’t forget Berdych at the US Open. Federer was magnificent until he met with one of his real nemesis and all bets were off.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #845 on: January 21, 2013, 04:29 PM »

I like the fact how the momentum has shifted from Nole to now Federer. The pressure was on Nole at first and he was the overwhelming favourite to win, but with that match against Wawrinka and Federer's convincing win over the two youngsters, things have shifted towards Federer's favour. Of course, if Nadal was around, Federer's chances to win would have stayed very low. Andy is still flying under the radar just how it should be. Chardy could be tricky of course but I think Andy will be up for it. First of all, he needs a good match and Chardy can provide that and second, he’d be keen on beating Chardy, so that will bring forward some good performance by Andy. Or so I hope.

I was debating about he Berdych/Nole match but now I’ve decided that I won’t take sides and see how things pan out. Perhaps a Nole win will be more worthy just in case. In that case, I hope he has recovered enough from the last match.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #846 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34 PM »

Well, I don't think Andy's been tested yet, today's match was a joke, so I have no idea how well he is playing at the mo.
Nole's forehand and serve were off and if Stan weren't such a flake he could've won.
Saw Fed and thought he looked pretty good tbh. He's moving very well and looked sharp and confident and yes, better than Andy and Nole.
Berdych looked terrific, till his first serve percentage dropped.
Saw Ferrer in one match, he looked pretty good too.
Haven't seen Tsonga.
Impossible to say at this moment.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #847 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Deary deary me.. whan awful Fed/Milos match.
I didn't expect a win from Milos, but I'd hoped he'd at least take a set off him.
Then I discover (as Katie pointed out earlier) Milos almost pulled out prior to the match due to a foot injury. He had an MRI less than an hour before, and had an pain injection.

I've had the privilege to watch everyone else's matches.

Fed has been completely on point so far  Rolling Eyes.. but then I'd thought the same about Nole until I watched his match with Stan, so who knows?..
Tsonga, Chardy, Ferrer, Berdych and Amalgro all look dialled in. Tough matches to call.

Tbh.. the only player who's been looking really scratchy is Andy. BUT, he was the same at the USO, and look how that turned out!! yes
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #848 on: January 21, 2013, 06:08 PM »

You say he looks scratchy, but I think he's actually dropped the fewest games of anyone left in the draw.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #849 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13 PM »

^Oh..has he? That's great! I like the sound of that, certainly better than how he's looked on screen.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #850 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41 PM »

I'm going from memory but he's barely dropped any games. Actually curious, will count it up now. Will probably be close with Federer and Berdych.

Indeed he has. Generally meaningless stats as the quality of opposition faced is obviously noticeable weaker than probably all of the other players, but despite appearing somewhat patchy he has disposed of all of his opponents without any problems whatsoever. Maybe we're just expecting a bit too much?

Seed in first bracket, sets lost in second brackets.

(3) Murray - 34 (0)
(5) Berdych - 37 (0)
(4) Ferrer - 39 (1)
(2) Federer - 41 (0)
(7) Tsonga - 44 (1)
(10) Almagro - 46 (2)
(1) Djokovic - 61 (2)
Chardy - 64 (5)

NB: Counted up in my head so there may be the odd mathematical error but I think they're all right.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 21, 2013, 06:56 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #851 on: January 21, 2013, 07:00 PM »

The funny thing is that I don't think Andy has looked that bad. Sure, he hasn't hit the heights yet, but neither has he had any terrible lows either. Look at the Berankis match. I know, Berankis qualified, so you could argue he wouldn't really threaten, but I honestly think it was the sort of match that could have gone to four sets if Andy hadn't lifted when he needed to. That seems to be the key for me. When Andy is threatened now he responds positively so often. Andy is yet to drop a set too, which to my mind puts him in a great position.

What Andy has not had at the AO, compared to the USO, is lots of peaks and troughs. It's all been pretty steady, but he has lifted when he has had to. I agree that his form is hard to judge based on some of his opponents so far, but that is what it is. All I know is that he is yet to drop a set and hasn't spent long hours on court - it might be worth looking at the number of hours Andy, Djokovic and Federer have each spent on court in total, just out of interest.

Djokovic looked convincing until Wawrinka shook him up. That said, wasn't one of his straight sets wins less than straightforward (by his standards) too? I can't remember who he was playing, but I'm sure in one of the early rounds before Wawrinka he had to get himself out of a spot of bother.

I haven't seen all of Federer's matches, but it does sound as if he has been on good form. I'm just not convinced, with all due respect (she says, through gritted teeth) that means much. He was in good form at the USO until he met Berdych. In Federer's case I think you can ignore what happened at the O2, which was indoors and over three sets. Besides, if it hadn't been for that rotten crowd........ Whistle

Berdych has looked good at times, Ferrer looked good in the one match he has played that I saw. I haven't seen Tsonga or Almagro, but the comms have said once or twice that Tsonga has played well so far. I might be being unkind and don't really mean to be, but I was surprised to hear that Almagro has got this far.

I do think it is all a bit of a close call at the moment, but my gut instinct is still feeling that the winner will be Andy. I'm a great believer in Cometh the hour, cometh the man. He just needs to focus, stay calm and lift his game a notch or two.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #852 on: January 21, 2013, 07:08 PM »

IMO both Ferrer and Berdych looked really sharp but Berdych is only a lethal threat to Federer and Ferrer is no threat to any top players. He's capable of pushing them but that's all he's capable of on hard and grass. Tsonga is of course more capable of pulling upsets but it's still very up in the air.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #853 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16 AM »

Amalgro currently bossing Ferrer off the court.
Bagged the 1st set, and up 4-3 in 2nd, on serve.

I underestimated him.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #854 on: January 22, 2013, 03:25 AM »

Since when did Fed start having 2 hour public practices?  I thought he practiced without fans for 'moments like this' Whistle

His reward from the AO guys - night matches devil

* Practice schedule.JPG (42.11 KB, 631x412 - viewed 51 times.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »