Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 12788 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #900 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM »

No, I didn't quite mean it like that - bad phrasing on my part. Andy will thump him, I'm sure of it, but my eyes are on the semi's. I know they shouldn't be, but they are.

Mine too, have no idea who is gonna win it....equal chances for both. nervous
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #901 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17 PM »

When Almagro failed to serve and close at 5-4 in the 3rd set, the game was over for him right there. One of the biggest chokings I've have ever seen. Most players lack this self-belief and it's no wonder that Almagro is only one of them. He had no trouble closing the first two sets but when it came to 3rd and when it mattered the most, he simply failed to do it. All these victory thoughts came rushing in all at once and he got all tight as a result. I'd have very much liked him to win this match given how hard a time Ferrer gave him at DC just last year. There would have been some justice right there had that happened, but Almagro just got too overwhelmed by the situation. And perhaps found the aftermath a bit intimidating. Ferrer wasn’t looking too happy for one.

As to Berdych, he started all mental in the 1st set, got his stuff together in the next, got mental again in the 3rd and then put his stuff together back again  in the 4th but never really recovered from that early break. But at least tried to put up a decent fight unlike the 1st and 3rd set.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #902 on: January 22, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Poor Amalgro.. he had it in the bag in the third, then it was Groundhog Day again in the 4th... then it all went belly-up.

Nole wins again, suprise! Good sportsmanship near the beginning of the 5th when someone shouted during a Berdy 1st serve, and the Ump wasn't going to give him 1st again but Nole insisted he get it. clap
I also wish he would wear ankle guards like Andy.. when I watch his movement in slo-mo the stress on his ankles is shocking.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #903 on: January 22, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Well we will all hope that Joe Willy has a good match against Smugfed and at least makes him run around a lot and make Smugfed tired. I hate it when Smugfed always seems to come out with his matches all in the evening. Its is time the others in the top ten complained about the scheduling smugfed always gets some kind of advantage. Come on Joe Willy smash Roger the doger and make us happy.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #904 on: January 22, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Go Jo  yay yay yay
Take him to 5, though bad my challenge- I don't care yahooo
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #905 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02 PM »

Ferrer for greatest player to have never made a grand slam final? Must be pretty close.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #906 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Ferrer is going to go downhill again, I just know it.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #907 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Yeah, should really have taken up ski-ing.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #908 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Yeah, should really have taken up ski-ing.

And there's another joke out the hat!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #909 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Congrats on your 1000 posts
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #910 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12 PM »

Ferrer for greatest player to have never made a grand slam final? Must be pretty close.
And maybe also the greatest never to have actually won a Slam (now that our Andy is no longer on the list).  In terms of the modern generation maybe Davydenko also who, at least, has won a couple of Masters and the WTF
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #911 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Without a doubt, at least in my mind.

I know it's hypothetical, but I was thinking the other day about how far Ferrer might have gone if Rafa had never been around. I think he's always been in Rafa's shadow somewhat, for reasons that are obvious I suppose. I also think he has benefitted in a sense from Rafa not being around. At the very least he's getting some long overdue credit now.

If Rafa hadn't been around I wonder if Ferrer might just have won a major, perhaps a French. I know he would still have had to deal with the others at the top, but it did make me think that he might have had a chance.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #912 on: January 22, 2013, 10:58 PM »

I think you're right in that he is probably the greatest player of current tour to never have won a slam. I think that he's better on hard courts than clay so that's where his best chances are. But there are just too many great great players and as has been said, overshadowed by the younger Rafa. I love David though. Never gives up and is one of the best liked guys on tour, is friends with everyone and always humble and gentlemanly tender But then most the Spanish players are like that Very Happy
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #913 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52 AM »

Kuzzy beating Aza... just what I wanted.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #914 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Come on Tsonga.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »