Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2013 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2013 - the other players

(Read 14934 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1065 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23 PM »

His mental fortitude has come a long-long way. He always says matches are won more between the ears.
He is a great tactician, and closely observes other players' behaviours.
Just look at how precise he is at his impressions.

After his win today, he told Jim Courier he would spend the next few days replaying and visuallizing his play today again in his mind.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1066 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36 PM »

Nole is never known as a tactician. He doesn't have that variety to be called a tactician.

His fitness has definitely set him free. He said his gluten free diet has a lot to do with it as well as well as that egg vaccum thing.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1067 on: January 24, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Djoker/Ferrer... Poor Daveed hug
The whole match reminded me of this old vid:

Thanks for that Scotnadian, hadn't seen it before, hilarious. Isn't that his mate James Corder, the comedian?  Loved the sign-off with the smashed racquet and the overturned bin.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1068 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Katie, re: Ferrer vs Nishi match - it doesn't seem too apparent but Ferrer took himself at the supreme level to beat Nishi. I believe this happened beasue of their past meetings and Ferrer did not want to lose to Nishi so he wanted to make sure he put out his very best out there and he did. Nishi was there at first in the very first set, but once, Ferrer took himself to that level, Nishi was mentally beaten right there. And since then on, after that remarkable performance, Ferrer had struggled immensely. In fact, I think that's why he had a letdown against Almagro and wasn't able to perform his usual level. And then lost in straight sets to Nole. I mean look at their H2H before this meeting - 12-0 Ferrer vs Almagro.  
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1069 on: January 24, 2013, 06:56 PM »

The only thing I would add about Ferrer is I'm not sure what he has left in his arsenal. He seems to have used all of his abilities to the maximum, and there's no shame in that.
I hope he continues to play as long as he can, and enjoy the game.

Me too - reading his interviews he always seems like he enjoys tennis a lot, both playing and watching it, so I think he'll be motivated to stay on the tour as long as he can.

Katie, re: Ferrer vs Nishi match - it doesn't seem too apparent but Ferrer took himself at the supreme level to beat Nishi. I believe this happened beasue of their past meetings and Ferrer did not want to lose to Nishi so he wanted to make sure he put out his very best out there and he did. Nishi was there at first in the very first set, but once, Ferrer took himself to that level, Nishi was mentally beaten right there. And since then on, after that remarkable performance, Ferrer had struggled immensely. In fact, I think that's why he had a letdown against Almagro and wasn't able to perform his usual level. And then lost in straight sets to Nole. I mean look at their H2H before this meeting - 12-0 Ferrer vs Almagro. 

That's a good point Emma Jean - Nishikori was a potential major stumbling block for him and an important one to win after the Olympics. He definitely lifted his level a lot to beat him, and also played well against Baghdatis. He was just a bit too up and down in the other matches though (and poor in the final two). Almagro definitely performed above his usual level in their match though - played fearlessly for nearly three full sets. He's going to be coached by Juan Carlos Ferrero this year so it'll be interesting to see if he can help his mentality - he has a lot of talent but suffers mentally at crucial times in matches.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1070 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12 PM »

Basically I am not buying that Nole was in sublime form against Ferrer. It had a lot to do with the fact that Ferrer wasn't in the right form and was probably exhausted. I get that Nole would have won anyway, but I think too much is being read into Nole's form after that match.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1071 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Found someone who has uploaded a few Australian open  HD matches,unfortunately none of Andy's at least  not yet;
http://www.youtube.com/user/TennisNetworkHD?feature=watch
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1072 on: January 24, 2013, 10:13 PM »

That was ridiculous from Djokovic last night. That was a semi final against a top 5 player yet it looked like a 1st round match against a no mark qualifier. Further proof of how far Ferrer is ahead of the rest yet how far he remains behind the top 4. Unlucky to be part of this era in that he's basically on a completely different level to anyone ranked below him but cannot hope to threaten anyone above him.

Really nervous but looking forward to tonight. Going to be extremely tough for Murray or Federer to beat Djokovic on his current form especially considering his easy match, extra day off and they'll probably play for 3 or 4 hours or more tonight.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1073 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Ferrer is poor.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1074 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22 PM »

He's just not though. He's top 5 for a reason. For me there's really 3 groups in mens tennis at the moment. Top 4, Ferrer, the rest.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1075 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Found someone who has uploaded a few Australian open  HD matches,unfortunately none of Andy's at least  not yet;
http://www.youtube.com/user/TennisNetworkHD?feature=watch

Hi CoolDude, long time no speak.

I have a YouTube channel now and will be aiming to upload the SF tomorrow as soon as I possibly can. I'll then post the rest of his matches later on in the next week or so.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1076 on: January 24, 2013, 10:25 PM »

He's just not though. He's top 5 for a reason. For me there's really 3 groups in mens tennis at the moment. Top 4, Ferrer, the rest.

yes After all he demolished Del Potro, can beat Tsonga etc. He's where Andy was until last year, above the rest of the pack but just unable to be at the level of the top 4 and beat them out for the titles Frown Which is a shame because he is a great player and seems a genuinely nice guy.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1077 on: January 24, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Meh, reaching 5 grand slam semi finals and winning less games in them then someone who has reached 1 has (Berdych), just proves that his ranking isn't a true reflection of his ability. He's good, but not as good as his ranking suggests. He plays so many tournaments that have nobodies in just to collect easy ranking points too.
[ Last edit by ProdigyEng January 25, 2013, 12:15 AM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Ferrer has no weapons to hurt the guys at the top - he looks like a one-dimensional junkballer at times.

That said, for Djokovic to win 2, 2 and 1 is a rather frightening statement of intent.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Australian Open 2013 - the other players « Reply #1079 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Ferrer has no weapons to hurt the guys at the top - he looks like a one-dimensional junkballer at times.

That said, for Djokovic to win 2, 2 and 1 is a rather frightening statement of intent.

Peaked too early. Andy has Djokovic's number. He just has to believe it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »