Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 77 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players

(Read 13819 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « on: January 05, 2014, 02:59 PM »

It's that time of year again. The first Slam of the year is only 7 days away....

There are several players here who are major threats to the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer. One example being Hewitt who won the Brisbane International title only hours ago. Also Gael Monfils who reached the final in Doha before losing to Rafa in three sets, and Wawrinka who won in Chennai. But apart from the titlists and runners up this week, there are also the young guns such as Grigor Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz to look out for.

This year's Australian Open could be a good one.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:36 PM »

Delpo or Nole will win the AO.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:57 PM »

Delpo or Nole will win the AO.
This is my personal take on it Del just doesnt have the stamina to keep going .it will most likely be nole ,who I detest but his game is so very good.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:06 PM »

Looking highly unlikely it will be andy this year so im going for rafa or novak. Preferably novak as im sick of rafa.
IP Logged
maxply
Futures Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58 PM »

It's the figgeting about with Rafa ,it's just getting too much .
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:31 PM »

Wawrinka, Monfils or Hewitt (!) being contenders? Please.

There are only four serious contenders and one of those has only played two competitive games since September.

If Nadal doesn't get knocked out before the final, I fancy him given his dominance of Djokovic since his return. If someone else can stop him, then it's Djokovic's to lose. Del Potro is the major wild card here, as inconsistent as he is. At his best he can beat either of them.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40 PM »

Dominance of Djokovic?

Yep that's why the Head2Head in 2013 is 3-3. REAL dominance that.

Djokovic is going to tear the thug apart if they meet.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41 PM »

Starting this topic before an 'Andy at the AO' topic has been made. SACRILEGE!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:40 PM »

I'll be at the 4th round and quarter finals. Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47 PM »

Starting this topic before an 'Andy at the AO' topic has been made. SACRILEGE!
Well I've just opened one ... Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:43 AM »

There are several players here who are major threats to the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer. One example being Hewitt who won the Brisbane International title only hours ago. Also Gael Monfils who reached the final in Doha before losing to Rafa in three sets, and Wawrinka who won in Chennai. But apart from the titlists and runners up this week, there are also the young guns such as Grigor Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz to look out for.
At the risk of being called negative I can't see Murray himself being much of a threat.  He was clearly struggling physically against Mayer in Doha, so I can't see how a few days more practice, with maybe an exho thrown in, will make much difference.  I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.  I don't see old man Fed being much of a threat either, let alone win the tournament, but I suppose he can't be written off.

I'm going for rafa or novak. Preferably novak as im sick of rafa.
Me too, although I'd love to see Delpo get to the final and win it.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07 AM »

Dominance of Djokovic?

Yep that's why the Head2Head in 2013 is 3-3. REAL dominance that.

Djokovic is going to tear the thug apart if they meet.
And what's their 2013 H2H in the slams?

Exactly.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10 AM »

And what's their 2013 H2H in the slams?

Exactly.

Yes because Djokovic didn't go 7-0 against the Thug in 2011.

There is no dominance in the rivalry, that is fact.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:16 AM »

Also Djokovic played some shocking Tennis in the slams last year and was well below par at the FO, yet still managed to take the Thug to 5 sets.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09 AM »

I'll say it on the appropriate thread, but I still don't think you can rule Andy out. Some people seemed to think I was suggesting the other day that Andy can't win it when I said I have no expectations, but what I was saying is that I don't think you can safely predict either way. If Andy gets through the first few rounds I think he has the same chance as anyone else. The five set format should help Andy find his form, and even at Doha I don't think his best was far off, so Andy, at least for me, is amongst the favourites.

As for the others, if Nadal wins I may consider cancelling Sky Sport. Sick to the back teeth of him. Talented, sure, probably brilliant, but definitely not the be all and end all of the ruddy game! Grrr!

If Djokovic wins we'll never hear the end of it from Becker, so I'd rather he didn't. He probably will though, assuming either Nadal or Andy don't.

Federer out in the quarters for sure, if not before. Mr. Invincible just isn't anymore.

I'd still only give Delpo an outside chance. I think it could go either way with him, he'll either do really well or he'll bomb out early. Just a feeling.

Will Berdych decide to resume his off season briefly and go out in the first round? I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Something tells me Wawrinka and Ferrer will have an awful AO, especially Ferrer. Again, just a feeling, an odd one.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 77 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »