Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 77 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players

(Read 13303 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1065 on: January 26, 2014, 03:35 PM »

Am I the only one who was sorry for Rafa I think the pain was genuine and I think Stan's reaction to the medical time out was over the top.  He may well have won it in 3 if he'd stayed calm and just played his game.  Rafa knew he couldn't win and should be given some credit for not throwing in the towel at the end of the 2nd set which would really have taken the shine out of a win for Stan.  Didn't much enjoy the match. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1066 on: January 26, 2014, 03:57 PM »

No Tessie you are not the only one.    I don't like Rafa but I would guess that he was genuinely injured although how severely there is no way of knowing.   Stan won against an injured Rafa.    That is a fact.     Whether he would have won the match anyway is up in the air.   I can't see what is wrong with speculating whether he would have taken the title against a fit Rafa.    I don't think he could without a large slice of luck and that is exactly what he got today.       
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1067 on: January 26, 2014, 04:06 PM »

Quite agree Tessie and Iluvandy goodjob   Anyway, makes for an intriguing season to come.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1068 on: January 26, 2014, 04:52 PM »

Hmm! Does Federer have a crystal ball? He has the World Tour finals listed on this year's schedule!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1069 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01 PM »

no a number of us have been saying we believe Rafa had a genuine injury and have expressed sympathy Tessie.   
It may not be a long term back injury Caroline but that doesn't mean it wasn't enough to scupper his chances today.  Tennis puts so much strain on so many parts of the body that players often sustain injuries in parts where they're not carrying a long term problem.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1070 on: January 26, 2014, 05:11 PM »

Andy will fall out of the Top 32 by the end of the year. Adrian Ungur will win a Slam and Vasek Pospisil will win the USO. #gangstasNIDpredictions.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1071 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15 PM »

I feel the need to google this Adrian guy lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1072 on: January 26, 2014, 05:24 PM »

I thought at the time that Stan's reaction to the MTO was a bit OTT, but now I think it was nerves, pure and simple. I think he was nervous and just didn't know what was going on. Castle missed the point, as ever, by suggesting he had no right to know.

I do feel sorry for Rafa. No one likes to see a player unable to play. However, I also feel for Stan because in some eyes his win will have an asterisk against it, which I'm not sure is right. Stan couldn't help Rafa's injury, any more than he could help Andy competing with him at the USO when his back was clearly bad. Stan also couldn't help the fact that he gained from retirements and walkovers at the AO, resting him when others were playing in extreme heat. What Stan has done is make full use of those chances, so good on him.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1073 on: January 26, 2014, 05:26 PM »

I'd say there's a big five: Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka and Del Potro, in that order (all slam champs).
  clap
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1074 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47 PM »

Andy will fall out of the Top 32 by the end of the year. Adrian Ungur will win a Slam and Vasek Pospisil will win the USO. #gangstasNIDpredictions.

The winners of the other three slams for 1914 will be

Ben Dower
Pat Maheed
and
Pat Magroin.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1075 on: January 26, 2014, 05:59 PM »

The winners of the other three slams for 1914 will be

Ben Dower
Pat Maheed
and
Pat Magroin.
   Possibly, but I think Phil McCavity could spring a surprise at RG.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1076 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04 PM »

According to Rafa's Spanish presser, he had the same sort of trouble with his back at Montreal last year and it cleared up after 4 or 5 days - he certainly doesn't expect to be out for any length of time. 
IP Logged
penelopypitstop

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1077 on: January 26, 2014, 06:08 PM »

Possibly, but I think Phil McCavity could spring a surprise at RG.

Pat MaElba could be a surprise too!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1078 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12 PM »

It's such a shame that Wawrinka is not getting full credit for this.

With headlines like this this
"Rafael Nadal: I Started To Feel The Back Injury During Warm-up, But This Was Stan’s Day, He Deserved It"
how is Stan going to feel like he "deserved it"??

Nadal says he was injured before even taking the court but Wawrinka "deserved it"? It's quite a mixed message. And I guess Wawrinka is buying it, because here is his tweet:

#Wawrinka "It's final of Grand Slam so v.happy to win, it but it's not the way a player wants to win, because their opponent is injured."

To me, that's just sad.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1079 on: January 26, 2014, 06:14 PM »

It's such a shame that Wawrinka is not getting full credit for this.

With headlines like this this
"Rafael Nadal: I Started To Feel The Back Injury During Warm-up, But This Was Stan’s Day, He Deserved It"
how is Stan going to feel like he "deserved it"??

Nadal says he was injured before even taking the court but Wawrinka "deserved it"? It's quite a mixed message. And I guess Wawrinka is buying it, because here is his tweet:

#Wawrinka "It's final of Grand Slam so v.happy to win, it but it's not the way a player wants to win, because their opponent is injured."

To me, that's just sad.
   He can go some way to consolation in remembering he beat the former champion Djokovic as well.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 77 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »