Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players

(Read 13880 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1080 on: January 26, 2014, 06:15 PM »

Very s
It's such a shame that Wawrinka is not getting full credit for this.

With headlines like this this
"Rafael Nadal: I Started To Feel The Back Injury During Warm-up, But This Was Stan’s Day, He Deserved It"
how is Stan going to feel like he "deserved it"??

Nadal says he was injured before even taking the court but Wawrinka "deserved it"? It's quite a mixed message. And I guess Wawrinka is buying it, because here is his tweet:

#Wawrinka "It's final of Grand Slam so v.happy to win, it but it's not the way a player wants to win, because their opponent is injured."

To me, that's just sad.

Very sad, Janet, particularly as Stan played lights out tennis until Rafa's MTO.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1081 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17 PM »

I didn't see the match Alis, but yes that's what's I've read in all the reports this morning. Thanks.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1082 on: January 26, 2014, 07:26 PM »

Hmm! Does Federer have a crystal ball? He has the World Tour finals listed on this year's schedule!

Hahahahahahahahahaha. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1083 on: January 26, 2014, 07:58 PM »

Its a funny old game. Stan has never won a Masters and only reached a Masters final once. Then in his  first Grand Slam final he wins it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1084 on: January 26, 2014, 08:29 PM »

Its a funny old game. Stan has never won a Masters and only reached a Masters final once. Then in his  first Grand Slam final he wins it.

And before today he'd only won 250-level titles before (no 500s): 2 x Chennai, Oeiras, Casablanca and Umag. Quite a step up to become a GS champion!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1085 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30 PM »

Possibly, but I think Phil McCavity could spring a surprise at RG.

My wife's friend actually dated someone called Phil McCracken.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1086 on: January 26, 2014, 08:31 PM »

Its a funny old game. Stan has never won a Masters and only reached a Masters final once. Then in his  first Grand Slam final he wins it.

DelPotro is the same I think; has won a slam but no Masters, and I believe he'd only been in one Masters final prior to his slam win. Mainly Delpo's titles are 500 level.

I wonder what this says about Masters titles?
[ Last edit by janetx January 26, 2014, 08:48 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1087 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44 PM »

I think it says an awful lot about the consistency of the big boys though. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1088 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03 PM »

My wife's friend actually dated someone called Phil McCracken.
   Don't tell me, he was a plasterer?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1089 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03 PM »

Don't tell me, he was a plasterer?

Yes, he was.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1090 on: January 26, 2014, 09:06 PM »

And before today he'd only won 250-level titles before (no 500s): 2 x Chennai, Oeiras, Casablanca and Umag. Quite a step up to become a GS champion!

I have a problem with this. I kind of think, to be a 'worthy' slam champion, your number of Masters titles should be in proportion to your number of slam wins. This works out OK for the (former) Big Four; they're in proportion. If you've never won a Masters and you suddenly win a slam, it's just wrong.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1091 on: January 26, 2014, 09:31 PM »

I have a problem with this. I kind of think, to be a 'worthy' slam champion, your number of Masters titles should be in proportion to your number of slam wins. This works out OK for the (former) Big Four; they're in proportion. If you've never won a Masters and you suddenly win a slam, it's just wrong.

Its not wrong its just a bit bizarre considering all the Masters Andy won and all the Slam finals he reached before he actually won one!! But you can't deny he deserved to win given who he had to beat along the way. But even last year he played great against Andy at the USO, played great versus Joker at the AO and the USO but apart from that did he do much the rest of the year? Always thought of him as a clay courter really but at the hard court Slams he has been tremendous.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1092 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57 PM »

janetx:  I wonder what Rafa was supposed to say?  He could hardly say he wasn't injured when patently he was. And I understand he refused to answer more than one question about the injury, saying it was Stan's day.  Seems to me he behaved totally properly.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1093 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12 PM »

maybe he didn't have to bring up that he felt the injury in the warm up? or maybe he could've done like serena did when she lost to ivanovic and fully credit the opponent? i don't know but it just seems all this injury talk undermines stan's victory somewhat. there must be ways of deflecting it methinks? Think
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1094 on: January 26, 2014, 10:15 PM »

maybe he didn't have to bring up that he felt the injury in the warm up? or maybe he could've done like serena did when she lost to ivanovic and fully credit the opponent? i don't know but it just seems all this injury talk undermines stan's victory somewhat. there must be ways of deflecting it methinks? Think

Considering what everyone saw on court including the strapping before the medical time out. And of course all the fuss over that not sure deflecting it was an option think Nadal has done well to keep it as low key as it is. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »