Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 Go Down Reply
Author

Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players

(Read 13583 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1095 on: January 26, 2014, 10:17 PM »

To be fair he was asked when the injury happened, don't see any point in him lying. Stan played a blinding first set or so but at same time Nadal didn't seem to be hitting as hard as usual or getting to as many balls. Now we know why.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1096 on: January 26, 2014, 10:21 PM »

I have a problem with this. I kind of think, to be a 'worthy' slam champion, your number of Masters titles should be in proportion to your number of slam wins. This works out OK for the (former) Big Four; they're in proportion. If you've never won a Masters and you suddenly win a slam, it's just wrong.

I know what you mean, it does seem strange. This time last year he hadn't won a title for over two years, was ranked 17 in the world and now he's a slam champion. Hard to believe really.

But he's worked very hard at his game and has improved so much mentally over the last year. Perhaps now he's ready to win a Masters? It'll be interesting to see how he does with a top 4 seeding at IW/Miami.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1097 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29 PM »

magnus norman surely deserves much credit for stan's win too, as he nearly brought soderling a title as well.

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1098 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30 PM »

I suppose really it's just it is a little galling to know how hard Andy had to slog to get his first slam, losing so many finals and semis to Fed/Nadal/Djokovic though racking up plenty of consistancy and titles - then in a slam where Andy isn't 100% fit Stan wins in his first final (and in a slam Andy's been in 3 finals and faced Fed/ Djoko on top form). Prob not helped by the fact that it was Stan who knocked andy out of US open when not fully fit.

However, good for Stan for making the most of his talent - at his age many players have been content to maintain a top 10 ranking but he keeps working to improve and now is reaping the rewards.  But that's him had his reward, he can move over again for Andy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1099 on: January 26, 2014, 10:34 PM »

The thing is that Nadal was bound to be asked in the press conference about the injury. He could hardly turn around and deny an injury or refuse to say anything about it, given that he had an MTO during the match.

I do think there is a danger that Nadal's injury gets more attention than Wawrinka's win, but to my mind it's quite simple. No one can 100% say that Wawrinka wouldn't have won anyway. Wawrinka also held it together in an awkward situation. He had a chance and took it.

I'm not Nadal's biggest fan, I'll be honest about that, and I do think he can cry wolf at times, but I do think he's been quite gracious to Stan, considering it isn't his job to talk about Stan at all really.

I'm actually sat watching the match again, on Eurosport this time, and it strikes me that Nadal was booed when he came back from the MTO. I bet he's never experienced that before.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1100 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43 PM »

you're right teejay1 that stan managed to hold it together. watched the match on replay this morning. after he lost the 3rd set and rafa seemed to be feeling better again, if i didn't know the results i'd've though nadal could still win it all. indeed rafa was up a break in the 4th too. so it was touch and go for stan after the injury came into the match. prior to that, in set 1 and half of set 2, stan was playing really well to open up the court, with a crosscourt shot followed by one up the line. strategically it was the right play.

about the stan win and nadal's injury, i won't say more on it, although i do find it interesting that most bi-lines are along the lines of "wawrinka beats ailing nadal" and yet when roger beat andy there was no mention in the bi-lines of andy's back and that he's recovering still from back surgery. i assume most people know, though, that andy wasn't at his best form either.
[ Last edit by janetx January 26, 2014, 10:57 PM ] IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1101 on: January 27, 2014, 09:14 AM »

Is it weird that I kinda feel bitter about Stan winning the AO on his 1st attempt? Andy's been a 3 time finalist there and couldnt manage to get past QF in the last 2 GS. Stan played superb for 2 weeks and I just can't help but feeling like a sore loser. I hope Andy's back gets better soon so that he can benon tiptop shape again to contend against the best players.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1102 on: January 27, 2014, 09:45 AM »

Is it weird that I kinda feel bitter about Stan winning the AO on his 1st attempt? Andy's been a 3 time finalist there and couldnt manage to get past QF in the last 2 GS. Stan played superb for 2 weeks and I just can't help but feeling like a sore loser. I hope Andy's back gets better soon so that he can benon tiptop shape again to contend against the best players.

Just think about the fact that up until the US Open last year, from the Wimbledon final in 2012, and excluding the French last year because he couldn't play, Andy made all of the major finals. In the USO last year Andy was clearly struggling with his back, and also with post-Wimbledon win mental fatigue. The AO this year just came too soon for him. That doesn't mean to say he won't be back and won't win majors again.

Try as I might I can't begrudge Wawrinka. He has improved over the last 12 months, there's no doubt about that. Also, he's spent years being treated like a poor relation to Federer. I think Federer's decline has been good for Wawrinka psychologically.

Wawrinka had his chance yesterday and took it. I know humans are irrational, but you can't hold the fact that Andy is yet to win the AO against Wawrinka, especially when Andy wasn't in the final.

Time will tell, of course, if Wawrinka can win more majors. What I would bet on is that Andy can and will, and I'd bet the AO will be one of them.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1103 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06 AM »

@Teejay1 and bes03. I think what we should focus on is the fact that Andy Murray battled for so long, and against so many demons to get his major prizes. They are worth more by virtue of that. Had he not won his Grand Slams he would have been an man forever unfulfilled. If he never plays another match, he would have no regrets now.

I can't judge Andy Murray against other players. He is unique. The terrified little boy cowering under a desk whilst carnage raged around him, fought his demons and conquered them. It's what makes his achievements so great in my eyes.

As you say Teejay Warwrinka has forever been the poor relation in Swiss Tennis. I am usually the first to hate anyone who does better than Murray, but given Nadal's shenanigans yesterday, any other result would have been a travesty. The cards fell in Warwrinka's favour yesterday. It happens. Realistically let's also not forget it has happened for Murray as well. in the Olympic final Del Potro knackering Federer before the final. Ditto the Wimbledon Final this year. Berdych removing Fed before the the US Open Semi.

Murray got to the Quarters in spite of being in the process of recovery from a back problem. Don't forget Murray beat Warwrinka in straight sets in his second match back, and also the first round of the Olympics.

I think at the moment we need to appreciate what we have got, rather than looking at what might have been in this tournament.
IP Logged
Cmongoose
Satellite Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1104 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04 PM »

He's 29 next month too. In a way I'm cheered because it could mean a longer tennis life for Andy. But practically I'd think this year was Stan's best chance of getting more slams.
Think Rafa betta watch out at RG, I really do.

Apparently no one has a chance at taking RG unless Nadal retires soon (a possibility for the injury prone player).
Despite Novak losing 7-9 in the fifth he doesn't appear to have a snowball's chance either.
I personally think he could do it this year as it will be all he & his team is thinking about.
How could he not be?
Certainly it was the obvious goal last year, hence the dip after the loss.
He alone can beat Nadal now on clay having done so in finals before.
Its been building up to a RG win for Novak in his increasingly impressive results also.
And If he does win it, then he truly will be one of the greatest players ever regardless of how many more slams he wins.
Novak is hurting now, he has lost his safety blanket in the AO. I predict he will come back more dangerous than ever & shouldn't be written off, but we shall see.
Pleased for Wawrinka, it was well deserved after taking out both Novak and Berdych. But felt a little for Rafa I have to admit.
Waw's a lucky ******* however (a la Federer's Wimbledon when he practically played under the roof for most of the tournament, more so in fact).
It's a delpo anomaly this slam of his.
[ Last edit by Cmongoose January 27, 2014, 12:14 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1105 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50 PM »

I don't think we can assume that Roland Garros is Nadal's for the taking - surely this Oz Open proves that the most surprising can happen.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1106 on: January 27, 2014, 02:59 PM »

I don't think we can assume that Roland Garros is Nadal's for the taking - surely this Oz Open proves that the most surprising can happen.

My prediction is that Nadal will be out for a couple of tournaments with his "bad back". I fully expect him to return refreshed and reinvigorated in time for The French.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1107 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05 PM »

In a way I think Wimbledon, although that had the winner some of us predicted all along, and the AO, show that anything can happen.

Before the AO I would never have picked Stan as a slam winner. Never in a million years. I have a feeling he wouldn't have picked himself either though, so I don't feel bad about it Smile. However, if he continues to play as he did against Nadal he will surely be a contender at RG. Judging by the way he was playing Nadal early on yesterday I can't imagine Nadal would want him in his draw for RG.

I still think the majority of the majors will go to the players we might expect over the next few years, but I don't think it's bad for the game, or for the players themselves for that matter, if there are others stepping up and challenging, provided Andy wins his fair share Smile.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1108 on: January 27, 2014, 03:24 PM »

@cmongoose
According to the received wisdom: Rafa for RG, Fed for Wimbles and Nole for USOpen
No-one else need turn up then... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Australian Open 2014 - The Other Players « Reply #1109 on: January 27, 2014, 03:28 PM »

Fed for Wimbledon BBH I don't think so. He will do well if he reaches the semi finals.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »