Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Since David Ferrer, Mardy Fish and Jo Wilfried Tsonga will make the finals. Who will get the last spot?
Tomas Berdych - 7 (87.5%)
Gilles Simon - 1 (12.5%)
Janko Tipsarevic - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011  (Read 4668 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #165 on: November 28, 2011, 07:07 PM »

Well said Mr Samuel!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #166 on: November 28, 2011, 07:31 PM »

Must admit I was disappointed with this tournament. Nadal was not at his best also Djokovic and Andy were both injured it took all the excitment out of it. Then we had to watch Mr Smug go on and win in lets face it an easy way. Hope next year they are all fully fit. Perhaps we won't see Mr Smug he may be Fatigued and have a few Niggles and take till wimbeldon to recover.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #167 on: November 28, 2011, 11:07 PM »

Must admit I was disappointed with this tournament.

It was rubbish. They need to rethink its very existence.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #168 on: November 28, 2011, 11:18 PM »

I must have missed something in translation.

I understood that Andy Murray won three tournaments in a row, which apparently were not really of much importance. However, his Royal Lowness also won three tournaments in a row, which on the other hand were vitally of worth to prove that he was on the way back and would win at least another slam during 2012 and a further one in 2013.

Please correct my misunderstandings, my MW friends. I don't know how I could be so naive!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #169 on: November 28, 2011, 11:29 PM »

OSS, how could you be so naive!  HRL played players of significance where as Andy didn't Whistle
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #170 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38 PM »

OSS, how could you be so naive!  HRL played players of significance where as Andy didn't Whistle

Bev, many thanks for putting me right. I knew I was missing something important.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #171 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50 AM »

............ and, of course, Andy's tournaments were back to back - three weeks in a row - so that makes it a lot easier!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #172 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57 AM »

It was rubbish. They need to rethink its very existence.

I agree - it was definitely a non-event this year in spite of all the hype. It's a great idea in principle but just not working - although I don't quite know how they could improve it.  It will be interesting to see what happens next year when it comes right on the back of the Paris Masters.  Those that have already qualified surely won't play Paris - a great shame IMO as it usually is one of the best Masters for atmosphere.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #173 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40 AM »

............ and, of course, Andy's tournaments were back to back - three weeks in a row - so that makes it a lot easier!

And he threw in a doubles title with Jamie.    But none of that matters.    What makes the tournaments that Smugfed won so important?    HE WAS THERE. Whistle
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #174 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50 AM »

Murray won tournaments in Asia where the worlds number 1 and 3 players were not present and the number 2 was injured

Roger has just won the World Tour Finals the most prestigious event in the calendar after the majors, the best 8 players in the world were all there, sure Roger managed his schedule better than the other guys at the top of the game, but the schedule of the rest of the top 8 is not Roger's problem.

There are alot of big tournaments in tennis and things are going to stay as they are for a long time, so it's about being able to adapt and deal with the rigours of playing so many big events.

Going on time to get the calendar reduced is a laughable suggestion and would anger many genuine fans and tournament directors around the world.
[ Last edit by ak400 November 29, 2011, 11:46 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #175 on: November 29, 2011, 11:12 AM »

Gosh everyone has some valid points that both OSS and I missed.

As for the schedule, perhaps all the top player should have 6 weeks off after the US Open and then everyone will be fit for the last tournies of the year or just scrap the Asian swing completely since it's not important. nah
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #176 on: November 29, 2011, 11:45 AM »

One thing IS obvious - while the tennis calendar remains the way it is we will never have all the top players producing their best all at the same time at every tournament.  Andy manfully kept the flag flying during his magnificent Asian TRI-umph and Jolly Roger came along well rested and ready to clean up at the year-end.  Novak found enough strength to get from his tax haven in Monte Carlo to pick up his million pound bonus in Paris and poor Nadal looked very rough indeed in London.

Let's face it, the World Tour Finals have been a big disappointment to everyone other than Federer and his fans, not just because he won it but because the tournament pretty much had his name all over it from the third day onwards.  It turned into an almighty love-fest for the Very Special One, his fans and media luvvies left pretty much alone to worship at his temple, the O2 arena.   His victory had a kind of hollow feel about it, all very predictable and quite dreary.  I had the distinct impression that Sunday's final very nearly reached its conclusion after an hour and five minutes' play but ticket prices necessitated dragging it out to a more value-for-money two and a half hours.   Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #177 on: November 29, 2011, 12:35 PM »

"Murray won tournaments in Asia where the worlds number 1 and 3 players were not present and the number 2 was injured"

FACT: Not only was Nadal NOT in any way injured, he was fit healthy & relatively rested in the Tokyo final when he played Murray.
FACT: At the WTF Nadal clearly suffered some light food poisoning or stomach upset that casued him to run off court to avoid an accident, he played Roger lacking any kind of energy whatsoever.
Fact: Last year federer was at Shanghai and in the finals was destroyed by Murray after he incidentally took out Novak and Soderling in the quarters & semi's.
Fact: Federer faced no one of quality and an unseeded player in the final at basel & 2 tired top tenners in the semi's and Final of Paris, as well as a weakened field at the WTF.
FACT FACT FACTFACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT
Your inability to accept facts & invent things that can easily be checked for confirmation means that you do fed fans a big disservice here by looking quite ridiculous.
Again this is NOT a tennis forum, & it is most certainly not a Roger federer fans site. Its an Andy Murray fansite so you should accept that as well & do the honourable thing go somewhere where there is a point to your sycophancy.

IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #178 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29 PM »

"Murray won tournaments in Asia where the worlds number 1 and 3 players were not present and the number 2 was injured"

FACT: Not only was Nadal NOT in any way injured, he was fit healthy & relatively rested in the Tokyo final when he played Murray.
FACT: At the WTF Nadal clearly suffered some light food poisoning or stomach upset that casued him to run off court to avoid an accident, he played Roger lacking any kind of energy whatsoever.
Fact: Last year federer was at Shanghai and in the finals was destroyed by Murray after he incidentally took out Novak and Soderling in the quarters & semi's.
Fact: Federer faced no one of quality and an unseeded player in the final at basel & 2 tired top tenners in the semi's and Final of Paris, as well as a weakened field at the WTF.
FACT FACT FACTFACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT
Your inability to accept facts & invent things that can easily be checked for confirmation means that you do fed fans a big disservice here by looking quite ridiculous.
Again this is NOT a tennis forum, & it is most certainly not a Roger federer fans site. Its an Andy Murray fansite so you should accept that as well & do the honourable thing go somewhere where there is a point to your sycophancy.

Congratulations! Summed up beautifully
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2011 « Reply #179 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40 PM »

Congratulations! Summed up beautifully
Totally agree with theycanbilme, however as many have tried to point out to the Fed Fan this is Murrays World and he/she should go back to Federer's Wonderland, where make believe is accepted.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »