Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 96 Go Down Reply
Author

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012

(Read 14584 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Andy better turn up this year, is all  naughty

Andy went in to the WTF last year with an injury. He had to pull out after playing Ferrer. It wasn't as if he played and blew it.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Andy went in to the WTF last year with an injury. He had to pull out after playing Ferrer. It wasn't as if he played and blew it.
Oh Teejay like you I'm getting thoroughly browned off with some of the members of this forum, they seem to suffer from short term memory loss. Andy was injured last year, he had to pull out of Basel, not right for Paris and pulled out of the 02 after The Ferrer match as you so rightly pointed out he was injured.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48 PM »

Oh Teejay like you I'm getting thoroughly browned off with some of the members of this forum, they seem to suffer from short term memory loss. Andy was injured last year, he had to pull out of Basel, not right for Paris and pulled out of the 02 after The Ferrer match as you so rightly pointed out he was injured.

Patience Michelle patience, not everyone has a good memory like you . I remember things because I keep a detailed tennis diary  What's your secret aide memoire?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03 PM »

I'm certainly not letting you into my secret. Just cannot stand anyone who tells me to have patience!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Is it that obvious that I'm getting browned off? That's a nice way to put it actually. I would have said pissed. Whistle

I just think sometimes it's easy to imply that Andy somehow failed, rather than look at the facts. I realise that everyone here, well, nearly everyone, wants Andy to do well, to be the best he can be. I'm sure he wants that too, otherwise he would not have worked his backside off to get where he is, and he would not have fought back after losing four major finals, to put himself in the firing line again. I actually don't think Andy gets the credit he deserves for that, even here.

I'm not averse to criticising Andy myself if I feel he deserves it. There have been times when I have felt like kicking him around the court when I have felt that he has lost matches between the ears, such as the loss to Nadal at Wimbledon last year, and the loss to Fish at Queen's a few years back. The thing is though, there are times when a player just can't give anything else of themselves at that moment. The loss to Federer in the Wimbledon final is one such time. The loss to Chardy at Cincy is another, and this loss to Raonic is a classic example. It seemed to me in each of these situations that Andy went to the well and found it dry, because he'd used up all the water, if you like, previously, in simply getting himself to that first Wimbledon final under such pressure, winning the Olympics and then the USO.

It's funny that benniebone mentioned patience. There are some here, with all due respect, who could do with some. Not so that we can understand that we don't all remember all of the details as to why Andy might go out of a tournament, but to understand that after the success he has had this summer Andy might just be running on fumes to a point, and also to grasp that even the very best lose the odd match. Just ask Federer, who seemed to think he had the Olympic gold in his hands not so very long ago, until Andy let him know otherwise, and for once I'm just stating that as a fact, not as a dig at Smugfed.

I think the panic is because Andy lost to Raonic. If he'd lost to Nishikori in the final it would have been understood to a point. The thing is though, Andy did have match points in that third set in the semi. Had he converted those match points we would all be celebrating him getting one over on the great hyped one, but he didn't. The thing is, go back to Barcelona earlier in the year. I'm not sure Andy had much of a look in during that match. Then he thumped Raonic big time on the way to the title in the USO. In Japan it could be argued that Raonic had learned from the USO trouncing, but Andy still achieved match points, even after a dodgy start. A bit of luck, and maybe a bit more mental energy, might have got Andy over the line with those match points, and might have made the difference again in that third set tie-break if he had still lost those match points. In other words, instead of getting in to a state about one loss, I think we should look at it as one of those things. I am convinced that Andy will have already moved on, and so should we. I'm also convinced that Andy will get Raonic next time they meet.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Absolutely Teejay and the others.  I am surprised how some members of this forum have reacted to this loss.  It was only a 500.  Andy is tired (long season with few losses, no break as time off probably spent training or media duties).  We should be cutting him some slack and just hope that he can go deep in the rest of the Tournies as he only has points to defend at Shanghai. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 07:10 PM »

I say again, Raonic had to play out of his skin to beat a below-par Andy.  Andy knows that and so does Raonic.  I'm pretty sure neither of them are getting as excited about the match as some members of this forum are.  Whatsmore, I would think Raonic is licking his wounds more than Andy after his trouncing by Kei yesterday - on reflection he might well have preferred a narrow loss to Andy!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:10 PM »

You are being far too touchy. This was a tongue in cheek remark, is all.
I was there, I know exactly what happened.
Besides you didn't have to put up with seeing Tipsaravic instead of Andy.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Doesn't it have one more year in London after this year?  I think the players like having it here - they are very well looked after and it is very easy to get to from wherever in the world they are based - although I think they are all likely to be Europeans this year aren't they?

Yes I think it has got one more year to go. Del Potro is probably going to get in this year, so he'll be the only non-European taking part. There's an outside chance of Monaco or Raonic taking part as alternates but it's not very likely. With the calendar changing this year so that Paris/WTF are back-to-back I imagine this will strengthen the case for it staying in London.

Last year's WTF was a bit of a wash out, with Andy being injured, Nole burnt out and Rafa ill. Hopefully this year the top guys will be in better shape and it'll be a very competitive week. I bet Andy will get a really great reception when he walks onto court as Olympic and USO champion - such a lot has changed for him since last year.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06 PM »

Look up Daily Mirror news.  Tickets for £16 with fees for all days

Yeah,but the main days are up to 200.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 04:10 PM »

@TMH
I've been on my own and people are really friendly and are happy to chat.
Last year found myself sitting next to a big  Andy fan. Result.
Am going 4 times and think I'll be on my own for at least a couple of sessions. Doesn't matter.
Andy better turn up this year, is all  naughty
I've been on my own too and it's not a problem. Indeed I met a really nice woman there and we met up again last year.  She's a Rafa fan but supports Andy when Rafa not playing.  The atmosphere is so great though must admit didn't enjoy being surrounded by smug smugfed fans last year.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 11:20 PM »

I wish I had the money to go. I haven't been to a Tennis event since 2006 and I really want to see one live. I'm considering saving up to go to the French Open 2013 though if I get a job soon.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 11:31 PM »

I'm gonna go for these 10£ tickets if I can get a good train deal.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26 AM »

If you can go, go for it Prodigy. There's nothing better than actually being at a live tennis event, especially if you get a chance to see Andy.
Good luck with the job hunting. Smile
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 12:37 PM »

Yes,prodigy as  scotnadian says, go for it There will always be a reason why you shoud'nt do this or that Would'nt be wonderful if you go and Andy wins because you would always be able to say that you saw him win his first 02 ?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 96 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »