Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 96 Go Down Reply
Author

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012

(Read 14856 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1350 on: November 13, 2012, 12:52 PM »

Did you get any videos of the match so we could hear the crowd reaction from where you were sat?

Sorry, no. Only have an out-of-date mobile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1351 on: November 13, 2012, 01:32 PM »

If you all care to remember, I did state that I would be at O2 for the final. The atmosphere was fantastic; and as promised I did my best against the crowd's welcoming of Federer to boo him and express my displeasure. The guy sitting beside me asked if I did not like Federer, which in view of my reaction to him was a stupid question.

The crowd was about 80.00% for Federer, including many Brits. So much so that when Djokovic netted a FH, the crowd went ecstatic, whereas if the reverse situation happened there was a "polite" applause.

Well done Djokovic for putting the old man in his place. I am still convinced that Andy would have beaten Federer if he had been fully fit, but on the other hand I don't believe that he would have defeated Djokovic fit or not.

That doesn't surprise me. I wonder who's the most popular tennis player in the UK right now. Would love to see a poll on that.

Next time you should boo Federer off the court so that his fans can taste of their own medicine.

But sounds like you had a great time and why not? what a match to go to! I'd love to see this match if any poster here is kind enough to upload it. I always find this match-up very interesting.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean November 13, 2012, 01:40 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1352 on: November 13, 2012, 01:40 PM »

I don't understand where this Smashing of racquets thing is coming from. In most news articles people have commented that Andy got booed rightly so when changing his racquet becaue he smashed it, i have seen the video it was not exactly up there with the all time great smashes was it? more of a single tap of the court with it, it wasn't exactly smashed to pieces and neither was Nole's last night.

You're right. Thank God someone uses some sense.

I am sick of saying it now, Andy tapped his racquet on the court. It wasn't a smash, it was questionable that he even cracked it. However, he replaced it, on his own serve, so it had no bearing on Federer at all. Anyone with a brain knows that. The rulebook says that play should proceed at the servers pace, and Andy was serving. Federer's fans are just a little bit thick.

The few seconds it took Andy to replace his racquet was nothing compared to the eight minutes Smugscum made a song and dance about the 'rain' in Shanghai, all five drops of it.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1353 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Was it as much as five drops teejay?    I only counted three.   It bugs me still that more wasn't made of that at the time.    I thought it was one of the worst examples of gamesmanship I'd seen yet journos and comms and fedfans can go on about how well behaved he is on court without being challenged.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1354 on: November 13, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Was it as much as five drops teejay?    I only counted three.   It bugs me still that more wasn't made of that at the time.    I thought it was one of the worst examples of gamesmanship I'd seen yet journos and comms and fedfans can go on about how well behaved he is on court without being challenged.

I may have overstated it when I said five lol. Three sounds nearer. Either way, his behaviour should have been challenged. PF and Petch were not that impressed, but even they didn't really question it.

On Sunday night the same two were commentating, and I was, unfortunately, disgusted with the pair of them. They should have spoken about what was going on honestly, instead of glossing over it as an 'electric' atmosphere. Honestly, it takes a lot for me to be cross with Petch, but I am, very.

The way I see it is that the other players, including Andy, are trapped in a way. If they overlook what Federer does he is never called on it. If they react they are called unsporting. They can't win really.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1355 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14 PM »

Did Sky read out any of our complaint emails? I was among those who wrote in.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1356 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14 PM »

The drops were big though.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2012, 02:22 PM »

Did Sky read out any of our complaint emails? I was among those who wrote in.

No, they didn't, in fact they glossed over the whole subject.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2012, 02:22 PM »

I really feel that we should not get ourselves too upset over Federer's actions. I believe that at the most he will be with us in a competitive frame for not more than two years. His demeanour is that of an aging player.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Had a great evening at the O2 last night. Thought the error count was maybe harsh. There is a subjective element to that stat and neither player was holding back on the groundstrokes. Anyhow, despite the errors there was some great tennis. I couldn't get to sleep straight away last night - was still buzzing from the match and the atmosphere.

The crowd was predominantly pro-Federer, so we cheered on Djokovic.

Shame Andy wasn't there, but I hope everyone enjoyed the match.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1360 on: November 13, 2012, 03:03 PM »

On Sunday night the same two were commentating, and I was, unfortunately, disgusted with the pair of them. They should have spoken about what was going on honestly, instead of glossing over it as an 'electric' atmosphere. Honestly, it takes a lot for me to be cross with Petch, but I am, very.

I feel the same way.I normally really enjoy Petchey's commentary-he's interesting,knows what he's talking about,and genuinely likes Andy (when you consider some of the rubbish that we have to listen to,it makes a nice change!).But I was gobsmacked by the complete silence on the subject of the fans,by him and the others.

At first,when the entrance cheers for Smugfed were so clearly louder than for Andy,and the commentators were saying it was 50-50,I thought they were being kind to Andy.That they were just trying to look at things positively.But when all the nastiness and nonsense started I was genuinely stunned by the lack of any acknowledgement at all of what was happening-what they were clearly witnessing and listening to,just as clearly as us,even better in fact,since they were there!

When I woke up the next morning,I thought maybe I,as a fan of Andy,had just gotten upset on his behalf,that maybe I had made it seem worse in my head than it actually was.But when I saw all the articles,and online comments from journalists,photographer etc at the match,who were dismayed and horrified by what had gone on,I knew my initial feelings were right.That something should've been said,that it should've been acknowledged how badly Andy was being treated,and how much more he had deserved.

And I have to admit to feeling a little more upset with Petch than I am with the others.Maybe that's stupid,I don't know.But there it is.His commentary is the main reason I pick Sky streams to watch on when I can,rather than others,because I do genuinely enjoy his commentary most of the time.But out of all of them,he knows Andy far better than the rest.He used to work with him!He knows him as a person,and if nobody else was going to say anything,I feel that he should've.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Had a great evening at the O2 last night. Thought the error count was maybe harsh. There is a subjective element to that stat and neither player was holding back on the groundstrokes. Anyhow, despite the errors there was some great tennis. I couldn't get to sleep straight away last night - was still buzzing from the match and the atmosphere.

The crowd was predominantly pro-Federer, so we cheered on Djokovic.

Shame Andy wasn't there, but I hope everyone enjoyed the match.

Great to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much Dave!It's a shame Andy wasn't playing,but I'd say it was an incredible match to get to be there for anyway!
You weren't alone in your Nole support-there was a fair amount of us on here watching the match,and I'm pretty sure every last one of us was willing him on!We were honorary Nole fans for the night Smile Don't know if you've read over any of the posts,but I can tell you there was certainly delight on here when he won!
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1362 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Thanks Dani. I wish the season wasn't ending. I guess the Davis Cup will be on telly, so there's that.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1363 on: November 13, 2012, 03:35 PM »

I really feel that we should not get ourselves too upset over Federer's actions. I believe that at the most he will be with us in a competitive frame for not more than two years. His demeanour is that of an aging player.

His demeanour has been that of an ageing player for the last 5 years at least.    And the reason I get so upset is because it's never mentioned how badly he can behave and Andy is jumped on for very little.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2012 « Reply #1364 on: November 13, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Thanks Dani. I wish the season wasn't ending. I guess the Davis Cup will be on telly, so there's that.
Me too Dave!In fact,in a way it's really weird-I only discovered this forum this summer,but I've loved tennis since I started taking lessons when i was really small,and I've been an Andy fan in particular for years.So other years,when off-season came,I'd obviously wish it'd hurry up and be Jan (though I do love christmas,so there's that).But this year,I've gotten so used to coming on here and chatting with everyone all the time about anything going on with Andy,looking forward to the matches together,etc,that now I'm even more dismayed that it's off-season!
Oh well-gotta remember that off-season always means it's nearly christmas time Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 ... 96 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »