Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013

(Read 5057 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Good job done by JM. Hope he recovers his bag containing his rosary beads from Popie and hopefully his USO Slam winning racquets weren't in there either.
Such a shame an athlete can't put his bag down for a second to allow fans to take pics, then turns around and.. hey presto.. bag gone.
Shame on that person.Frown

Dipped into my man Stan's win against Berdy earlier.
Good stuff from Stan in his first appearance at WTF.
Terrible stuff from Tomas in his (I think?) 7th appearance.

6th Smile
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Was the two ladies with the "we miss you Andy" banner anyone from here ?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54 PM »

I was wondering that - they've been mentioned on twitter.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14 AM »

I watched a bit of the Gasquet/Del Potro match yesterday. Pleased to see Gasquet play well after being written off by the pundits (agree with Andy's tweets there). The lost set may be costly for Del Potro later on - hopefully he'll improve in his next matches.

The on-court announcer described Del Potro as the number 4 player in the world yesterday - bit of a blunder! Number 4 *seed* here yes, but he's not overtaken Andy yet...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19 PM »

I got surprisingly caught up in Delpo/Gasquet. I was chuffed to see Gasquet play well. I think the pundits have been really disrespectful of him. The funny thing is that though I like his game I'm not keen on him, but I think that will change if the pundits continue to be dismissive. The group he's in is tough, don't get me wrong, but they crossed the line last night, laughing like fools while writing him off. It was rude. Maybe in Andy's absence Gasquet is going to be the pundits new whipping boy.

I hope someone has a word with the announcer, reminds him about the rankings. I nearly choked on a drink when I heard him get Delpo's ranking wrong. Then I convinced myself I'd heard it wrong.

As for Andy, I love his twitter observations. I also join him in wanting to know why Petch was shouting yesterday Smile.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43 PM »

I got surprisingly caught up in Delpo/Gasquet. I was chuffed to see Gasquet play well. I think the pundits have been really disrespectful of him. The funny thing is that though I like his game I'm not keen on him, but I think that will change if the pundits continue to be dismissive. The group he's in is tough, don't get me wrong, but they crossed the line last night, laughing like fools while writing him off. It was rude. Maybe in Andy's absence Gasquet is going to be the pundits new whipping boy.

Yes it was disrespectful of them Teejay - a bit like last week when they were wondering whether it was a matter of how many games Ferrer would win against Nadal. Both players proved them wrong. It's annoying though because pundits should be neutral rather than writing some players off before the match has even started and over-hyping others.

Hope Andy will continue with his tennis tweets - he'll make a great commentator when he's finished playing tennis. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02 PM »

I missed the start of Ferrer/Nadal Katie, so I didn't hear them writing Ferrer off. I agree though, the pundits shouldn't write people off before a match has even begun. I don't mind a simple recognition of a match up being tough, that sort of thing, but as for Gasquet last night, according to the pundits, he had no chance against Delpo and none against anyone else either.

It was amusing, sort of, to hear the pundits do an about turn at one point and rush to justify Gasquet getting in to the WTF, but they clearly think he's wasting his time if some of the comments yesterday were anything to go by. It wasn't so much the comments that annoyed me though. It was the inane laughter while they wrote Gasquet off. It was rude and totally uncalled for.

Becker also earned the sharp end of my tongue yesterday, harping on about Andy and the way he 'should' want to get to world no.1 straight away. Why can't these stupid people accept that players are allowed to have priorities or different goals? Why should Andy want to be even remotely like Becker? Personally I remain convinced Andy does want to be no.1 at some point. More to the point I am convinced he will be. If his priority (when he is fit and back on tour) remains winning slams though, not his ranking, I will be perfectly fine with that. I mean, when since has it been wrong for a pro tennis player to want to win more slams? I wish Becker et al, would just leave Andy alone.

I'm not sure about Andy as a commentator. Mind you, it would never be dull  Whistle.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #52 on: November 05, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Nadal maybe off his game again, but Ferrer not really on it completely could be a fun one.
[ Last edit by laundry November 05, 2013, 02:47 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #53 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57 PM »

Sort of want ferrer to win this but for andys ranking sake I will hope Nadal does it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 03:00 PM »

This court is so slow - it's taking Nadal's topspin really well.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 03:01 PM »

As for Andy, I love his twitter observations. I also join him in wanting to know why Petch was shouting yesterday Smile.

I love the way he is critical of the pundits as he calls them.  Apparently his support of Gasquet was being talked about on French TV.  Hope they remember it next time he plays in France.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19 PM »

With Ferrer not playing so well it's always going to be one-sided
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41 PM »

And that, folks, is why players tank in Paris.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Poor quality match - Ferrer looked exhausted. His footwork was well below his usual level. I think Berdych might have a chance of beating him tomorrow.

I didn't think Rafa was that impressive himself really. He didn't hit many winners but with Ferrer making so many errors the match was comfortable for him.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2013 « Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14 PM »

Was the two ladies with the "we miss you Andy" banner anyone from here ?

Wasn't me! Wouldn't have had space, and I don't think the cameras go up top much anyway. Was great to see it on the screen though.

Had a fun time at the O2 yesterday though. Watched Berdy practising for a few minutes, then went to the Fan Zone and watched a bit of the lovely Ross Hutchins chatting with Rob Curling on the 11.45 Holding Court Show.

Went to my seat up on Level 4 to watch the tennis. Saw the doubles match - I had so hoped that Jamie & John would qualify, and it was odd to see the Poles wearing the same kit as they do, and one of them is a leftie!

Then Stan v Tomas. The Swiss supporters were already in full voice (and dress), so I imagine it will be rowdy tonight. Berdy seemed nervous and always trying to keep up - until the bizarre tie break! I was pleased it went to three sets, and we got a few longer rallies as the match went on.

Back to the Fan Zone and got front row seat for Ferrer's practice. It was only about 24 hours after playing the Paris final and he looked tired. He had two players the other side of the net and they  played almost continuous long rallies for about 10 minutes, then volleys, then I left. I passed the court where Djoko was practising, but couldn't see much from the back of quite a crowd.

I gave away my evening ticket as I decided I'd regret missing my son's band's album launch gig more than I'd regret missing that match. Glad to see it was more competitive than many predicted, and love Andy's comments! I'll be back there for more on Thursday.

I don't think we can expect everyone to keep mentioning Andy as one of the top eight, it would get quite tiresome. They probably didn't do it for Rafa last year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »