Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Bernard Tomic. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Bernard Tomic.

(Read 5510 times)
arka
Bernard Tomic. « on: July 24, 2006, 10:45 PM »

Sadly, he is not British, he is Australian. Frown

I am scared. I am scared about what this boy may do when he is fully ready to play in the Men's tour. He was born in October 1992 but he is ranked 170 in the Juniors. shocking

What is really funny is that the next youngest Junior is ranked erm.... 1197 as far as I know.

He is qualifying for tournaments and winning them, crushing everything in his path and handing out bagels generously to 17-18 year olds.

Check out his career stats for yourself and feel your jaw drop:
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/activity.asp?player=100096396

No one in the present Men's circuit was anywhere hear what he is at his age now. no  Except Hewitt to a certain extent maybe. He is good enough to start Futures at this moment, but he is taking his time.

They are marketing him pretty well and have a team working behind him. In fact the same company that manages Federer, IMG is taking care of him.

He has an official site at the age of 13. Surprised
http://www.bernardtomic21.info/latest.htm

The way I see it, if the success does not get into his head and he can continue like this, he will win all the Slams by the time he is 21 or something like that.
[ Last edit by Arka October 20, 2006, 09:53 AM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:49 PM »

Thanks Arka. I agree that this kid looks to be something special.   :P

We should be seeing him on the tour in 3-4 years time.

Some of his results are amazing.  clap
IP Logged
arka
Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:09 PM »

You are welcome.

Our best 13 year old is Nick Jones(Welsh Very Happy) I believe. He is pretty promising, but I doubt that he will do anything biiiiig with this monster out there.

But what happens often is that great Juniors and child prodigies often fail to reproduce that form later on. Aaron Krickstein won an ATP title at the age of 16 and 3. shocking He never progressed beyond world number 6. Frown Chang crushed all sorts of Junior records and got the French Open title at 17. But he didn't do justice to the promise he showed. no
[ Last edit by Arka July 24, 2006, 11:11 PM ] IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:41 PM »

^ Arka has the most important aspect there.

Many Juniors shine but when it comes to the crucial stage of changing from Junior to being with the big boys? Most of them never actually make it. Take Henman for example - his Junior record is pretty poor - but it never stopped him making it big. I believe it's the same with Federer. So maybe Junior events aren't actually a great sign of what will happen when it comes to stepping up.
[ Last edit by top_spin January 05, 2009, 06:00 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43 PM »

He started playing at 7  shocking

So he has been playing for only 6 years.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:48 PM »

Some of these statistics are...  shocking

Tomic won his fourth successive 18-and-under event at 13, dropping only one set in 24 matches.

IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 03:38 PM »

Yea he does sound good, but only time will tell. I'll look out for the name... for some reason it sounds funny, not sure why  Think
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:32 PM »

Checking out the Jamie Baker site I noticed this little bit of info on Brendan Evans. Kind of backs up the whole thing about junior potential and also shows just how well guys like Andy and Novak and Gasquet are doing to be where they are now and not still slogging it out in the challengers and futures like so many of the juniors they used to play against. Check it out.

From http://www.freewebs.com/jamiebakeronline/ -Jamie opens his campaign on the hard courts of Lexington against American Brendan Evans. Evans is currently ranked 343, just over 50 places lower than Jamie but he is a former world junior no 2 and in 2004 he won 3 out of the 4 junior grand slam doubles titles: Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open. Jamie and Evans have played once before, on the junior circuit in June 2004 when Evans won 6-1, 6-3 on the grass courts of Roehampton. Evans' recent form has been fairly impressive, he's narrowly failed to qualify for the ATP events in Newport and Indianapolis in the last couple of weeks and in June he played several futures tournaments in the USA, winning one in Rocklin and reaching the semis of another in Woodland.

(if this is impressive form for the guy who was world no 2 junior in '04 what's the 4th round of Wimbledon and an ATP title and No 1 seed at said Newport)
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 10:56 PM »

i think i will bump this... cause i started a topic... and i didnt know arka had started one... but yea this kid is INCREDIBLE!!!!
IP Logged
arka
Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 06:47 AM »

I think that I'll start a thread where we can post stuff on all upcoming players and unique tennis cases.

Creating new threads all the time can be annoying. And I want a place to post updates on the careers of people like JMDP.
[ Last edit by Arka August 13, 2006, 07:25 AM ] IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:08 AM »

god call me an idiot but who the heck is JMDP? and great idea as far as that thread is concerned... did you see Sam Querry in the Cincy draw arka? plays nadal... nadal is goin down...
IP Logged
arka
Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 07:19 AM »

JMDP is Juan Martin Del Potro. notworthy
He is Argentenian and in my opinion the one who has the greatest chance of putting Orc hegemony on the clay tour to its fitting end. :P

I think that Nadal will be ended by a combined effort by JMDP, Cilic and Eysseric but JMDP should be the champion of our cause.

JMDP was born in September 1988 and was unranked at the start of 2005. But since then he has steadily increased his points total. He was struggling to establish a foothold in the ATP senior circuit, winning only one of his first five matches. Then came the Roland Garros qualies and he qualified and impressed everyone even though he lost to Ferrero in the first round.

Post RG:

He became a more mature player after RG as he won four out of his next six tour matches and reached the quarter finals of an ATP event for the first time. He also won his first 100K Challenger earlier this month, beating Fernando Verdasco (world number 27) on his way to the final. As a result of all this, he is ranked 113 at this moment, higher than any other seventeen year old by a good margin. clap

What impresses me more is not the ranking but the way he has improved since Roland Garros. Surprised

and great idea as far as that thread is concerned...

Thanks. Smile
Will create one soon.

did you see Sam Querry in the Cincy draw arka? plays nadal... nadal is goin down...

Yep.

Bad luck Nadal. wink
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 01:47 PM »

word... i mean taking a 6-1 set off of blake is no small accomplishment...
IP Logged
arka
Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 01:51 PM »

Exactly.

Nadal will have problems coming out of that quarter. Querrey has nothing to lose and will give his best. Then he may play his good friends Arnaud Clement and Tomas Berdych or Blake. :P
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 02:48 PM »

ooooh... what a quarter to come through...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »