Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Bernard Tomic. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Bernard Tomic.  (Read 4946 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #75 on: February 04, 2012, 06:36 PM »

Also now I'm wondering if there's another kind of connection. Australia has a quite rigid immigration policy so when were Tomics' allowed in? Before or after he displayed such talent?
Yes Aileen, that's what made the whole thing about Zola Budd so shocking Frown

Not sure about Austrailian immigration policy but they do seem to be quite happy to admit talented sportsmen/women - particularly tennis players!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #76 on: February 05, 2012, 01:34 AM »

Also now I'm wondering if there's another kind of connection. Australia has a quite rigid immigration policy so when were Tomics' allowed in? Before or after he displayed such talent?
According to his wikipedia, the Tomics emigrated to Queensland when he was 3 years old, or 5 years old, whichever story you believe, but still a little early for his talent to be recognised I would have thought.

Not sure about Austrailian immigration policy but they do seem to be quite happy to admit talented sportsmen/women - particularly tennis players!
Yes - but Zola Budd shows quite clearly that the UK is guilty of the same thing, and I suspect that goes for a few other countries as well, although, of course, our immigration policy has always been far too lenient and shows little signs of improving.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Bernard will be missing more than one tournament if he gets clobbered by the court - but does anyone else feel that the appropriate palms will be suitably greased??

Tomic pulls from San Jose in clash with court date

Trouble with traffic cops, resulting in a mandatory court
appearance, forces Bernard Tomic to withdraw from San Jose.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20120204/Tomic_pulls_from_San_Jose_in_clash_with_court_date

Also does anyone want to buy a high-powered, flame-orange BMW coupe? Very Happy

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Why am I not surprised at this ...?! [skynews.com.au, 14 Feb]

Tomic pleads not guilty to charges

Rising tennis star Bernard Tomic has pleaded not guilty in a Gold Coast court to two traffic offences.

The 19-year-old has been charged with crossing over double lines and failing to stop in an incident that led to a stand off with police at his Southport home.

No bail was set in the Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday and the matter was adjourned for mention in April.

Police and Tomic's lawyers will take part in case conferencing to discuss the matter before then.

Outside the court, lawyer Chris Nyst said his client was facing minor charges and, contrary to some media reports, there was 'no suggestion of hooning'.

'... there's no suggestion of irresponsible driving, dangerous driving, anything of that nature,' he told reporters.

'They're the most minor matters as has been recognised by the court today.

'We're going to speak to police about them and see what happens from there.'

Asked if he would be buying another high-powered car, Tomic laughed and replied 'not here' before Mr Nyst said his client would not comment on any aspect of the court case.

However the young star said the case had not affected his performance on the court.

'It's not a big deal, I'm playing well,' he said.

'I played well in the Davis Cup, we won five-love, and I hope this year will be a good year for me.'

Tomic was pulled over in his V8 BMW M3 on Albert Avenue at Broadbeach around 12.40pm (AEST) on Australia Day and given a $300 infringement notice, before being booked again two and a half hours.

At the time, police said the tickets were for driving a high-powered vehicle in breach of the special conditions of his licence.

After being issued with the second ticket, Tomic was followed home by a police car with lights flashing. He parked his car in the driveway behind locked security gates and refused to speak to police until his lawyer arrived.

Police later issued a statement alleging Tomic had failed to stop for officers after being issued with the second ticket.

He was charged with failing to stop his car and with not keeping to the left of double dividing lines on the road.

The matter is due to return to court on April 5.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #79 on: March 10, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Bad week for Tomic - split with his girlfriend and now out of Indian Wells in 1st round defeat to Gilles Muller 4-6 7-6 6-0.

IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #80 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14 PM »

But he,s still got his car. cmon yeah
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #81 on: March 10, 2012, 06:36 PM »

But he,s still got his car. cmon yeah

Not sure about that Robbie!

from Aileen's link
http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20120204/Tomic_pulls_from_San_Jose_in_clash_with_court_date

"Now, with the furor over his traffic dramas big news in Australia, Tomic has said he will reluctantly sell his supercar worth around $160,000 new.......I now want to focus on my tennis without any distractions."

and now "I'm focusing on my tennis and I wish her the best," ... "We are no longer together. She has her plans and career in modelling to worry about and I have to focus on my tennis."

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 02:20 AM »

Bad week for Tomic - split with his girlfriend and now out of Indian Wells in 1st round defeat to Gilles Muller 4-6 7-6 6-0.

He's young - he'll get over the split fairly quickly.  At least he sounds upbeat about it.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 05:15 PM »

Tomic lost to Ferrer 6-4 6-4.
Tweet from someone- Tomic asks for his father/coach to be removed. When his father gets a warning for coaching - Bernard says "thank you" to the umpire. STRANGE
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Watched Bernard's match today Think

Just goes to show how well Judy has handled her son , Tomic's dad looks as if he puts a heck of a lot of pressure on young Bernard ranting
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04 PM »

Tomic lost to Ferrer 6-4 6-4.
Tweet from someone- Tomic asks for his father/coach to be removed. When his father gets a warning for coaching - Bernard says "thank you" to the umpire. STRANGE
His dad is a bit of a nutter i think.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Yes I heard he was very controlling and will not take advice from other coaches.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Am watching Fed and Ryan Harrison,it took Fed 24 mins for the first set. its really boring when the match up is so far apart.Harrison has nothing to stop him.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Mr Smug has just won 2 sets to love. But Harrison came back from 5 - 3 to force a tie break. Mr Smug won  the tie break 7 - 1
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Bernard Tomic. « Reply #89 on: March 24, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Yes I heard he was very controlling and will not take advice from other coaches.
Another tweet - Bernard Tomic says coaching dispute with dad/ump was misunderstanding. Said he only asked dad to get racquets restrung, got warned.

but yes, the dad is a problem. bernie looks pretty uncomfortable here
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »