Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Can Del Potro get back into top 5? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Can Del Potro get back into top 5?

(Read 1163 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « on: February 26, 2012, 05:18 PM »

[From SkySports today]

The fourth seed conceded only 13 points on serve as he swept aside the home crowd's favourite, firing down 11 aces against the 2010 champion.

Del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion and now rebuilding his career afrer injury, broke once in each set and did not face a break point on his way to victory in just 82 minutes.

Del Potro briefly wobbled at 0-30 down when serving for the match, but closed out the victory when Llodra netted a forehand.

"It is a really nice moment. I'm really glad to win this tournament," the world number 10 said. "I think that sometimes I play smarter than three or four years ago."[/q]

Not surprisingly perhaps, Delpo was defeated by Federer in Rotterdam, just as he was in the AO QF, but,  having watched his last two matches in Marseille against Tsonga and then Llodra, I'd say that Delpo has definitely improved since last year, when he did well to claw his way back from a world ranking of 485 - but can he regain the form which took him to No.4 before injury struck?
[ Last edit by Mark February 26, 2012, 06:42 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Can Del Potro get back into the top 5? « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:44 PM »

I think he can definitely get back to number 5. I've been really impressed by what I've seen from him this week in Marseille and last week in Rotterdam. He's had good wins - Berdych, Gasquet, Tsonga - which show that he's playing well.

At the moment there's still a big gap between him and the top four, and it doesn't help that he has poor head-to-head records against all of them (especially Andy and Novak). I still expect him to get occasional wins against them though - probably the most likely win for him would be against Rafa.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58 AM »

He can and I think he eventually will but right now, as Katie mentioned, there’s a certain gap between him and the top four. He's good enough to beat anyone else. Against Federer, he gets a bit too tentative, lacks patience etc. Federer, on the other hand, just waits for him to make mistakes and he often does. All these players, be it Nadal or Nole or Andy or Federer, they all are simply better than Del Potro not to mention way better movers.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:31 AM »

I think Delpo has the potential to get back into the top 5 but possibly not this year.  From what he's said, he has the will and determination to get there, and attitude counts for a lot, but I think he needs to win a few more minor tournaments to boost his confidence.  Also his movement could hamper him. It didn't affect his success in 2009 but over the last two years the game has become faster and more physically demanding, so for the moment at least he's still playing catch-up.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37 PM »

My world revolves around Andy so obviously I only want Del Potro to pick up only that much where he beats everybody but always loses to Andy. Selfish, aren’t I? :p
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Don't give a toss about this guy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Delpo is one of my favourite players, after Andy, but I would definitely not like him to go above Andy in the rankings.  My thinking was that if Andy got to No.3, which is a possibility, then Delpo would be welcome at No. 4 or 5!

Don't give a toss about this guy.
Each to their own ...
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48 PM »

We really don't want Delpo to improve too much. His big serve and FH are mighty weapons so if he moves faster then it gets dangerous.  Fortunately he is not too fast yet so this is big plus.  It is bad enough with 3 players for Andy to beat to win his first GS so let's not introduce Delpo into the equation until a year or two down the line lol
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Delpo is one of my favourite players, after Andy, but I would definitely not like him to go above Andy in the rankings.  My thinking was that if Andy got to No.3, which is a possibility, then Delpo would be welcome at No. 4 or 5!
Each to their own ...
C'mon Aileen, it's just his curls that you like.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53 PM »

We really don't want Delpo to improve too much. His big serve and FH are mighty weapons so if he moves faster then it gets dangerous.  Fortunately he is not too fast yet so this is big plus.  It is bad enough with 3 players for Andy to beat to win his first GS so let's not introduce Delpo into the equation until a year or two down the line lol
I did say he had the potential to get into the top 5, but possibly not this year, by which time Andy will hopefully have won his first Slam, be brimming with confidence and will be swatting contenders away like flies. Smile

I like more than his curls. innocent  Also Delpo may be cute but ...

[ Last edit by Aileen February 27, 2012, 10:02 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:08 AM »

robbie, may we talk about your hair now?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14 AM »

He's probably bald ... Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 02:25 AM »

He's probably bald ... Very Happy

OMG! snap Aileen! I was just going to ask, is it curly hair, straight hair or no hair at all? lolol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36 AM »

OMG! snap Aileen! I was just going to ask, is it curly hair, straight hair or no hair at all? lolol
Don't know, because I've never seen a pic of him - but I do have a rough idea of his age ...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Can Del Potro get back into top 5? « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52 AM »

I fear Andy will lose a lot of his hair too. It's such a terrible thing to happen to men. Pete has lost a lot of hair already and looks older than he should.

Aileen, were you ever a fan of Pete? You know you like Raonic so I thought maybe you like Pete too?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »