Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Club talk and tennis tips 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27 Go Down Reply
Author

Club talk and tennis tips

(Read 11255 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #270 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Do you play team tennis, JK? We were 2nd bottom of the league before I perked my game up in June. Two games to go and we might get promoted yet.

yeah  I play in the under 18 Stepps team.  Haven't won a match.    We are in a tough division tho.  Our season is over now  Frown  Last year was so different.  We actually  won games...   the coaching is still going strong.  I Love it.  We evaluate our serves  using this ipad thingy.  And we can measure the speed of our serves using it.
Also we have new courts.   Last year we had blaes courts.   Its awesome.. has floodlights and everything.  It even has this board thing that you rebound the ball off... just for practise  Its quite cool  Very Happy
good luck for the rest of the season.  I hope you do get promoted !
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #271 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26 PM »

yeah  I play in the under 18 Stepps team.  Haven't won a match.    We are in a tough division tho.  Our season is over now  Frown  Last year was so different.  We actually  won games...   the coaching is still going strong.  I Love it.  We evaluate our serves  using this ipad thingy.  And we can measure the speed of our serves using it.
Also we have new courts.   Last year we had blaes courts.   Its awesome.. has floodlights and everything.  It even has this board thing that you rebound the ball off... just for practise  Its quite cool  Very Happy
good luck for the rest of the season.  I hope you do get promoted !

What are your strengths? I have an awesome double-handed backhand but my serve is utter pants.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #272 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28 PM »

Your club looks cool:

http://www.steppstennis.co.uk/

Here's mine - five hard courts and two kids' courts:

http://www.chorleytennisclub.org.uk/

The girl in the pink with the white racket is my daughter, who's seriously good at tennis (county quarter-finals):

http://www.chorleytennisclub.org.uk/junior_tennis.html
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #273 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36 PM »

What are your strengths? I have an awesome double-handed backhand but my serve is utter pants.

I can hit some aces now and again  Smile  Some people say my serve is really fast   and my FH can be deadly.   My Double BH  is  meh.. ok    could be better.  I am a baseliner  who likes to attack.  I cannot volley at all.  I'm crap at volleying  lol.    I got double bagelled today  haha  by probably the best junior player at the club.   he was 13.  LOL. Totally Destroyed .  It wasn't a nice feeling tho.  Its always good tho  to play someone who is a better player than you. 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #274 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41 PM »

Your club looks cool:

http://www.steppstennis.co.uk/

Here's mine - five hard courts and two kids' courts:

http://www.chorleytennisclub.org.uk/

The girl in the pink with the white racket is my daughter, who's seriously good at tennis (county quarter-finals):

http://www.chorleytennisclub.org.uk/junior_tennis.html

great!!  Smile
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #275 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53 PM »

I got double bagelled today  haha  by probably the best junior player at the club.   he was 13.  LOL. Totally Destroyed .  It wasn't a nice feeling tho.  Its always good tho  to play someone who is a better player than you. 
I lost 1&0 to a 13 year old a few weeks ago. Won the first game, had a break point or 2 in the 2nd game, had a few other games that went to deuce as well. And the 2rd set got away from me fairly quickly. Can also remember breaking a string at some point in the first set so that didn't really help.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #276 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57 PM »

Preparing to play Alan MacDonald in about 30/35mins... lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #277 on: August 10, 2012, 05:38 PM »

I can hit some aces now and again  Smile  Some people say my serve is really fast   and my FH can be deadly.   My Double BH  is  meh.. ok    could be better.  I am a baseliner  who likes to attack.  I cannot volley at all.  I'm crap at volleying  lol.    I got double bagelled today  haha  by probably the best junior player at the club.   he was 13.  LOL. Totally Destroyed .  It wasn't a nice feeling tho.  Its always good tho  to play someone who is a better player than you.  

Ah god I hate that feeling. Haven't played tennis since I was younger but used to play badminton fairly competitively. I'm a huge confidence player though and a massive bottler (the minute I start losing I just can't turn it around, my head goes). A couple of brothers joined (one a year younger, one about four years younger), both very good. I was better than the younger lad though, but crumbled against him and lose a really close match having lead comfortably. Just lost all confidence after that, not fun getting beaten by someone so much younger.

I wish I'd stuck it out because I was improving quite quick and had beaten a few of guys at my age, but my best mate was the best one there and all in all it was just too confidence-draining losing so often. I'm way too frail mentally.

Problem was, we'd only play half-court singles or doubles due to only having four courts, and I was best in full-court singles, where I could move around the court and stretch my opponent. You just can't do that in half-court singles, it's just back and forth. I hated doubles as well, was all too aware when I was letting my team-mate down, and even when I hit a good winner the "well done" just felt too patronising.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #278 on: August 10, 2012, 06:40 PM »

Double bagel as expected. Though there was 2 games when I had a game point or 2.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #279 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02 PM »

I did a few drop shots today so I'm proud of myself.

I almost died of exhaustion though - my god the heat and humidity today was tough. I was sweating buckets.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #280 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06 PM »

I did a few drop shots today so I'm proud of myself.

I almost died of exhaustion though - my god the heat and humidity today was tough. I was sweating buckets.
Good drop shots or like the ones on Top Spin that often go closer to the baseline than the net?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #281 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09 PM »

Good drop shots or like the ones on Top Spin that often go closer to the baseline than the net?
One really good one and the others were lame mid-court ones. But this is the first time I'm using them again, just teaching myself.

Today I also worked on moving into the court more. Typically I'm an old school Murray - way behind the baseline.
[ Last edit by Mark August 10, 2012, 11:13 PM ] IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #282 on: August 10, 2012, 11:11 PM »

One really good one and the others were lame mid-court ones. But this is the first time I'm using them again, just teaching myself again.

Today I also worked on moving into the court more. Typically I'm an old school Murray way behind the baseline.

Are you going to practice every day? Not fair. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #283 on: August 10, 2012, 11:12 PM »

Are you going to practice every day? Not fair. Rolling Eyes
I aim to do most days whilst the weather lasts, I have a lot to work on. I'm giving myself a crash course in tennis.

But don't worry, weather will no doubt go back to normal soon.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #284 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16 PM »

I aim to do most days whilst the weather lasts, I have a lot to work on. I'm giving myself a crash course in tennis.

But don't worry, weather will no doubt go back to normal soon.

I don't like you anymore.

I'm going to be so out of practice by the time September rolls around.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »