Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Club talk and tennis tips 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Reply
Author

Club talk and tennis tips

(Read 11645 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Club talk and tennis tips « on: April 18, 2009, 02:28 PM »

Thought it would be good to have a thread where we talk about our tennis...

I currently have a slight problem with my serving... I start the serve with the correct grip but I can't resist slightly changing towards a forehand grip at the point of contact... anyone else have this issue? I get really fast flat serves this way but obviously it's probably really stupid to do. When I try using the correct grip throughout the serve they are pretty low in power... is that just because I'm not used to using those particular muscles?
[ Last edit by Mark April 18, 2009, 02:48 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:33 PM »

You're supposed to use the chopper grip when you serve, I personally don't.

I'm self taught so, like you, I use an almost forehand grip.

However, when I want to hit a slice/kick serve, I'll revert to the chopper grip because it does allow for you to hit across the face of the ball and create more spin.

My average serve speed is probably somewhere around 90-95 MPH with my unorthodox grip, that's good enough for me.

My main problem with my game at the moment is my backhand, it's my Achilles heel, and I'm starting to turn into Lopez/Gonzalez and slice every BH. I use a one hander, and any high balls just kill me, I'm trying to take the ball when it's coming down which is quite difficult, because I prefer to take the ball on the rise.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:36 PM »

Glad to hear you use the same incorrect serve grip as me, the chopper grip feels far too weak and actually hurts a bit when I try and put some power into it but maybe that's just due to lack of practice with those particular muscles.

Apart from the serve issue, I'm very happy with my game from a technical perspective... although overhead smashes are comical for me, it's like 1/20 I'll get it in lol
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:40 PM »

Glad to hear you use the same incorrect serve grip as me, the chopper grip feels far too weak and actually hurts a bit when I try and put some power into it but maybe that's just due to lack of practice with those particular muscles.

Apart from the serve issue, I'm very happy with my game from a technical perspective... although overhead smashes are comical for me, it's like 1/20 I'll get it in lol

You need to pronate your wrist for an effective serve with a chopper grip, otherwise you'll just roll the ball in. Look on videos of wrist pronation on YT. I personally prefer my tried and tested grip.

Overheads are difficult, unless you practice them, it's very rare to use them in matches, unless you're an aggressive player. I prefer to let overheads bounce and then adjust my footwork and let rip.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:43 PM »

You need to pronate your wrist for an effective serve with a chopper grip
roflmao
Sorry - I apologise for lowering the tone and inflitrating this thread, but when I read that, I really couldn't keep a straight face.  lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:45 PM »

You need to pronate your wrist for an effective serve with a chopper grip
I do that already but it still feels hard to get power from it. It feels quite a strain on the wrist Think

Sorry - I apologise for lowering the tone and inflitrating this thread, but when I read that, I really couldn't keep a straight face.  lol
This thread isn't for girls, get back in the kitchen!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:47 PM »

I do that already but it still feels hard to get power from it.
This thread isn't for girls, get back in the kitchen!
no bounce
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 02:52 PM »

roflmao

I love an innuendo as much as anyone, but I don't see the link. lmao

Julia has a great serve technique, she just doesn't have a consistent serve, tends to overhit it if anything.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04 PM »

I'm starting to turn into Lopez/Gonzalez

roflmao

It's all about practise folks, I got a fair bit of coaching in my early years - they teach you the chopper grip serve as soon as you can hit a flat forehand, it's crucial. My favourite shot is ze topspin forehand and I can hit a reasonable double handed backhand and for a girl I'd say my biggest weapon is power. Smile

A technique that improved my serve the most was standing on the service line and chucking balls into the opposite service box (without a racket) it works like f**k if you do it properly. I can't wait to have Andrew as a weekly tennis partner if I get my grades this summer, I will bore him with hours of serving, I need it cmon yeah
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06 PM »

I'll live 3 mins from all-weather courts with floodlights, yayyayayayayayayayay!  yay

You are indeed quite powerful considering you are a lady, I put it down to all that swimming. Wink However, you have the finesse of a wounded rhino at the net.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:08 PM »

I used to have 1on1 coaching when I was younger, helped with a lot of things but learning to serve was so unfun!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 03:10 PM »

I personally prefer to return as well, less pressure. I tend to tighten up on very big points when I'm serving, whereas it won't affect me when I'm returning. I suppose that's the case for most people though.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 03:15 PM »

I'll live 3 mins from all-weather courts with floodlights, yayyayayayayayayayay!  yay

You are indeed quite powerful considering you are a lady, I put it down to all that swimming. Wink However, you have the finesse of a wounded rhino at the net.

highfive 

You seriously think I have a chance in hell of getting on the Glasgow Uni team? roflmao

The net infuriates me, especially when you start your slicing ****, why must you feel like you have to trick me all the time!!!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 03:21 PM »

Some of the girls were fantastic, you may as well go to the trial though, good fun. Very Happy  hug I think you have a chance if you play well because your forehand and backhand are great when you're playing well.

The uni courts are great though, and because only students can go on who have joined the tennis club, it's effectively only for 40-50 people.  w00t

I love using slice, feels great to take all the pace out of a rally, plus you can't handle it, it's hilarious. :P
IP Logged
bestofbarry
Seed

Re: Club talk and tennis tips « Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 08:10 PM »

Aren't you meant to be able to hit a flat or slice serve with the chopper grip?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »